[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo Engine Block

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Quibble

[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo Engine Block

Post by Quibble »

I've got a running daily driver rev 3 turbo that I am thinking about forging but would like to keep it on the road up until the last minute, so was thinking about getting someone to build me a short block while I keep the car on the road. I still have the engine from my first mr2, a rev2 turbo sitting in the garage. Is the rev2 block compatible with the rev3 engine? Thanks
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo Engine Block

Post by bobhatton »

Quibble wrote:I've got a running daily driver rev 3 turbo that I am thinking about forging but would like to keep it on the road up until the last minute, so was thinking about getting someone to build me a short block while I keep the car on the road. I still have the engine from my first mr2, a rev2 turbo sitting in the garage. Is the rev2 block compatible with the rev3 engine? Thanks

Up to a point yes.

The Rev2 block needs work to fit the Rev3 sump, that is about all that needs to be done.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Quibble

Post by Quibble »

Is there any advantage to using the rev2 block, if not then I have my answer, I need another rev3 block?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Quibble wrote:Is there any advantage to using the rev2 block, if not then I have my answer, I need another rev3 block?

Rev 3 blocks can crack, rev 1&2 I understand are stronger and do not crack.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

bobhatton wrote:
Quibble wrote:Is there any advantage to using the rev2 block, if not then I have my answer, I need another rev3 block?

Rev 3 blocks can crack, rev 1&2 I understand are stronger and do not crack.

They all can crack.. I've seen examples of them all. The whole "rev 1/2 is stronger" is nonsense
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

GeorgeL wrote: The whole "rev 1/2 is stronger" is nonsense

I think the same way, but to date I have only seen 2 Rev 3 blocks crack.
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

got a rev 3 block and crank for sale if needed, no rods or pistons and needs a slight bore which is fine if replacing with 86.5

didnt even notice till it was stripped, only took it out to drop a 5s in

Return to “Modifications”