[Mk2] [NA] MR2 TDI

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

devonlad108

Re: [Mk2] [NA] MR2 TDI

Post by devonlad108 »

Looking pretty good progress so far, Following this with great interest, I've got a golf with an AHF in it, and an MR2 with a NA petrol. Im a bi fan of DERV, to many peoples confusion, and this looks like one hell of a setup...
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Thanks Devonlad. It sounds like you better get started putting that TDI in the MR2 :)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

lozzzzzz wrote:

Looks in to me .. well done buddy :thumleft: .. great thread :D
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

A little update. The exhaust is finished, i'm quite chuffed with how light it is now that its based on the turbo system.

The new drive shafts have arrived and are now fitted:

I had a very frustrating day on the car though, lots of time wasted trying to sort proof of the emgine change, and one of the CV joints arrived in bits!!! very frustrating.

More to come
Draven

Post by Draven »

I keep logging in here to see where this is getting. You're doing stellar work. gives me motivation to finish mine
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Thanks Draven :) :) Hopefully I'll get a bit more done on Tuesday.
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Had a whole day on it today. I managed to get all the drive shaft and suspension bolts torqued up, although the bl***y TCA bolt took an hour to locate in the hole :(

I took the EGR blank off and cleaned it up. It is much more visible than I thought it was going to be, so I've ground it back a tad.

Got all the bits of pipe and joiner sections together and connected up the main coolant hoses to the radiator (still got to connect up the heater hoses and mount the tank).

Got the last under-tray mounted (although mainly with cable ties).

And finally had a scratch around with the wire brush and applied a good coating of stone chip under the arches.

Just the brakes and clutch to bleed and it can go back on its wheels with all the remaining jobs to be done from above :) :)

More to come :)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

lozzzzzz wrote:
More to come :)

Cant wait .. looks like your going great guns :thumleft:
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Thanks 2mad :)
benjo

Post by benjo »

I think it's a great idea!! I love sound of my Mr on full chatter,but I also have 2ltr hdi van for work,not saying it's fastes thing on the rd but little chavs carnt keep up with it! :thumleft: I'll be interested to see the finished product and good luck with the project
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Thanks Benjo :)
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Moved to newly created 'MR2 Engine Swaps' section.

:thumleft:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Thanks Scott, that sounds like the best place to put it.

I've been busy with lots of other car related stuff, so haven't had any time on the MR2 for a while. But this weekend I did get some done, and with some help too :) (cheers Matt)

The exhaust is fitted, I've bled the brakes and clutch, starred for hours at the gear linkage, finished the coolant hoses (just the expansion tank to go now), trimmed the subframe where the driveshaft was looking a little close and even found a way to connect the Toyota air box to the TDI MAF sensor (not yet fitted but I know how :) )

I've done away with all the resonance chambers (turbo means far less pulsing in the inlet pipe). No need for all these:

Found a new cold air feed for the filter housing :) (without the massive resonance chamber):

And I even managed to find the air box mount that I had previously thrown away :)

Then to top it all off, I got the diesel filter mounted and managed to start it for the first time with the exhaust on :) The video isn't very informative but the cut down long story is that the exhaust is very quiet :) but the engine is very loud!!! (I think I'm going to need to sound deadening under the engine cover)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ke2LAJ ... e=youtu.be

The first start is with an empty filter so it runs out of diesel pretty quick, second is after we'd primed the filter.

More to come
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Great vid, mr2 turbo-d lives .. outstanding mate :thumleft:
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

I've had a very productive morning on the MR2 although my success has been accompanied by some new problems to solve. The fuel lines are all in now and the engine runs with the simple connecting of the battery and turning of the key :)

The vacuum feed to the brake servo is now connected up.

And the expansion tank is finally mounted and I've filled the system with coolant and bled it, although its not got fully hot yet, so there might be more bubbles to remove.

There are however a couple of issues. The coil light flashes after a minute or so of running, I'm not sure really what that means. And more concerning, it smokes! a lot! blue smoke, I think its unburnt fuel.

I messed around a little with the timing before the engine went in, I advanced it knowing that this can be a god idea with Bio, This morning I retarded it again to see if it cured the smoke. It made lots less combustion noise, but still smoked plenty. I thought this might just be down to it being on bio, but that can't be right, my 106 doesn't smoke at all. It could be that an injector or two is contaminated? I did run it a couple of times without a filter1 :(

Any ideas welcome? I've love to hear what you think about the smoke or the flashing coil light?

More to come
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Sounds like it needs to regenerate.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Normally on vag engines, this relates to something in braking circuit. A blown bulb or faulty/mis adjusted brake pedal switch. The brake pedal switch is hooked into the ecu so that when braking it cuts the fuel.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Blue smokes a big worrie, turbo oil seals or valve stem seals .. hope its something simple 8-[

Be a total shame if something like that derailed an awesome project :cry:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

How you getting on mate , hope it wasn't anything catastrophic 8-[
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

No smoke, no poke ;)

Brilliant project btw!

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”