[Wheels]What wheel nuts should I have with these wheels?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

[Wheels]What wheel nuts should I have with these wheels?

Post by SonicSW20 »

I've been using the stock flat seated nuts with these wheesls (Advan SA3 splits). As I understand it, it's really unusual for an aftermarket wheel to have flat seated holes.

Are these wheels designed for flat seated nuts, or should I be using a tapered nut?
2mad

Re: [Wheels]What wheel nuts should I have with these wheels?

Post by 2mad »

I used tuner nuts like this with my super advan wheels .. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-X-M12-X-1- ... 2a42302551

And my bk racing and blitz, never seen after market that use flat rather than tapered .

Kev.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Thats what I thought. When i fitted these I needed shorter nuts than stock, so I went down to a car parts / aftermarket place in Leicester, they looked at the wheels and said that the flat seated ones are fine for these wheels?

I need some new ones anyway as the ones I had were cheap and the chrome plating has started to come off, and the nut is corroding underneath. So i want to make sure Im definitely getting the right thing. A while ago I had a vibration issue which disappeared after I had removed / reinstalled the front wheels several times after each time I was checking for something amiss, which makes me think that perhaps the wheel nuts aren't correct.

So is that definitely a tapered fitment in the picture? I suppose I'll need to measure the taper angle?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I used tapered tuner nuts and your picture looks like there slightly tapered, plus spigot rings and have had no problems in 10 years.

Hope you sort it buddy I can only go by my past experiences.

Kev.

Gazza_DJ wrote:

So is that definitely a tapered fitment in the picture? I suppose I'll need to measure the taper angle?

The ebay tuner nuts will be fine, i've used them for years no problems. Obviously there cheaper if you only need 16 + locking nuts .
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

After losing two locking nut keys and having the xxxxx removed twice, I'm never bothering with locking nuts again! TBH if someone was going to steal wheels, they probably have locking nut removal tools anyway.

Spigot rings are not needed luckily as the CB of these is exactly right! :)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I would give the tapered ebay tuner nuts a try, there not to expensive and will hopefully sort your problem out gazza.

Best of luck mate :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I've just ordered some from DriftWorks as they looked like they might be finished to a higher standard and they weren't that much more. May as well give it a go!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Sounds perfect :thumleft: , like i said I had tapered nuts fitted to my advans and worked great :D
JD

Post by JD »

another vote for tapered - looking at the lip in the photo :thumleft:

Although it looks quite shallow so flat OE type would, in this case, probably also be fine.
JD

Post by JD »

Gazza_DJ wrote:I've just ordered some from DriftWorks as they looked like they might be finished to a higher standard and they weren't that much more. May as well give it a go!

i got the black nuts from DW and they fouled up pretty bad - don't look pretty after a while. I got some bare stainless ones from Demon Twerps and they look a treat, although because they are open ended, I see a bit of orange collect inside from the studs after it's rained which doesn't look very smart.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

JD wrote:another vote for tapered - looking at the lip in the photo :thumleft:

Although it looks quite shallow so flat OE type would, in this case, probably also be fine.

Ahh, fair. Well I've ordered them now so we'll see how it goes.

Are the DW ones that bad? I've ordered the spline drive ones in black:

http://www.driftworks.com/spline-drive- ... lable.html

If they look battered I'll just send them back, the advert is pretty clear about the durability of the things.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Can't fault the service though!

Donato

Post by Donato »

I've recently bought the black steel ones from Driftworks. No one can really fault them, from what I can find.

http://www.driftworks.com/internal-driv ... ilver.html

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”