What's happened here?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Shaoxter

What's happened here?

Post by Shaoxter »

Was driving along yesterday and all of a sudden the car starts idling at just over 2000rpm. It was driving normally at say 1500rpm at 30mph in 4th, but as soon as I depressed the clutch or put it into neutral the idle shot up.

Strange thing was that after about 10 mins (of pretty embarrassing city driving) the car was fine again.

So was it some glitch with the throttle position sensor? And is it safe to drive the car?
alanmr2turbo

Re: What's happened here?

Post by alanmr2turbo »

if its an import then it could be the idle up for the air con. I had pretty much same issue, ripped it out, blanked it off. Fixed
Sigster100

Post by Sigster100 »

alanmr2turbo wrote:if its an import then it could be the idle up for the air con. I had pretty much same issue, ripped it out, blanked it off. Fixed

Hi mate. Same problem with mine, Now constantly idles at between 1600 and 2000 rpm. If I did what you did on yours, is it easily reversible if it does not work? Also, how do I do what you suggest?
Thanks
shinny

Post by shinny »

alanmr2turbo wrote:if its an import then it could be the idle up for the air con. I had pretty much same issue, ripped it out, blanked it off. Fixed

A correctly functioning aircon idle-up only adds about 100rpm to the idle speed.

I'd wonder about the coolant temperature sensor. If that's developed a fault, perhaps the ECU thinks the engine is cold and has therefore raised the idle speed? The ECU sensor is different to the sensor for the dash gauge.
Shaoxter

Post by Shaoxter »

Just to follow up - it happened again but this time I stopped and looked in the engine bay. Turns out the little rubber bit at the end of the throttle cable got stuck between the cable and the throttle body! #-o
synXero

Post by synXero »

Glad it was a simple thing! Bit of DIY detective work always wise first port of call :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”