[Mk2] [Turbo] what would cause this failure - whats best to do now to clean it

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

killerferret666

[Mk2] [Turbo] what would cause this failure - whats best to do now to clean it

Post by killerferret666 »

Over the weekend I've fitted a ct20b ran it for a while on the drive with a small bit of revving to get some oil round it. No problem, we are talking a good 40min or some idle and some blips. Then I've done an oil change with new filter.

So with it on the drive rev it and oil filter comes flying oil everywhere obviously
:lol:

Luckily being build stage this is on the drive and engine off within 3 seconds. I actually seem to of only lost about a litre of oil by some miracle! my lovely new oil :shock:

Anyway it appears the oil filter hasn't come off, (good to know I can fit one!) but infact the oil filter centre piece which screws into the bracket has come out with the oil cooler! Very weird I thought and test screwing it back in and it started to go but never ended, so I stuck my finger in and the threaded part of the bracket has broken. Now this has never been touched on the engine, so obviously me doing a filter change has disturbed something that had become weak.

How could this occur I can only think its been over torqued in the past and just became weak and im lucky the sod to push it over the edge. Or the threads have been stripped slightly with the over torque and it was a ticking time bomb!

Next question;

Metal shards will have obviously gone down with the oil so the oil will be changed and I have magnetic plug anyway, but what is the best way to flush this part of the system?

last question, is the oil coolers and brackets the same on Rev2's as rev3+?

Shame...this was the last mechanical job as i waited on my license plate , should of seen my face! :mrgreen:
My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] what would cause this failure - whats best to do now to clean it

Post by Peter Gidden »

Probably overtightened in it's past.

Rev2 and Rev3 oil coolers are different.
killerferret666

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] what would cause this failure - whats best to do now to clean it

Thanks as always Pete

Torero

Post by Torero »

killerferret666 wrote:Shame...this was the last mechanical job as i waited on my license plate , should of seen my face! :mrgreen:

If this is on the Miami GT4 build then I can sympathise with you.

I've just been reading your blog and I'm now drying myself :D :lol:
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
killerferret666

Torero wrote:
killerferret666 wrote:Shame...this was the last mechanical job as i waited on my license plate , should of seen my face! :mrgreen:

If this is on the Miami GT4 build then I can sympathise with you.

I've just been reading your blog and I'm now drying myself :D :lol:

Hi bud yes it is....this was my very last mechanical piece of work before i get the license plate and take out for some test runs :D Typical ...keep smiling ...keep smiling

Then off to the bodyshop for bits to be done over the winter ready for the spring

slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Is it the big central threaded tube the filter screws onto? if so I suspect that the small hose from hell has been replaced at some time and the filter housing has been removed and replaced - the mistake being the smaller lower bolts have been fully tightened before the large threaded tube has been put in - subsequently its been put in cross threaded/forced in. What a pain hope you get it sorted soon.
killerferret666

slipping clutch wrote:Is it the big central threaded tube the filter screws onto? if so I suspect that the small hose from hell has been replaced at some time and the filter housing has been removed and replaced - the mistake being the smaller lower bolts have been fully tightened before the large threaded tube has been put in - subsequently its been put in cross threaded/forced in. What a pain hope you get it sorted soon.

Quite possibly. Peter has got one hes sending to me with some new seals as well, so hopefully I can fit it this weekend as its a very quick job without a rear firewall in the way and a lot of space, the hoses are very easy as well.

killerferret666

slipping clutch wrote:Is it the big central threaded tube the filter screws onto? if so I suspect that the small hose from hell has been replaced at some time and the filter housing has been removed and replaced - the mistake being the smaller lower bolts have been fully tightened before the large threaded tube has been put in - subsequently its been put in cross threaded/forced in. What a pain hope you get it sorted soon.

Took it off tonight, does appear to if been what you said looks like it was slightly crossed threaded in part of it.

Found all the bit chunks of metal now so the puzzle is complete which is good.

Return to “Mechanical”