Mk1.5 resto

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

outrun

Re: Mk1.5 resto

Post by outrun »

I spent 3.5 hours under the car and now it looks like this.

No more horror holes found (just a few small one where the sills meet the floorpans and the N/S sill return is in much better shape, than the O/S, though.

I knew this was the 'good' side lol.

Despite wearing a mask, I wonder how much of this xxxx is on my chest?

John arrived and weaved some magic with hammers and the patches, plus the big rig.

Slowly, slowly, patchy monkey.

John shaved a touch off the frunk floor patches and let them in flush, at the back.
The fronts of them still need a little attention to be perfect, but we are pleased with how they fit.

Check it out, two complete chassis legs and a frunk floor, once more.

Same time tomorrow, avid* viewers.
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

wow amazing skill and commitment :clap:
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

Its the speed that impresses me :thumleft:
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
outrun

Post by outrun »

The speed they can rust? I agree! :-)

Cheers, lads.

We had a couple of hours on it tonight, so more of the same.

Bit of tidying up and more totally pro panel beating, with 100% correct tools, honest.
That saw the two massive frunk patches fitting grand and attached to the chassis legs, so John seam welded them and a few other areas that needed finishing up.

Guess who?

I cut a couple more holes - cos this car doesn't have enough - and made some patches. Waiting for the Etchweld to dry, before they can be let in.

I am thinking of mashed potato, again. Lalalala-la...

Temporarily protected (as with all areas, so far), until we dress the welds back.

Not a great deal to see, but it is heading in the right direction.

More, tomorrow.
outrun

Post by outrun »

I was working late on Tuesday, so we never touched the car.

Tonight, we got the remaining frunk floor patches in.
John did the large one on his own - as well as the usual welding - and it turned out great, thanks to forming a bulge in it, that follows the original panel pressing.

The other patch (as well as previous ones) follow the same trend.
Even though they aren't in an important, cosmetic area, we think it's worth doing as good a job as we can.

Shame the welder is acting up, on occasion.
We will be dressing all of the welds back, anyway.

Trimmed the lower edges of the large frunk floor patches, to tidy them up.
They will be welded up and seam sealered.

We are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, as the frunk section is 90% complete.
Hopefully the other repairs will be straight forward.

I will be working on the car tomorrow night and all weekend, so I hope for some good progress.
outrun

Post by outrun »

Well...this thing is now dead.

Up until last week, we were still plugging away at it, but it just kept getting worse.

The reason I stopped updating the thread is cos the thing was starting to look like a family quilt.
This was not the car I was wanting to plough a few grand into.

The middle sills were non-existent, same goes for the entire lower rear quarter. Plus the damn thing was full of filler.

I only discovered this at the start of the week. It had had arch and sill return repairs in the past, tack welded on over the original rotten steel and then covered with a thick layer of bodge. More wag than a weekend at Crufts.

Add in knackered inner sills and floor pans worse than they first looked, along with the rear valance, plus the conversion wasn't as good as I assumed/hoped for, that meant the thing was only fit for frag.

It's like it was inventing new problems, every day.

So I picked it clean and sent it on it's way on Wednesday.

I have pics of the horror show and the shell leaving, but it seems the bandwidth is maxed out on my Photobucket, atm.

I am going to be breaking it and buying a nice rev 3 turbo.

This car has put me off 80s stuff for a good while and I only owned it for about 5 weeks!

slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Gutting after all that hard work :( - there was a quite tidy red mk1 supercharger for sale on U.K. barnfinds yesterday if you still want to scratch the mk1 itch )
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121473926933? ... 2942711741
Its on ebay - I want to buy it but don't have the money or skills/space.
outrun

Post by outrun »

Looks nice. A bit how I pictured mine, tbh.
It sounds like potential trouble, though.

I wouldn't risk buying another, though. Mk2 is the way, for me - and any I view will be thoroughly checked for crustiness.

Cheers, mate.
Nails

Post by Nails »

I never like to see a car go to the scrapyard and I was looking forward to the end result but if ever there was one for the knackers yard then this was it.
I thought the soldering ironed on patches where had enough but the rear quarters were definitely done by a bodge artist. They'd done such a good job of hiding it but had ruined the car. Would have needed whole new quarter panels for a proper fix.
The pipework and wiring I'm suprised it never drowned the driver then set him on fire.
craig

Post by craig »

Gutted for you buddy. Lot of hard slog there, just to bin it before finishing it. Good luck with search for rev3 turbo.

Return to “Member Profiles”