[Mk2] [Turbo] engine mods, engine swap, more power etc etc.....

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

[Mk2] [Turbo] engine mods, engine swap, more power etc etc.....

Post by Ryan S »

Ok, so I'm about to free up quite a bit of cash through my business come March maybe February, I'm not 100% yet, I do know I want to spend it on the car though, I'm happy with the bodywork but I'd like to get a bit more power from the car, so, do I go for a 5sgte build? or use the 3sgte? I actually did think about a v6 turbo but i think it's just a bit more than i'm willing to spend on the car, I'd like to get the car to run a reliable 400bhp which isn't a massive figure but it's what I'm after, is the 3sgte ok at this level of power? what;s the best way to go about it all?? buy all the parts etc then have them fitted, or do it a bit at a time etc? I'll 100% be getting somebody else to build it from start to finish (i'll even put a "bought not built" sticker on it incase I enter any events). what i don't want is my car being off the road for months at a time, ideally maybe build up another engine outside of the car then have it fitted....or do i just bang some forgies (yes Bob, they will be the correct CR) in my current engine with better turbo, ecu and fuelling???

all advice welcome, i've never done a build or anything before and i'm not even convinced i need to do it in all honesty, but, i will have the spare cash and i would like to get something engine wise. frustratingly i;ve obviously just missed out on Gullzters ready built engine :(

Just to add to this, I'd be very interested in something ready built that could drop right in :thumleft:
synXero

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] engine mods, engine swap, more power etc etc.....

Post by synXero »

Definitely best way is going to be buying everything you want and having it all prepared before you start swapping anything. Prep in the kitchen and that!

I suppose the other thing you need to do is define a budget which will dictate how expensive a setup you can justify ?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

V6 tubby .. gets my vote :mrgreen: .. why not push the boundaries.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

2mad wrote:V6 tubby .. gets my vote :mrgreen: .. why not push the boundaries.

V6 is deffo out, that would require the car being off the road for too long for fabrication etc, plus turboing it would require too much messing about. if there was a v6 turbo option that dropped right in I would do it, but there isn't one that I'm aware of :(

Yeah I think I'm gonna have to do a bit of shopping, no idea if I should go 5s or just use my current engine still, budget is around the 5k mark at the moment (for parts) then I'll just pay the labour as i go, so probably around 8k, I will have more (quite a lot more) cash but I'm not sure how much I'm prepared to throw at the car, I think a reliable 400bhp can be achieved well within that budget :-k
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

sheppy wrote:

V6 is deffo out, that would require the car being off the road for too long for fabrication etc, plus turboing it would require too much messing about. if there was a v6 turbo option that dropped right in I would do it, but there isn't one that I'm aware of :(

Yeah I think I'm gonna have to do a bit of shopping, no idea if I should go 5s or just use my current engine still, budget is around the 5k mark at the moment (for parts) then I'll just pay the labour as i go, so probably around 8k, I will have more (quite a lot more) cash but I'm not sure how much I'm prepared to throw at the car, I think a reliable 400bhp can be achieved well within that budget :-k

i also want it to be useable power not just a top end figure, i.e. 400bhp between 6-7k rpm is a waste of time, i want as much power as possible all the way through the rev range.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

why is it a waste of time??

engines are designed to make peak hp near redline.

get something that spools quick, makes and holds 400hp at 6-7k rpm

at 400hp, it is not going to spool like a ct20b. you are also not going to be making 400hp at 5k rpm.
you will have a massive 150hp hit from like 4k-5.5k rpm on a 400hp level build so there will be a huge amount of torque difference coming on boost when making numbers like that.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

sheppy wrote:
sheppy wrote:

i also want it to be useable power not just a top end figure, i.e. 400bhp between 6-7k rpm is a waste of time, i want as much power as possible all the way through the rev range.

The first thing you need to do is come up with your engine design, the fuel you will use, the power you want and at what rpm are a good start.
The 5S will be the best way to go as being a bigger volume it will give better low down power.
Do not buy anything till you know your full design.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:why is it a waste of time??

engines are designed to make peak hp near redline.

get something that spools quick, makes and holds 400hp at 6-7k rpm

at 400hp, it is not going to spool like a ct20b. you are also not going to be making 400hp at 5k rpm.
you will have a massive 150hp hit from like 4k-5.5k rpm on a 400hp level build so there will be a huge amount of torque difference coming on boost when making numbers like that.

I just want the car to behave as it does now but with (say the car is 300bhp) that extra 25% (or 33%) power across the rev range, I don't want a big turbo producing all it's boost between say 6-7k rpm. I want all the boost at once, Power was maybe the wrong term to use.
Last edited by Ryan S on Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

that's the plan Bob, obviously i'll come straight to you with any advice I need on compression ratios, are the 5s blocks easy enough to get a hold of?? what needs done to the block before I can use it?? I can source one and get the machine work done at my end.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

I have a rev 3 turbo block here, would do it for a good price and you could get it built at your own leisure.
Good figure 400 bhp , I loved it, and depending on your turbo there is no reason you couldn't run it at 400 bhp but have it mapped to 480 bhp for those special occasions, with the right Garrett turbo of course :wink:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

sheppy wrote:

I just want the car to behave as it does now but with (say the car is 300bhp) that extra 25% (or 33%) power across the rev range, I don't want a big turbo producing all it's boost between say 6-7k rpm. I want all the boost at once, Power was maybe the wrong term to use.

first off, a turbo of that size isnt going to produce all its boost at that rpm!

it will still make decent boost at lower rpm, say 500rpm-1000rpm+ past a ct20bs. depending on the size/spec.
so say full boost at 3.5-4k rpm in like 3rd/4th gear. as opposed to 3k rpm.

the car will feel laggier than your setup if you want a turbo that will comfortably make 400hp, ie you will probably need to look at turbos capable of 450+.

this lag and power will mean a sharper boost/torque curve and will feel more laggy.

it will make less torque at lower rpm until the turbo is up to full boost.
it will not drive the same.

for example, my old rev2 at 300hp, and my old rev5 at 400hp.
granted, the turbo i was using was a bit old school, but still a very decent turbo.

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

hmmmm, I see what you're saying, I understand for a higher bhp figure sacrifices have to be made in other areas, I think i'm gonna have to do a heap of research on this before I do anything.

Thanks for the offer Martin but if I was using a 3s I think i'd just use my current engine, Gonna start trying to hunt down a 5s block. No respone from slipping clutch regarding his TD06 either (this is unrelated to this build) so i may get back to you regarding the TD05 :-k

EDIT: Just a quick question, which head is used with a 5sgte build?? the mr2 or the camry?? there's a camry head on ebay just now.
Nic

Post by Nic »

I personally wouldn't get too hung on peak power figures, if I was building a fast road MR2 I'd choose a moderately sized modern DBB turbo that gives a good broad torque band. Something like a Garrett GT28RS or GTX28RS should spool quicker than the stock turbo but be good for 350+hp with all the supporting mods. For me it'd be a much nicer everyday car to drive than a big hp MR2 with a narrower useable power band higher up the rev range.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Nic wrote:I personally wouldn't get too hung on peak power figures, if I was building a fast road MR2 I'd choose a moderately sized modern DBB turbo that gives a good broad torque band. Something like a Garrett GT28RS or GTX28RS should spool quicker than the stock turbo but be good for 350+hp with all the supporting mods. For me it'd be a much nicer everyday car to drive than a big hp MR2 with a narrower useable power band higher up the rev range.

this is what i'm after to be honest, the car will be a daily driver so something fast spooling is what I want, I'm not hung up on 400bhp, I want the car to be as driveable a possible, Actually, i've already said what i want, basically the way it drivvves now but with a bit more grunt. Talking about it now i reckon i could probably get away with throwing in a set of forgies, decent fuelling and a decent ECU.

also, there's a camry on ebay for £800 too.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

sheppy wrote:that's the plan Bob, obviously i'll come straight to you with any advice I need on compression ratios, are the 5s blocks easy enough to get a hold of?? what needs done to the block before I can use it?? I can source one and get the machine work done at my end.

No they are not easy to find over here.

No work needs to be done to the block apart from fitting oil squirters
You will need custom 5s/3s pistons and I would also get the correct rods to fit the 5S crank, not turn it down to fit 3S rods
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Nic

Post by Nic »

A Garrett GT/GTX28RS would be perfect for what you want then IMO, it'll spool quicker and pull harder with a good broad useable power band.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

sheppy wrote:

EDIT: Just a quick question, which head is used with a 5sgte build?? the mr2 or the camry?? there's a camry head on ebay just now.

You only use the block and crank from the 5S
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

yep something that size would give the ct20b a kick.

personally, i would get something that size, run it on the car for 6-12months, with the right mods/tuning, a gen3 should handle that fine.

then once your bored of 350hp, get something bigger, then go down the forged route and shoot for 450+.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

jimGTS wrote:yep something that size would give the ct20b a kick.

personally, i would get something that size, run it on the car for 6-12months, with the right mods/tuning, a gen3 should handle that fine.

then once your bored of 350hp, get something bigger, then go down the forged route and shoot for 450+.

This will do the job

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... r#GTX2867R
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I have a 5S block and just de-tuned from a GT35 to a GTX3071 and I couldn't be happier.

You can't tell from the pics in the link, but full boost is around 4700RPM with it building from around 3800rpm.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... c&start=60

Still makes close to 500HP and is an animal to drive...
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...

Return to “Modifications”