[Mk2] [Generic] Mounting a Harness

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Donato

[Mk2] [Generic] Mounting a Harness

Post by Donato »

I've got a 4 point harness that I need to mount on my car. I've managed to mount the shoulder straps to eyelets on the firewall. But can any one give some advise as to where to mount the lap belt eyelets? I'm not too sure if the thickness of the floor is too thin?

:thumleft:
slipping clutch

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Mounting a Harness

Post by slipping clutch »

I went to the O.E.M. fixing points - how ever this is only going to be helpful to you if you are not retaining the stock seat belt as well I suppose.
Actually scrub that last bit I just remembered I did a reshuffle in the car and I bought some seat belt 'eye' type bolts from driftworks which were the same thread as stock so my stock seat belt is bolted in with these and my harness just clips into the 'eye' of the bolts - again only useful if you have a clip in type harness - my harness is an F.I.A. approved one - again from driftworks. I hope this helps you a bit. :thumleft:
Donato

Post by Donato »

Brilliant, I might give that a whirl tomorrow. I'm using a Schroth 4point FIA approved harness, so the ends just clip into the eyelets. Like I said in the first post, I've managed to do the shoulder straps fine, just wasn't sure were to mount the lap straps.

:thumleft:
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

I recently swapped my harness over from my n/a to the turbo I bought earlier this year.

On the n/a I'd used the bolt sticking out from the tunnel for the inner lap belt mounting point, but was never convinced that it was up to the job. So this time around I've fitted an eye bolt through the floor for the inner lap belt mounting point. The flat section to the rear of the back seat bolt close to the tunnel seemed to be rather more substantial than the rest of the floor. You just need to be careful where you drill. Just a thought.

Paul
Donato

Post by Donato »

Mounted the harness without any major problems really. I've used the the standard seat belt hole for the O/S lap belt and screwed an eyelet in there. For the N/S i've drilled a hole in the floor, where it appears to be double skinned and installed an eyelet with FIA plate underneath. Nice and sturdy and well positioned.
I was a bit skeptical about using the seat belt bolt currently coming out of the centre tunnel as it's not really used as an anchor point for the standard seat, but more for a support.

largie009

Post by largie009 »

Rogue motorsport fitted mine early this year and they just drilled through the floor, spreader plate and eye bolt.....done! Fia spec as well!!��
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I've always read that the harness should be mounted level or above, usualy requiring a harness bar. Are you putting a cage in your car?

Also i'm not sure if i'd want to use a 4-point harness, as you have the potential to submarine without the crotch support.

Just wondering because I was wondering if it was worth going with a fixed back seat and harness for better support on trackdays. But was a bit put off after doing some research, as it seems like i'd have to run with a proper cage.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

The advice on the max angle of shoulder straps does seem to vary. I saw one guide talking about + or -10 deg from horizontal.

But the Schroth installation manual recommends horizontal or a maximum of 20 deg below that, so as that's what I fitted I tried to get as close to that as I could.

But it can be a bit of a challenge with the fixing point nearest the side of the car if the seat is on rails as there's limited "headroom" for fitting the strengthening plate on the back of the firewall at that height. I would imagine if the seat is bolted directly to the floor this isn't an issue.

Schroth also offer four point belts with an anti submarine feature, that plus the fact that the push button version is street legal is one of the reason I chose that make. You can also add a crotch strap later if you want.
largie009

Post by largie009 »

Fia blue book states no more than 15 degrees (i think) basically it needs to be as straight as possible, otherwise it can break your back...........seriously.
there are 2 perfectly placed dimples in the firewall behind the seats that are the perfect height, witdth and everything for harnesses! Get drilling!
also, as long as you have a 3point seatbelt or more and the buckle works, it doesn't have to be a push button. Look on direct gov. All mot info is on there, i have twist buckle harness and is fine in mot's! :mrgreen:
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

largie009 wrote:Fia blue book states no more than 15 degrees (i think) basically it needs to be as straight as possible, otherwise it can break your back...........seriously.

10 degs either way from horizontal up to a maximum of 45degs down.

Basically you want to get the shoulder straps as horizontal as possible. I've recently fitted mine by drilling through two of the weld spots which I suspect is the same as the dimples you mention.

With the lap straps I have the outer eyebolt in the seatbelt mounting point and for the inner, I have removed the original captive bolt from the transmission tunnel for the buckle guide, and passed an eyebolt through it into a FIA acceptable mounting plate.

Still need to do the crotch straps, but these will be easy enough going through the floor pan into similar FIA acceptable plates.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

So do you guys who run a harness + fixed bucket seat recon its safe in a car without a cage?

I mean I like my recaro sr's, but i'd love to be held in a bit better than just the standard belts.
Donato

Post by Donato »

Race Idiot wrote:So do you guys who run a harness + fixed bucket seat recon its safe in a car without a cage?

I mean I like my recaro sr's, but i'd love to be held in a bit better than just the standard belts.

Will be perfectly fine if held in properly with FIA spec mounts, harness & seat :thumleft:
largie009

Post by largie009 »

As said, perfectly safe. Mr2 championship cars use these spaces for mounting so must be safe!:P. I have a fixed bucket and harnesses to the firewall and i ain't moving anywhere!! :mrgreen:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Its more the thing if you roll the car and the roof colapses, std seatbelt and seat arrangement allows movement.

Wheras a fixed seat and harness means your head is going to meet the roof fairly quickly. The championship cars have a lovely fia spec cage, or at least the ones ive seen.

Although tbh it seems like it would take a fairly hefty accident to cave the roof in on a tintop 2. But its not inconceivable, say having a big off on a trackday.

Would be nice hearing someone like rogue on this as it seems like theres lots of conflicting information on this if you search the web.

Return to “Modifications”