Newbie to the club with a tale of joy and sorrow

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jakeymears

Newbie to the club with a tale of joy and sorrow

Post by jakeymears »

hello all, just recently bought my MR2 and signed up on here. So far i'm loving it, its by far one of the best handling cars I've owned.

Its a 1992 import tin top and amazingly it has no rust and apart from a few blemishes the paint is perfect so i think I've found a great start for a project.

I bought this car with the intention of doing track days and actually being able to enjoy day to day driving once again. Due to how nice it looks I couldn't resist the obligatory arty car shot unfortunately I cant upload it till I've posted more

unfortunately things have turned a little sour on the way back from work today the radiator decided to dump a fair portion of the coolant all due to a tiny o-ring on the bleed screw #-o which despite my best efforts appears to have sent the head gasket packing.

So i fully intend on fixing this because apart from the head gasket this is the cleanest MR2 I could find, and so i'm after a little advice and on the hunt for some parts.

The plan is replace head gasket and fix/replace the radiator, but to make this a more positive thing i'm going to upgrade where possible ( I never like fixing things with standard parts, upgrading things makes it feel like you've chosen to fix it opposed to the car demanding parts )

I've done a bit of research and it looks like my my best bet is a rev 3 head gasket with the head being ground not skimmed then from then on its a chance to upgrade parts as I rebuild I was considering rev 3 cams but that requires the bucket over shim conversion.

So apart from saying hello and thanks for the wealth of info on this forum I would like to know if anyone can enlighten me as to how much is involved in the cam swap ? and does anyone have the relevant parts for sale ? and does any one have any recommendations of what else to do while I'm in there?

Thanks

Jake
Nails

Re: Newbie to the club with a tale of joy and sorrow

Post by Nails »

Are you I sure the head gaskets gone? Sometimes people have problems bleeding the system.

Return to “Member Profiles”