'Champ White' Turbo Build

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Re: 'Champ White' Turbo Build

Post by ashley »

RedMR² wrote:Looking forward to seeing this on the Le Mans trip. Paintwork looks stunning.

synXero wrote:It only looks good in touched up photos. In real life it looks crappy. IMO.

Bit harsh...I thought the respray looked pretty good :-k

The car's looking great mate, I'd appreciate a chat about the respray costs and quality sometime :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

ashley wrote:
RedMR² wrote:Looking forward to seeing this on the Le Mans trip. Paintwork looks stunning.

synXero wrote:It only looks good in touched up photos. In real life it looks crappy. IMO.

I read it as meaning the colour in general?

I doubt he's seen it in person since it's at a bodyshop in sheffield (Deepcar autobodies if I'm not mistaken? I'm aware of "painter dave" through the mx5 scene and his work is top notch)

I like CW, it's very creamy against superwhite though.. I love the rega's too..
Last edited by C35Rob on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

He means painting the middle of the bumper/splitter looks crappy, which it does, hence the Op deciding against it :thumleft:

Looks like a quality respray :shock: :shock:
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:

That's what you get when you spend more than £800 on one. :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

RedMR² wrote:
sheppy wrote:

That's what you get when you spend more than £800 on one. :lol:

nothing wrong with my £800 respray mate.
craig

Post by craig »

Never said there was.....
synXero

Post by synXero »

ashley wrote:

The car's looking great mate, I'd appreciate a chat about the respray costs and quality sometime :thumleft:

Read back a few posts ash - I've been waxing lyrical about how awesome a choice CW is for an MR2 and even been looking out examples for him! My comment was specifically about painting the centre section of the lip.
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

This will look stunning when put back together!!
ashley

Post by ashley »

Gotcha- read out of context, 'pologies :eye:

When/ if I get my car resprayed I'll be going to Dave as well...super impressed- proper job!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Rob85 wrote:(Deepcar Autobodies if I'm not mistaken? I'm aware of "painter dave" through the mx5 scene and his work is top notch)

Yep, same guy. 2 units away from me on my industrial estate.

His work is faultless.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

ashley wrote:The car's looking great mate, I'd appreciate a chat about the respray costs and quality sometime :thumleft:

Yes of course, give me a message and we can discuss outside of the thread. :thumleft:

Rob85 wrote:I doubt he's seen it in person since it's at a bodyshop in sheffield

Thats right, I havnt seen it in person, but ive spent enough time gulping coffee down at Petes and spending time at Deepcar Autobodies chatting to Dave about the project and using that as an opportunity to see some of their previous -and- ongoing work, (which he was more than happy to show me) and it really solidified my trust in them. This bodyshop is a fair drive from mine so it isnt like I can pop down whenever I wanted to to check progress, so choosing a body shop I can trust was the most important factor.

Just did a quick google search and came to this : http://www.roadster-nc.com/2013/08/andr ... ey-nc.html he says it was take to Dave at Deepcar for a makeover, and if you check out the pics on this page, his work is, at Pete said, faultless.

Rob is right, this bodyshop in general is held in very high regard throughout the MX5 scene and if you check his Facebook account he has had stands up at some pretty high profile shows.

The guys at Deepcar are extremely talented, a prime, completed example are the Regas.

(yea Rob85, I know, I know) :lol:

Those I have seen in real life and the difference really is staggering, very impressed.
Deepcar Autobodies

Post by Deepcar Autobodies »

Hi guys,

Finally got around to registering on here! Im Dave, of Deepcar Autobodies. Great to see the comments about us and my work...Thankyou, much appreciated, its always great to hear when people appreciate what we do.

No doubt this thread will be updated VERY soon, we love it when customers plan and pay as much attention to detail that has gone into this one from Dave, true enthusiasts are always our favourite customers!

If anyone needs any help or advice feel free to ask away or pop into the unit.

Dave
craig

Post by craig »

Deepcar Autobodies wrote:Hi guys,

Finally got around to registering on here! Im Dave, of Deepcar Autobodies. Great to see the comments about us and my work...Thankyou, much appreciated, its always great to hear when people appreciate what we do.

No doubt this thread will be updated VERY soon, we love it when customers plan and pay as much attention to detail that has gone into this one from Dave, true enthusiasts are always our favourite customers!

Dave

Welcome Dave,

I'm the owner of the black T bar at Pete's. Looking forward to seeing the results of you painting my TRD spoiler and rev3 center panel. You've certainly done a pukka job on Dave's car! 8)

Craig
Deepcar Autobodies

Post by Deepcar Autobodies »

RedMR² wrote:
Deepcar Autobodies wrote:Hi guys,

Dave

Welcome Dave,

I'm the owner of the black T bar at Pete's. Looking forward to seeing the results of you painting my TRD spoiler and rev3 center panel. You've certainly done a pukka job on Dave's car! 8)

Craig

Cheers Craig, I've seen your spoiler at Pete's so after i have finished Dave's car i will grab it off pete and get cracking on it mate :)

Dave
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Right, well I guess I best get this thread updated, so much has happened since the last pics of her disassembled, looking a little sorry for herself and bits all over the place.

The car has been fully painted, and has made her way back into Petes workshop.

I absolutely love the older revision black headlining, sun visors and rear view mirror and after seeing a car with this fitted I had to have it. Totally changes the dynamic of the interior, not only is it slightly darker but in my opinion really modernises it, makes me wonder why Toyota changed it on the later editions?

One of the first jobs done in the workshop was to ensure the chassis, engine and brakes were all functioning correctly, once that was sorted the car could be lowered onto her wheels and then its just a case of bolting exterior bits on.

From this:

To this:

Finally:

So firstly the Goodrich brake lines were fitted, and then the calipers, and the system all bled. Then my new Eibach -40mm sportline springs were fitted. The engine was a touch poorly but she has been stood for a while, so the usual plugs, dizzy and rotor arm, coupled with a full service had her running right.

Longer wheel studs fitted to clear the additional width of the Regamasters:

Starting at the back and working forward, the Toms rear went on, fits perfectly as you'd expect from a genuine part and the quad read lights were wired up:

This:

To this:

Then onto the sides, one finished guttering:

Oil Temperature, pressure and boost gauges re-wired up, correctly this time:

Now one tricky bit, as the front bumper had pre drilled holes in for the Toyota badge, and I didn't want to fill them in, we decided to paint the Toyota badge in the same dark bronze as my wheels. The same will happen with the MR2 badge for the rear.

And thats it, up to date, still quite a bit to do, but the build has taken a huge leap forward.

Roll on summer and those Mountains!
ashley

Post by ashley »

I had a quick peak under the covers last w/e...he's done a cracking job on your paint work mate :thumleft:
synXero

Post by synXero »

Looking forward to seeing you in this at Portsmouth in June. Really like the way you're shaping it.
craig

Post by craig »

Stunning mate, stunning! Having seen the paint in the flesh, and your new front bumper, this really is going to be a show piece when finished.

Roll on Le Mans!!!!! \:D/
ashley

Post by ashley »

Out of curiosity- why didn't you want to fill the holes for the badge in the front bumper?
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Truth be told, I forgot about them. #-o

Then it was painted, and I thought "balls, best fill that with something" :oops:

Return to “Member Profiles”