Any tips on driving a paddle clutch?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CalMac

Any tips on driving a paddle clutch?

Post by CalMac »

Bought a Rev 3 turbo with paddle clutch last night (not sure what brand).

Changing up gears is ok, downshifting is a b*stard though :lol:

The only way that seems to work is by letting the clutch up reaaaaaaally slowly, which kind of kills the whole rev-matching while downshifting. If I don't do this it makes a nasty noise and jerks, the back wheels briefly lock up (TRD LSD).

So, any advice? Or am I best to just get an organic clutch for road use?
ashley

Re: Any tips on driving a paddle clutch?

Post by ashley »

Last edited by ashley on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Rev match the downshifts properly, the last thing you want is the rear wheels locking or spinning up as the clutch drags the revs up harshly in the wet. TRD diff will excaserbate this.

Learning the bite point is key, because it's not really a bite, its just an on off switch :lol: :lol:

Much less forgiving than a sprung organic centre.

I hate paddle clutches with a passion, I had one on my Charade turbo for a while and it drove me mental. For a road car they are total overkill. Ditch it IMO as fast as you can and get an organic centre.

If you have a billion horsepower track car, sure, go for a paddle, but on a lightly modded road car? No.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Mr.Two wrote:Bought a Rev 3 turbo with paddle clutch last night (not sure what brand).

Changing up gears is ok, downshifting is a b*stard though :lol:

The only way that seems to work is by letting the clutch up reaaaaaaally slowly, which kind of kills the whole rev-matching while downshifting. If I don't do this it makes a nasty noise and jerks, the back wheels briefly lock up (TRD LSD).

So, any advice? Or am I best to just get an organic clutch for road use?

Did you buy the black 1995 off ebay? Had that in my watch list and saw it get taken off :lol:

How much did it go for in the end? :mrgreen:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Marf wrote:Rev match the downshifts properly, the last thing you want is the rear wheels locking or spinning up as the clutch drags the revs up harshly in the wet. TRD diff will excaserbate this.

Learning the bite point is key, because it's not really a bite, its just an on off switch :lol: :lol:

I hate paddle clutches with a passion, I had one on my Charade turbo for a while and it drove me mental. For a road car they are total overkill. Ditch it IMO as fast as you can and get an organic centre.

If you have a billion horsepower track car, sure, go for a paddle, but on a lightly modded road car? No.

Hi Marf, Your comments (and Mr.Two's) have totally put me off getting a paddle clutch, do you have any recommendations for an organic set up ?

Ps.. for 280/320 bhp depending on boost level :thumleft:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

2mad wrote:
Marf wrote:Rev match the downshifts properly, the last thing you want is the rear wheels locking or spinning up as the clutch drags the revs up harshly in the wet. TRD diff will excaserbate this.

Hi Marf, Your comments (and Mr.Two's) have totally put me off getting a paddle clutch, do you have any recommendations for an organic set up ?

A standard clutch will be fine for that power. :thumleft:
No 2 :(
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

You girls, I've run a 6 puk clutch for 6 years :lol: once you get used to it it's fine. I think it's your LSD that's causing the problem.

Once the pedal was adjusted correctly I got used to it. Makes your clutch control imo better in general
2mad

Post by 2mad »

MR2 Rich wrote:
2mad wrote:

A standard clutch will be fine for that power. :thumleft:

Cheers Rich, looking at this helix fensport setup...

Uprated Organic Clutch Plate
http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_19/Category_3/743

Just need to chose a clutch cover assembly ..

Modified Clutch Cover Assembly 273 lb/ft.
http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_19/Category_3/728

Uprated Clutch Cover Assembly 360 lb/ft.
http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_19/Category_3/730

Should I just go with the 273 lb/ft. clutch cover ?
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

Had a 6 puck for many years and never had a problem with upshiifting or down shifting. it feels like any other clutch in that respect

the only thing ive had to get used to is actually setting off from standstill as they are on/off and dont like to slip, they like to launch :D

i think your issue is the LSD
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Sounds like you possibly have a 1.5 or two way lsd fitted.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Sort of getting the hang of it now, just have to put a lot of thought into gear changes :lol:

Instead of giving the throttle a blip while starting to lift the clutch as I normally would when downshifting, I'm having to rev with clutch down and then engage it. Think the LSD may be making this more of a challenge too! I'm going to man up and try to get the hang of it for a few weeks - if I still can't get on with the clutch it'll be changed.

Did you buy the black 1995 off ebay? Had that in my watch list and saw it get taken off

How much did it go for in the end?

That's the one! £3425 - I'd driven 5 hours to get it and ended up getting home at 2am having driven through pouring rain all the way back :lol:

Very happy with it though - it flipping shifts!!
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

I've always wanted to try driving on a good paddle clutch. I hear they are very much an on/off affair but not sure if that varies depending on how many 'pucks' it has. My bro has a 6 puck in his which doesn't feel snatchy to me at all. Maybe a 3 or 4 is worse?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”