now I'm stuck in two minds keep the na or go turbo?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

adam1991

now I'm stuck in two minds keep the na or go turbo?

Post by adam1991 »

Hi everyone now I'm sure you've all heard this a million times, I've got a rev 2 n/a import and I love it it's great in the corners but I feel it lacks the punch in the back when you put your foot down, now I've been looking in to Turbos and the rev 3 onwards seems like a good shout,

Now what do I do sell the n/a and go turbo or keep the n/a and modify it?
My n/a is in lovely condition and the paintwork is great for the age bar a couple of dings in the drivers door, seems a shame to let her go but then again I no I would like more power my n/a is low mileage and I've serviced it and looked after it very well I just want something a bit more for smiles

So will there be a big difference in owning a turbo to a n/a?

I wouldn't use a turbo as a daily as I do with my n/a as I'm su're running costs is a lot more!

I love mr2s and I'm so glad that I've had the pleasure of owning 2 n/a now bit Im just thinking of going all out and getting a turbo

Please let me no your opinions as I'm very indecisive

Thanks in advance
Adam
Draven

Re: now I'm stuck in two minds keep the na or go turbo?

Post by Draven »

Turbo...

That is all. :mrgreen:

No comparison.
Draven

Post by Draven »

The turbo has a nice punch and is a very fast car. It all depends on budget at lot of people recommend if you've got a really good base as an N/A do an rev3 transplant. Personally I always wanted a Rev3 + Turbo. They are awesome cars.. :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Draven wrote:Turbo...

That is all. :mrgreen:

No comparison.

^This. :twisted:
adam1991

Post by adam1991 »

How much should I be looking to spend for a turbo? For a clean example?

I'm not even sure how Much my n/a is worth?

I havnt been in a turbo before what is the experience like?

Like I've said I'm a mr2 enthusiast I love them so it would be really good to own a clean top spec example :D
Draven

Post by Draven »

3.5K plus for a decent one

Well i'm not sure on the N/A without pictures and a good look at condition.

Awesome.. Thats why i bought one. They get a lot of fun at around 3k rpm..

If you're patient you can find a gem but make sure you're prepared to pay for a clean one.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Turbo!!! Everybody says "oh but the na is better on a track etc etc. bottom line is the na is complete lemon next to the turbo!!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Lemon may be the wrong word. They are good reliable cars. In terms of performance they turbo is in a different league altogether!
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

Having owned both......and ended up back in a n/a.....turbo is massively faster, however doesn't have the driveability of the n/a if you like standing on throttle mid corner. though my turbo was turned up a bit, not sure if a standard one is better.
adam1991

Post by adam1991 »

Sounds awesome! We'll I havnt really got a budget but I was hoping to spend between 3-3.5k hopefully it'll get me a good one,

How do you mean the n/a is a lot more drivable?

My n/a Is fantastic in the corners but on the straight its not really that quick but still it looks the part though can't beat the looks of a mr2

I heard that the running costs arbt alot of difference to the n/a is that true?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I think "a lot more driveable" applies to the track, i've owned 2 na a d 2 tubbys. For road use the tubby is miles better. The whole driving experience is better, the turbo noise right at your ear is like nothing else!!
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I'm inclined to agree with acf8181 in that the NA is probably more fun on windy country roads, simply because you're not going too fast and it is controllable on the limit. I only bought my Rev 3 turbo on Friday and am already in love with it, but it is ballistic - scares me a hell of a lot more than my Scooby ever did :lol: As also said above this could be because it's had quite a bit of work and the coilovers need softening though :-k

Maybe a BEAMS would be a nice change?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

There is something a bit terrifying about an mr2, i think it's the tiny cabin, the sensation of speed is insane! Feels like driving a go kart!!
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Exactly! Although the most noticeable thing coming from the Scooby was how sharp the turn in is - the car is already pointing where you want to go before you've even thought about turning the wheel :twisted:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Mr.Two wrote:Exactly! Although the most noticeable thing coming from the Scooby was how sharp the turn in is - the car is already pointing where you want to go before you've even thought about turning the wheel :twisted:

Yeah totally, this is even worse (or better if you like) with a smaller steering wheel, i was gobsmacked at the difference!!
adam1991

Post by adam1991 »

Thanks for all the imput and advice , think im going to go turbo but im going to be patiant and wait for the right one to turn up!

Ive always thought about the beams but there so rare and I never see them up for sale
Im sure there were only 1000 beams made? Would be interesting to drive one though to see what there like

are the turbos reliable as in engine wise ? I no the 3sge engines are solid but the 3sgte engines are a bit more fragile am I right or stand to be corrected ?

Hopefully ill get a nice well looked after low milage one might be waiging a while

I love the silver and black rev5 turbos absouloutly gorgeus motor

thanks again
adam

p.s I really need to become a premium member
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

+1 for a turbo!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Perfectly reliable if maintained, i ran my rev2 at 1 bar of boost for 5 years, the owner after me ran it for 2 until he sold it, as far as i know the engine was still solid.
danjama

Post by danjama »

Hi, this is relevant to me because I did sell my NA and buy a turbo in just April.

My NA was mint and I had it exactly how i wanted it but like you i had lingering thoughts about the turbo.

I do still miss my NA but only until I am out driving again.

It's a completely different animal. Saying that, i completely agree with what others have said. THE NA is less scary and more controllable on a back road blast but was always lacking in most other areas. The turbo is terrifying on back road blasts because it just pulls and pulls and you really have to know when to back off. But the noises and whole experience is very dramatic in the turbo and can be modified to suit you. You can overtake without fuss etc.

My only regret is not getting a t-bar turbo like my NA. But i will probably only regret it for a few more weeks :wink:

Also, running costs are not much different. In fact i get better mpg from my turbo even when i'm pushing on. I used to get 260 from my NA and i get about 300 to a tank on my turbo. If you buy on condition you should get no more problems than with an NA. Only problem i've had so far is a sticky caliper which i also had on my NA and is easy to sort. Just don't buy the first one you look at like i did :lol:
Marmalade

Post by Marmalade »

Get out and test drive a turbo and then decide if that is what you want to look at getting one.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”