[Mk2] [Turbo] Is my ECU dead? Rev2 tubby

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Is my ECU dead? Rev2 tubby

Post by Draven »

2mad wrote:At the end of the day , sparky has got payed .. not bothered to do the hard work and passed the buck .. i'm so angry, i would have done this no win no fee =; .. hope we can help you op .

Haha..

Well Pete is on this thread.. so if it can be fixed.. if anyone can do it Pete can.. :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Hope so .. only way op would have got hes car back from me .. is purring like a kitten .. been doing auto electrics since 1995 , get really p1ssed with cowboy sparkys that don't do there job.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Draven wrote:
2mad wrote:At the end of the day , sparky has got payed .. not bothered to do the hard work and passed the buck .. i'm so angry, i would have done this no win no fee =; .. hope we can help you op .

Haha..

Well Pete is on this thread.. so if it can be fixed.. if anyone can do it Pete can.. :thumleft:

Thanks!

OP. First thing we need to know is the colours of the wires that are damaged.

ISTR i've had a very similar problem towed int the workshop about 2 years ago. Wires burnt out just before fuse box, and wires burnt out in fuse box that common to the relays. Will have to go through past invoices.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I've got a rev2 chassis loom for sale .. remember you need a rev1 from your ecu code you posted .

Kev.
Draven

Post by Draven »

2mad wrote:I've got a rev2 chassis loom for sale .. remember you need a rev1 from your ecu code you posted .

Kev.

There isn't much difference between rev1 & rev2 looms.. If I remember rightly.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Draven wrote:
2mad wrote:I've got a rev2 chassis loom for sale .. remember you need a rev1 from your ecu code you posted .

Kev.

There isn't much difference between rev1 & rev2 looms.. If I remember rightly.

Know theres not, It would need repining :( (i just dont know the repining) ... i really dont want him to buy a rev2 loom and wonder why it didnt work.
lee66

Post by lee66 »

Thanks for all the kind words :mrgreen: Fingers crossed I/We can do this lol :mrgreen:

Just got it back home from the garage now (in more pieces than when I taken it may I add :roll: I know its not a big deal but still feel like I have had the pi$* taken out of me) and I have just had a look at them wires.

BOTH of the burnt out wires are the same colour, which is Grey with a thin Black line.
It looks asif both of these wires run into the black relay (says circuit opening relay on it).

Having problems connecting my phone upto my computer for some reason, but I will get the photos up asap :thumleft:

Thanks again everyone, as always a great help :mrgreen:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

If you can trace back as far as they will go (the passenger foot well) .. and replace ... if they sitill burn out we will go from there .
Draven

Post by Draven »

2mad wrote:If you can trace back as far as they will go (the passenger foot well) .. and replace ... if they sitill burn out we will go from there .

Yup this :mrgreen:
lee66

Post by lee66 »

Ok I have managed to connect my phone up to upload some piccys.

Link: Another pic of the fuse box wiring

Link: Pic of the top of the fuse box

Sorry for the size of the pic and the quality lol (kind of hard to make out the colour of the wires) but hopefully they will help a little more :thumleft:
lee66

Post by lee66 »

2mad wrote:If you can trace back as far as they will go (the passenger foot well) .. and replace ... if they sitill burn out we will go from there .

:oops: Feel kinda dumb again (lol), but it kind of goes underneath the fuse box in the rear of the car and into a bigger chunk of wiring that's all coiled up. It is quite difficult to see where it all goes aswell and looks like it branches off if that makes any sense? Any tips of the best way I can do this? or is it a case of taking the wires out of everything until I get to the end? :oops:

Many thanks, Lee :thumleft:
killerferret666

Post by killerferret666 »

Looks to be a white and black wire, I.e a couple of earth.

It could be that some earth points are bad (or broken wires) so too much current has tried to earth through that set of wires.

However mine is just theory and Peter I'm sure will be along with a more knowledgeable answer. :mrgreen:
My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

killerferret666 wrote:Peter I'm sure will be along with a more knowledgeable answer. :mrgreen:

I'll post up tomorrow. It's 1am and i'm just back from the workshop having got hold of a subframe for Munir's car at 8pm, and now got it on 4 wheels and fired up. Shower and bed for me!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

killerferret666 wrote:
It could be that some earth points are bad (or broken wires) so too much current has tried to earth through that set of wires.

I think thats exactly whats happened. Mine did this when I first bought my car , one of my earth straps melted.. So i cleaned up the rest (using my dremol and sanding drum)... I had some zero gauge cable left over for an audio install .. so I made two extra earth straps .. one from the alternator braket to the firewall .. second from the gearbox to firewall .. also fitted a third from battery ground to the cars body.. Never had any problems after that.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

How are you getting on with this ? .. really got my fingers crossed for you :thumleft:
lee66

Post by lee66 »

Not had any time in the last couple of weeks to try and do anything with it, but I am onto it today and tomorrow weather permitting so fingers crossed I can get it sorted as I really don't want to have to break it for spares (cant afford to throw more money into it anymore).

Turns out there is actually 3 wires that are all the same colour that are burnt out in the rear fuse box (white with black line).
2 of them are very short and linked from one relay to the next, so I am trying to trace the 'main' one back as much as possible (pain in the ass as it is all taped up under the plastic sleeve).

Will report back with whatever I find :mrgreen:

Cheers, Lee.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Me.. i've got all the kit to recondition the loom .. you.. i'd recomend buying a rev1 chassis loom .. and sorting your engine earth straps out .

Just my thoughts :eye:
lee66

Post by lee66 »

How big of a job is it to do this mate? Never done anything like this before and really didnt want to lob more cash into it if poss, but depending price of loom I may just do this.
Also is there a chance that these burnt out earths could have blown anything else in the process like my ecu etc? Obviously things break but the car worked great until I left it to stand for a while on the drive so I am hoping it's just a case of replacing a few wires lol :roll: .

For now though I have unclipped some of the wires out of the fuse box but really struggling to get the last 2 out, there doesn't seem to be any room to stick anything down to pop the spade connectors out lol. Trying to hunt for a paperclip at the moment hoping that can do it.
My plan was/is to find a healthy bit of wire, snip it, solder new wire in, connect it all back together, add a couple of extra earths.... and hope for the best lol.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

lee66 wrote:
My plan was/is to find a healthy bit of wire, snip it, solder new wire in, connect it all back together, add a couple of extra earths.... and hope for the best lol.

Yeah that pretty much what I'd do mate .. all i was thinking by the time you have bought 30 amp+ cable and kit plus time and effort .. £50 for a rev1 chassis loom .. might be easier.

From experience with these old cars .. extra engine earth straps a must .. like i said i did mine .. no problems after that :thumleft:
lee66

Post by lee66 »

Just managed to get the last 2 out with abit of force and a flat head screwdriver :roll:
All the other spade connectors had a clip I had to push in apart from the last 2 and I just couldn't undo them!

Anyway time to go try follow where this wire goes. Hopefully its not very long because its all taped up inside the plastic protector and looks a right pain in the ass to undo it all lol. Also it looks asif the plastic wire protector branches into two, one side looks like it goes to parts of the engine, the other looks like it goes under my air filter and disappears into the side of the car.

If this doesn't work then maybe I will go for a new harness but I was made redundant a few months ago and been struggling to find a new job since, so didn't really want to spend any more on the car, especially to find if something else was broken too (if that makes sense lol).

Will deffo be adding extra earth straps to it before I try it again providing I get that far :lol:

Thanks again for all your help/support :thumleft:

Return to “Electrical”