[Mk2] [NA] Loose wheel Nut

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Washer

[Mk2] [NA] Loose wheel Nut

Post by Washer »

I have a problem ....one of the wheel nuts on the rear offside wheel is very loose. It can be easily turned by hand and has movment vertically/horizontally, it’s as if the stud itself is adrift. Any advice on best way to remove the nut without damaging my rev 5 alloy wheel.
oVerboost

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Loose wheel Nut

Post by oVerboost »

Sounds like the threads on either the nut or the stud are worn, have you tried undoing it by hand? Just remove it slowly and as straight as you can to inspect what part is damaged (hopefully just the nut).
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

It's not clear what's actually the issue but I'm going to assume he's tried to remove the nut and it's just spinning on the loose stud...

You could try removing the other 4 nuts and pulling the wheel towards you in the hope that the splines on the stud will pull into the hub enough that you can then undo the nut.

If the splines have ground off or the hub has stripped so there's no purchase at all you'll have to drill it out. Use some wedges to hold the nut steady, start with a small central pilot hole and work up to a bit large enough to take out the thread.

Maybe someone who has had this happen before has a better idea?
Washer

Post by Washer »

Mullen wrote:It's not clear what's actually the issue but I'm going to assume he's tried to remove the nut and it's just spinning on the loose stud...

You could try removing the other 4 nuts and pulling the wheel towards you in the hope that the splines on the stud will pull into the hub enough that you can then undo the nut.

If the splines have ground off or the hub has stripped so there's no purchase at all you'll have to drill it out. Use some wedges to hold the nut steady, start with a small central pilot hole and work up to a bit large enough to take out the thread.

Maybe someone who has had this happen before has a better idea?

I haven’t tried anything yet. Only noticed it the other day while driving over a rough surfaced road and hearing a rattling sound. When stud pulled fully home the nut extends out of the wheel further than the other fixed studs so it appears as if the nut has been cross threaded within the first few threads of the stud. Will take the other nuts off and give it a go.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

take the wheel off and hammer then stud out, replace with new stud. It's a relatively simple job :thumleft:
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

sheppy wrote:take the wheel off and hammer then stud out, replace with new stud. It's a relatively simple job :thumleft:

And how does he do that when the nut is turning the stud instead of undoing?

Other than what Mullen has suggested, the only thing I can think of is trying to weld the backside (flanged part) of the stud to the rear of the hub face but I really don't think there's enough access with the hub in place to do it.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Slarty wrote:
sheppy wrote:take the wheel off and hammer then stud out, replace with new stud. It's a relatively simple job :thumleft:

And how does he do that when the nut is turning the stud instead of undoing?

Other than what Mullen has suggested, the only thing I can think of is trying to weld the backside (flanged part) of the stud to the rear of the hub face but I really don't think there's enough access with the hub in place to do it.

weld a nut onto the back of the stud. accessing it will obviously be difficult.
Washer

Post by Washer »

Thanks Mullen, your suggestion worked the spline on the stud was ok it was just the nut had been cross threaded and allowed the stud to work loose. Removing the other studs and prising the wheel did the trick.
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

Oh cool. That was lucky :)

Return to “Mechanical”