My first mr2, mk2 n/a rescue.

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sonic_mr2

My first mr2, mk2 n/a rescue.

Post by sonic_mr2 »

Hello everyone.
In this thread I will document everything that happens to my 2.

The car is a white n/a mk2 rev2 on a K. She was advertised for 900 but I managed to secure her for £700.
My aim when searching for a car to buy was to find a low priced car, restore her and have a couple years of fun then sell up for a turbo.

the good bits are minimal rust with the only proper rot being in the rear inner arches. Starts straight up, goes and stops properly. Best of all is that it's completely standard and unmolested in any way.

The bad bits are quiet bad with it being a £700 classic. First thing on the list to sort out are the electrics. After a jump lead error the pas and dash no longer work. Next thing is The engine, bits in oil so possibly a conversion or rebuild at worse. When the two previous jobs are done I will then replace the blowing back box and sort the rear arches out.

to make this car truly stand out as a real nice example there are few other things that will need to be done. Inside there is a few age related things like a worn gear knob and drivers seat. I am hoping I can find a nice leather interior for the car. on the outside the paint is worn and basically would only be proper if it had a full respray with 2pac paint.

I know that pretty much every area of the car requires attention but when she is finished I should end up with a very nice car for under 3 grand. I have seen mint n/a rev2's for sale around 4k so hopefully the maths works.

so thanks for reading, I will post some pictures and keep this thread up to date with the progress of the project.
craig

Re: My first mr2, mk2 n/a rescue.

Post by craig »

Belated welcome to IMOC mate, sounds like a nice little project you have there. Instead of getting it up to scratch then selling and buying a turbo, why not just get it sorted and convert it to a turbo engine?

Enjoy, and looking forward to pics. :thumleft:
sonic_mr2

first pictures

Post by sonic_mr2 »

ImageImage
ImageImage

:thumleft:
sonic_mr2

Post by sonic_mr2 »

RedMR² wrote:Belated welcome to IMOC mate, sounds like a nice little project you have there. Instead of getting it up to scratch then selling and buying a turbo, why not just get it sorted and convert it to a turbo engine?

I like things to be standard.
each to there own eh?
craig

Post by craig »

sonic_mr2 wrote:
RedMR² wrote:Belated welcome to IMOC mate, sounds like a nice little project you have there. Instead of getting it up to scratch then selling and buying a turbo, why not just get it sorted and convert it to a turbo engine?

each to there own eh?

Bit of a hostile reply, simply trying to save you getting a car up to scratch, selling and starting again :?
sonic_mr2

Post by sonic_mr2 »

RedMR² wrote:
sonic_mr2 wrote:

each to there own eh?

Bit of a hostile reply, simply trying to save you getting a car up to scratch, selling and starting again :?

I didnt really sense any hostillity. Like I said, each to there own and insted of making her fast I want to turn her into one of the best original n/a's in the country.
sonic_mr2

Post by sonic_mr2 »

Sorry if you got that vibe, it wasent intended.
craig

Post by craig »

No bother dude, hard to read emotion in forum text. :lol:

Best of luck with the car.
sonic_mr2

Post by sonic_mr2 »

RedMR² wrote:No bother dude, hard to read emotion in forum text. :lol:

Best of luck with the car.

Cheers mate. I am going to fit my new battery and 120a fuse tomorrow.
Thanks for looking in.
sonic_mr2

Post by sonic_mr2 »

Anyway im hoping to get a few good pointers from you more experienced owners so feel free to speak your mind.

Can anyone recommend a good parts supplier in the midlands?
I also have a big hole where the stereo head unit should be.
How good/easy to find are the original cassette cd changers?

I hope we all enjoy this restoration and I hope to bring her to donington japfest next year and thank the website personally.
:thumleft:
Reechard

Post by Reechard »

Nathan at mrtwos should be able to get parts. Or tim at xxxx.

Return to “Member Profiles”