[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 standard tubby mods

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TheDockter

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 standard tubby mods

Post by TheDockter »

So im picking up my 3rd MR2 next weekend, first tubby though and was wondering what people recomend as first mods? Its completely standard engine i think...

I wont be busting my wallet on it but would like to get the most i can out of it!

Thinking induction, decat, emanage piggyback, chargecooler...

What else? Thanks
slipping clutch

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 standard tubby mods

Post by slipping clutch »

If your tuning it then first of all replace the head gasket for a MLS one - however the first thing I would do with it is drive it for a few weeks without doing anything to it - that way you will get used to the power delivery and any nasty surprises if any will show up before you spend money on upgrading it. Hope that's helpful - just read it back and it seems as though it may come across as a bit patronizing - its not meant too!
P.S. should have said check to see if the basics have been done before you start tuning - i.e. cam belt, water pump etc. all need to be in good order before you start upping the power.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

As mentioned, get used to the way it drives first in all conditions.
There have been plenty of people who've gone from Na to turbo and written the car off within weeks!

I would get service items only for the time being.
TheDockter

Post by TheDockter »

Yeh thats a good point actually... Is it a huge power difference?

Yeh i will be doing a full service on the engine as soon as i get it... I have been looking into the best service parts and there seems to be a big debate on spark plugs? What would you recommend?

Cheers
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Big enough to send you flying into a ditch. There is a lot more torque and will come in differently to a Na.

Stamping on the throttle mid corner in a Na won't cause you much bother, but will do in a turbo. (To a certain degree)
You'll need to adjust your driving style.
So before upping power get used to its characteristics.

Oil filter, geniune toyota.
Oil. A good fully synthetic
Spark plugs, a lot go for copper bkr7e
Check coolant condition.
Tyres, make sure some decent quality rubber is on there. With wet season approaching you need good tyres.
TheDockter

Post by TheDockter »

Ill flush the coolant and replace it all, its gunna be on the drive for a few weeks so might aswell do the best job i can...

Yeh ive got some original rev3 alloys with new tyres to put on...

Fully synthetic 10w40?

Cheers
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Yeh that's fine for oil.
Titan pro s is a top oil.

Coolant, needs to be the correct stuff
ethylene-glycol based. Toyota forlife or find stuff with this solution in.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Frequency of changes > fully synth oil IMHO. Fully synth wasn't even around when these engines were designed!

100% agree with putting servicing first - I bought a v v good condition standard tubby, but still clocking up £700+ in servicing and refreshing older parts..... Which I think is money much better spent personally.
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

TheDockter wrote:Yeh thats a good point actually... Is it a huge power difference?

Like night and day. I dont think i stopped grinning the whole way back when I picked up my turbo, and it was a 5 hour drive :lol:

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
Marmalade

Post by Marmalade »

To echo other posts, just get the car home, give it a proper service and enjoy it.

If you then decide you want more power, you need to think about cooling, the more HP you want the more seriously cooling becomes.

Return to “Modifications”