Driving without an engine lid

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CalMac

Driving without an engine lid

Post by CalMac »

In decent weather obviously :lol:

It's illegal to drive most cars without a bonnet due to pedestrian safety, but surely a mid engine is a bit different.. Plus, it's not exactly noticeable to a passing Police car.

Just thought it might be something to consider in summer when going out for a blast, let all the heat out and keep air moving :-k I'm sure some of you have thought of/done this before, any thoughts? Something to discuss over my tea break :lol:
alanmr2turbo

Re: Driving without an engine lid

Post by alanmr2turbo »

great idea, park up go to shops and find some toe rag has nicked your HT leads :lol:
Draven

Post by Draven »

The law does state it is illegal.. But wether you get caught or not is another matter..

personally I don't see the point.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Seen plenty of beefed up beetles driving round with no engine cover :eye:

Cant say as i would do it though .
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

it may possibly not work at all in the way you are considering - the whole way the underbody of the car and the engine bay and rear window of the car is designed to bring cold air up from under the car and exit from the top - if you remove the engine bay cover you might loose the area of low pressure behind the rear windscreen the acts a bit like a vacuum as you are travelling along - Obviously there would be an advantage to your idea if you weren't moving - so after a long, enthusiastic fast blat pull over jump out and and whip off the engine bay cover :? alternatively a decent cool down run after your 'hot lap' will see temps. back to an acceptable level and your precious engine parts safe and secure ( well as much as they can be in this day and age ) under the closed lid. :thumleft: Interesting discussion point though - not sure what the Law would conclude from driving around with the cover off?
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Little b*ggers :lol: and that's why we don't have nice sexy Magnecor leads!

You're probably right SlippingClutch. I'd say that the Phoenix Power lid is probably the best bet but on a street driven car you're really not going to see a difference. It would mainly be for gloating points over my Honda mates anyway, who are always banging on about clear perspex bonnets to show off their Vtecz :lol:
slipping clutch

Theres an engine cover with perspex panels for the mr2 for sale on one of the face book forums at the moment - problem is its in the U.S #-o - its not really my thing this but it looks well made also Check out Vampires build on members profiles he has a glass panel in his engine lid! Which I would hazard to say trumps the perspex things on 'da hondas' :D
slipping clutch

Took me a moment to find it - looks pretty decent to me and I don't normally like this kind of thing. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
Draven

Post by Draven »

This is the one.. I'm unsure on it wouldn't it add weight?
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I know Claire and Dan drove over to mine without an engine cover to collect the tubby lid :roll: and it rained #-o
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
synXero

Post by synXero »

The low pressure zone is created by the wind flowing over the roof and detaching at the sharp 90deg angle between roof and back window.

Removing the lid would surely help to cool the engine! I imagine it would be illegal though, as all sorts of hot and sharp bits would be exposed for public ...fingering.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

A bit of rain wouldn't do too much harm :wink: I made the mistake of pressure washing my old NA engine last year though, ran like absolute balls for about a week :lol:

Not that keen on the glass/perspex lids but Vampire did a nice job on that!
slipping clutch

all sorts of hot and sharp bits would be exposed for public ...fingering.
Sniggering at the back of the room :D
Draven

Post by Draven »

slipping clutch wrote:all sorts of hot and sharp bits would be exposed for public ...fingering.
Sniggering at the back of the room :D

bwhahaha
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

What got you thinking about driving around without an engine lid? I found my car ran perfectly efficiently when standard with an engine lid, and now with a few mods it still goes perfectly well spirited driving on country roads or motorway miles. Also no overheating issues, it is all good with a lid. I cannot imagine for normal road use you would need or want to consider it. People might steal your shiny bits, or a bird might poo on it! :lol:
slipping clutch

D4N_V_U wrote:What got you thinking about driving around without an engine lid? I found my car ran perfectly efficiently when standard with an engine lid, and now with a few mods it still goes perfectly well spirited driving on country roads or motorway miles. Also no overheating issues, it is all good with a lid. I cannot imagine for normal road use you would need or want to consider it. People might steal your shiny bits, or a bird might poo on it! :lol:

DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Haha! Pesky critter! Always wait until you have just washed them too... :twisted:
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Honestly, just for the novelty of driving around with my engine out. Kinda like naturism I guess :lol:
Jam

Post by Jam »

Surely if it's getting so hot you need to take the bonnet off, then there must be something wrong with your cooling system?

Can't deny it would look pretty mean with the engine exposed :twisted:
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

No it's not overheating or anything, I was just fishing to see if anybody had tried it :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”