'Champ White' Turbo Build

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

l1ca

Re: 'Champ White' Turbo Build

Post by l1ca »

Now the big update, she has moved from Petes yard into the painters! The hardest part was choosing the colour I wanted.

With the Regamasters being such a dark, dull bronze, a really bright white, like Audi Ibis, or Ford Frozen just wouldn't work, would cause too much of a contrast between in my eyes. So I needed a white that wasnt so bright you could see it from space.

I eventually chose Honda Championship white, for anyone who hasnt seen it/ understand what Im talking about its like an off white, kind of like an egg shell white and I think it'll work really well with the bronze wheels.

It really has that JDM zing to it, but you're not here to look at civic shopping trollies...

Stripping and prep work:

Last edited by l1ca on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Strip and prepwork has been completed, and she has been moved into primer:

I cant wait to see it painted, ive seen some of the painters previous work, and talk about attention to detail!
synXero

Post by synXero »

That's going to be seriously interesting when it's done. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the trip. I love CW on the DC2/5 which is about as similar a shape to the MR2 as Honda did that I've seen in real life (never seen a CW NSX).

Think this is going to be really nice and look very 'JDM' :thumleft:

Are you detailing any contrasting parts i.e. black anything? Or similar?

PS should've gone for rev5 spoiler :-(
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

That's going to be seriously interesting when it's done. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the trip.

Thanks :thumleft:, im looking forward to seeing whatever you end up buying, I believe your heart's set on the Exige? :clap:

Are you detailing any contrasting parts i.e. black anything? Or similar?

Well, I was contemplating doing the wing mirrors black, thought about it on holiday and decided it'd cause too much of a 'black blob area' and decided to have these painted CW too.

I think ill leave a lot of the contrast to the external trim around the windows, the only body section i will be getting painted black is the central dipped section of the splitter and following that line, the inside of the centre of the front bumper.

PS should've gone for rev5 spoiler

Really thought about it, especially with Craigs being up for sale, but I really love that low profile look of the Rev 3.

Although, next year its a possibility to get one and swap between as they use the same mounting holes I believe.
craig

Post by craig »

synXero wrote:

PS should've gone for rev5 spoiler :-(

This^ :wink:

My spoiler is in the same place as your car, simply paint is CW and fit it to your car. Drop straight on. Go on, you know you want to! :mrgreen:
synXero

Post by synXero »

You could even keep the blade and end caps superblack and therefore spend practically nothing ;)

Edit
Saw a CW CTR FN2 today and thought of you! Genuinely think CW is going to be an ace choice on an MR2.
craig

Post by craig »

synXero wrote:You could even keep the blade and end caps superblack and therefore spend practically nothing ;)

Now that would look cool.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Keeping an eye on this with interest as I also have 17 x 8 & 9 Rega's with the same offsets waiting to go on.

BTW, you have put Evo stickers on these - but are you aware they are not Evo's? Evo's don't have the raised centre cap section.
Your wheels are in fact Desmond Regamaster Marquis Promada's!

Out of interest, I am having fouling problems on my fronts against my Tein Superstreets. I have added a 3mm spacer for clearance but I don't like the way the false ET32 (ET35 without spacers) pushes them just beyond flush.

Are you having issues too or are you using normal struts?

Rob
synXero

Post by synXero »

Found some MR2s in non-Super-White:
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=414099

Also this which is supposedly CW on an SW20 (the pictures further down the page work):
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=376948
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

BTW, you have put Evo stickers on these - but are you aware they are not Evo's? Evo's don't have the raised centre cap section.
Your wheels are in fact Desmond Regamaster Marquis Promada's!

Are you sure? Doing a quick google image search, shows some raised with stickers, some raised without and all manner of variations inbetween:

Although, its really not a big deal, only issue being the stickers have been lacquered on, but a quick partial refub'd sort it, but id have to be super anal to care about that at this stage. :roll:

Are you having issues too or are you using normal struts?

I havnt driven the car with these wheels on yet tbh, so I couldn't say, but I am on standard struts, I did have to roll the arches however to accommodate the 255's im putting on the back. Ive seen some MR2's with a very aggressive fitment, so even if thee are issues, they will be easily resolve-able.

Found some MR2s in non-Super-White:

My god, CW on a 2 looks stunning - good find!
:thumleft:
synXero

Post by synXero »

It's such an authentic JDM colour. It really looks like the MR2 should be that colour under the Tokyo streetlights :thumleft:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Yeah Evo's definitely have no raised centre. Not tthat it's a big deal unless you are super anal about it all!

I've scoured the Internet for info on these wheels, its been 3 years and 2 kids since I bought them and I've nearly saved enough for a refurb and tyres so spent the rest of my time getting info on them!
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

What a start to 2015, I wont rattle on at all, ill let the pictures do the talking, but needless to say Championship white looks absolutely stunning.

A few more coats, flattening and buffing and should be good for reassembly.

Had the wing mirrors all smoothed, look far better.

Still a fair way to go until she is ready to drive, but this is a massive leap forward.

Hurry up summertime!!
synXero

Post by synXero »

That looks an expensive respray. Looking forward to seeing it stuck together.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

It wasnt cheap, but the level of finish im looking for with this build wouldn't ever be cheap. Nor would I ever let someone who claims to be the cheapest anywhere near my car.

Same with parts, if its not genuine, its not going on, I see too many MR2s mascarading around with copied, badly fitting aftermarket parts sporting a 'cheap' flakey respray. This car originally came as one of those 'street racing' monstrosities.

Save that rubbish for your car park warriors in their shopping trolleys. The MR2, especially the turbo is an absolute gem of a car, they need treating as such.

</soapbox> :lol:
Last edited by l1ca on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Looks like the build has commenced: \:D/

Not sure whether or not to paint the central section of both the lip and the bumper black now? Or maybe just paint the central bar black to break up that central mass of CW?
synXero

Post by synXero »

Don't paint the dip. It looks poo. There is no shut like separating the two paint colours which looks pish IMO.

As for your soapbox, you could equally counter your point by saying why are you spending thousands on a drivers car ;)
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Im going to drive its poor little ar$e off, but I wouldn't mind it looking the part too ;)

This wont turn into a 5 miles a year show queen :lol:

Dont paint the dip

I played around in Photoshop for a while and yea I think you're right, it did look a little naff, ill be leaving that off, I saw one a while back online that looked pretty good, thats where I got the idea, but this other one did have a few other bits around the car painted black.
craig

Post by craig »

Looking forward to seeing this on the Le Mans trip. Paintwork looks stunning.
synXero

Post by synXero »

It only looks good in touched up photos. In real life it looks crappy. IMO.

Return to “Member Profiles”