Gareth's 1999 Sonic Shadow Revision 5

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2barGee

Re: Gareth's 1999 Sonic Shadow Revision 5

Post by 2barGee »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Competition Stage 2 is in, just need to pick it up.

AD08R's are much better than you think in the rain, about in line with your average mid range tyre. Not as good as something like a Michelin Pilot Sport 4 for example, but that's the tradeoff.

I'd have no issue using AD08R's (with good tread) all year round in the southern/mild parts of the UK.

I've got AD08r fitted to my Megane 250 but it such a different car to the MR2. I find you need to get them warm to get any real feel if that makes sense?

Currently my MR2 has Nankang NSR2 (180 compound) and they really don't cope very well at 2bar.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

They certainly perform better with heat in them, but I don't feel like that's a requirement to get safe performance in the rain so far.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

They work ok in the wet on the road, they don't cope well with standing water though. I've felt the car's steering go light over patches on the motorway and on track.

The last day I did was damp and I ended up letting out a load of pressure from the fronts to stop the front end washing out so much. Only became fun once a dry line started to appear.

I was kinda wishing I'd bought some Michelen PS4's for my other wheels
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Back to Yorkshire this week:

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Dead again :(

(fogs on so the rear fog light could be lit for extra visibility while on the hard shoulder near a junction)

Symptoms: No start. Has spark, cambelt is still present in some form as we have an RPM signal. Couldn't hear fuel pump run but it was a noisy environment at the point of recovery. Doesn't fire with starting fluid.

Don't have the time or motivation to really dig into it, as such it's gone straight to a garage this time.

Took 2.5hrs to get recovered off the A1M, and a further 2hrs or so for a truck to arrive, by which point it was gone 10pm so I asked the AA to get me a hotel and continue the recovery the next day as I'd had enough.

Day 2 truck was a fully enclosed box truck!

Finally got it down to Patrick in Bexhill. The problem - a bolt made a bid for freedom, jammed up the exhaust cam and destroyed half the belt. I assume the belt then slipped around the exhaust cam, hence the no start.

Lets hope the stray M6 bolt didn't do any more damage.
mrhappy62

Post by mrhappy62 »

Patrick will sort it :D
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

mrhappy62

Post by mrhappy62 »

Glad it is sorted :D

Return to “Member Profiles”