[Mk2] [NA] MR2 TDI

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

synXero

Re: [Mk2] [NA] MR2 TDI

Post by synXero »

Those are incredible photographs. Did you have an assistant?
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

No assistant, turns out my dad was free that evening, I'm gutted I didn't take him along really.

I did have the assistance of a wireless remote for the camera, but that only helped in that I didn't open the shutter until I was back on the road with the car (and I needed the torch to get back off the hill).

Its just the fact that its so dark you have all the time you need to move a small light everywhere you want illuminating.
Red Devil

Post by Red Devil »

Great project. Much kudos. \:D/ Not my cup tea tbh but if I had my own biofuel plant that would be a different matter.

lozzzzzz wrote:In a break from MR2 stuff….
The Scimitar ran out of tax yesterday. As a little treat, I took it up to Rhayada for a late night blast. It was a lot of fun, not another car for miles :) :) :)

I think you meant Rhyader. :wink:

Cool pics. :thumleft: Even without the clue above I recognised the location. Was up there in February on a MR2OC run aroun mid Wales - Claerwen dam
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Red Devil wrote:I think you meant Rhyader. :wink:

And I think you meant Rhayader :wink:

Just down the road from my parents house.

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Any holiday updates mate ??
Red Devil

Post by Red Devil »

JAAASH wrote:
Red Devil wrote:I think you meant Rhyader. :wink:

And I think you meant Rhayader :wink:

Touché! :oops:
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Hello again. I've made quite a bit of progress recently but haven't really had time to post about it. Well here is a bit of an update.

I've changed the cambelt, idlers and water pump (but was disappointed to find they were in really good condition so could have saved a load of money)

I've cut of the bits I don't need leaving just the tensioned and alternator:

Next was to sort out the horrendous throttle and EGR situation. The crank case gas recirculation means that oil makes it into the inlet and the EGR means that soot gets in there too, the combination means an epic building up of black crud (you can see it in the photo below). The already small inlet pipe had 8mm of caked on crap so that was cleaned out. The EGR was welded up (using bird poo, check out that weld) and the throttle and EGR valve was binned. In fact I went further than that and cut the elbow of the manifold completely. (The throttle is only used when the engine is switched off, it creates an inlet manifold vacuum, just like in a petrol car. Less gas in the cylinders means less compression and the engine spins gently to a stop, rather than the abrupt shaking you can get with older diesels. I can live with that for more power.)

Imagine the restriction this was giving:

This is after cutting:

I then cleaned and ported the manifold a little and used the rubber hose straight onto the manifold:

All done:

I've found a 760mm belt to drive just the alternator:

Yesterday I started messing about with the intercooler to see if I could get it to fit against the MR2s side duct. The plan being to use a micro switch under the throttle to switch on the fan and pull air through the intercooler on full throttle.

Its still not perfect really, I'll keep pondering this one.

I tested to see if the throttle pedal feel was ok if I just connected up the MR2 pedal to the TDI variable resistor.

It was great, good pressure needed to push it (it just supports the weight of your foot) and a decent amount of travel (a little less than previously but still plenty for accurate control). So I welded a more permanent version into the under bonnet space.

And the last thing I got done yesterday was to attach the clutch pedal switch on to the MR2 clutch pedal (as I plan to have cruise control).

Sorry for the crap images, I was using my phone again. I'll take a better camera next time.

More to come
synXero

Post by synXero »

Such a mad project. Kudos to you. Can you remind me of the power/torque specs on the engine again?
Last edited by synXero on Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I like the end tank flip on the intercooler, may be worth adding a big strap (i.e long jubilee clip) around the core and end tanks to prevent it blowing off under high boost - an old R5 gt turbo trick

although on full throttle there should be enough air flow through the intercooler, the fan is only really any use when you are stationary/crawling to prevent heat soak
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Amazing. Full kudos to you
craig

Post by craig »

yep, hats off to you mate.
Toyota nut

Post by Toyota nut »

Love this idea Brillant !!
Great project
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Thanks everyone :)

I'm still mulling over the intercooler a bit, It still doesn't fit very well, a bit of a squeeze, but I'd like to get it in there and save some money.

The engine started life as a 110hp TDI.

The original plan was to add:
solid flywheel,
VR6 clutch,
T5 injectors,
PD 130/150 inlet manifold
PD130/150 turbo

And with that little lot and a remap you can have !80hp is, perhaps even more when you've binned the EGR and cat.

There has been a change of plan for me though. I've binned the EGR and Cat, but I'm only going to put a little "tuning box" (resistor) on it and get 140hp ish. I've got to save more money, and the difference in cost is £1000 to get to 180hp.
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

I made a bit more progress last night.

Lots of grinding away at the old MR2 dials, trying to get the TDI dials to fit inside. On paper that sounds like very little progress, but.. I did spend a while looking at it and figuring out how it was all going to come together. I'm pretty sure I know how to finish the interior side of things now. The dials are officially in (although the dead space either side of the TDI dials still needs painting black). I'm going to have a number of switches on a panel in the spare space above the radio (its double height), including the MFA, cruise control and perhaps a switch for the little power booster thingy (resistor).

Very pleased with progress I was too.

Forgive the dust all over the clear plastic, I haven't cleaned anything after grinding yet:

More to come
2mad

Post by 2mad »

lozzzzzz .. your project rocks dude :thumleft:... 100 % faith you'll finish this build 8)
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Thanks 2mad :) :)

Comments on the forums help keep me going :)
craig

Post by craig »

You're doing really well mate, I doth my cap to thee. Well done. :clap:
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Brilliant stuff. A cool diesel project - who'd of thought it? I was interested in this to start with just from the engineering standpoint but I have to say I am hooked on the whole project now.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

slipping clutch wrote: I am hooked on the whole project now.

Me too .. hope he finishes this because its awesome .
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Right then! A much needed update.

I've got the dials looking how I want them to now, and they're fully wired in, and fully working :) But as I was putting them in for the last time I cracked the Clear plastic (the toyota bit). I'm a little gutted but this can be easily replaced at some point when I have more money to spend. (you can't see it very well in the photo but the crack goes from the top down through the speedo)

The illumination adjuster now serves no purpose so I've blanked it off.

I've reached a point where I really need to get the engine in before any other work can progress. So I cleaned up the garage and lined the engines up to get an idea where the TDI will need to sit in the engine bay.

Then set about making the first engine mount.

I got these bars to the same length and flattened the ends on the lathe:

Drilled them out on the lathe:

These will mean I can use the same three bolt holes that VW intended:

Cut a plate to shape:

And welded on the engine mount:

This is ready for a trial fit on Sunday (I'm very excited), if all goes well I'll start looking at the gearbox mount and add some bracing to this mount.

It is with regret that I'm altering the budget of this project, I'm now having to reduce costs as much as possible. This mainly means it'll be on the rather nasty 14" wheels for a bit (the gearing will be 5% down, i.e. more revs for the same speed) and the engine tuning will be in the form of decat, decoke and fit the +35hp "chip" (resistor). it should still match the brothers fabia VRS though :)

More to come

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”