Front Bumper Side Trim

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nic

Front Bumper Side Trim

Post by Nic »

I'm guessing this is a common problem, a few of the threaded studs on the front bumper side trim have snapped off. Any suggestions on how best to refit them? Has anyone tried drilling the broken stud out then bonding a replacement stud into the moulding?

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
fingers99

Re: Front Bumper Side Trim

Post by fingers99 »

I wrecked one yesterday getting a wing off.

The stud has a relatively thin guage U section at the end which is bonded to the trim. It may be possible to bond one on with something like Sikaflex.

But are there no new ones out there?
Nic

Post by Nic »

There's a rectangular 10mm deep section of moulded rubber behind the metal U bracket which I'm thinking could be drilled into as well, just not sure if something like Araldite (or similar) would make a strong enough bond to hold the stud. Think I'll probably give it a go, if it doesn't work out I'll source some new ones.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

I'd think Araldite would just be too hard. I'd go for a polyurethane (which will be more similar to the original material).
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I don't think there are new ones anymore. If you're lucky there will be old stock.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”