[Mk2] [NA] MR2 TDI

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lozzzzzz

Re: [Mk2] [NA] MR2 TDI

Post by lozzzzzz »

Got some more done last night, nothing major to report other than I set the small target that I set myself and removed the last of the loom from the interior (not yet the engine bay though).
It just needs feeding through the bulkhead when the engine side is disconnected.

I didn't really show a very good pic of the engine before so here it is:

Sorry for the crappo pics, I won't use my phone next time.

Work starts on the engine loom at the weekend.

More to come
rs007

Post by rs007 »

Love this idea, the modern(ish)TDI engine could be great fun with the right diff; way more low down grunt than any petrol, meaning far more controllable steer-from-the-rear driving... although what you are saving on 28p a litre fuel, you might end up having to spend on rear tyres :D

My daily runner is an 04 Octavia TDi, its grunty as hell for what it is, I've often thought it would be superb to gut it and put its innards into an MR2... so very interested how this will go - subscribed!

How do you plan to hook up the drive, which box etc?
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Thanks rs007 :)

I'll be transferring across the whole engine and gearbox into the MR2. Then the gearing will be right for the engine. I've then go to choose some wheels (most likely lexus) and select the right tire to give me the same circumference as the toledo wheels (or bigger for longer gearing).
rs007

Post by rs007 »

lozzzzzz wrote:Thanks rs007 :)

I'll be transferring across the whole engine and gearbox into the MR2. Then the gearing will be right for the engine. I've then go to choose some wheels (most likely lexus) and select the right tire to give me the same circumference as the toledo wheels (or bigger for longer gearing).

I have heard of FWD boxes being used in this fashion, it is doable but you might have some struggle getting the shifting working just nice, fair bit of beard scratching and fabrication probably, but its doable for sure!

Mad as a bag of bats, but doable!!! Make it happen :D
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

I got some more done this weekend, between jobs on the 106 :(

I've finally got all the loom out and labelled everything up. I've got a nasty feeling there is no speed sensor on the gearbox at all, I imagine it must use one of more of the ABS sensors :( thats a bummer as I've cut them all off.

Anyway, progress so far.

The loom is now completely free from the car and all the bits I need (minus the ABS sensors) are in tact.

The engine is nearly free and ready to come out:

More to come
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

good progress :thumleft:
rs007

Post by rs007 »

Any updates?

:)
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

rs007 wrote:Any updates?

:)

I think he may be figuring out just how the hell he's gonna make it work
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

Such little faith lol.

I probably would of gone for a Toyota diesel myself
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Steady on :) No problem might be a little strong, but I'll get this done.

I'm a project finisher!!!

this was the last project:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... imitar+MV6

I'm just a little short on time at the moment, new job and making bio seems to be taking a little while too.

I'm hoping to finally get the engine out tomorrow and start pulling the MR2 apart.
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

I'm really wrestling with time at the moment, the new job requires 7 more hours a week than my last job and its an hour away where the last job was 11mins. That and making bio has meant a huge reduction in car time :(

I'm working on it though (getting more time and the car)

The engine is finally out :) :) :)
ImageImage

There are a few more bits to harvest from the toledo then its off to the scrap yard in the sky:

There is a nice DOC to sell under there somewhere. There diesel in the tank to extract and some sections of exhaust might come in useful too.

I'm still undecided on which direction to go now. Strip the loom, learn more about the MR2 loom, or just get stuck in stripping and tuning the TDI motor first???

Well I've got to stop the scimitar exhaust tapping on the floor of the car first and fit new track rod ends to the pug. But hopefully in the not too distant future I can get a solid 8 hours on this.

More to come
2mad

Post by 2mad »

After looking at your last project, i've got complete faith you can do this, time wiling. Getting both looms to work together is going to be fun.
Look forward to seeing you progress :thumleft:

Kev.
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Thanks 2mad :)
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

My comment was aimed at having faith in you and not jumping to mean conclusion as we don't know you.

Your previous built is evidence enough to me you have skills and shall complete
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Sorry :( I too didn't mean to sound abrupt.

It can be hard to read emotions. I should have used a :) or two :) :)

Thanks though :)

I'm really excited about this project. I've been dreaming up various projects since the Scimitar has neared completion. But none really stuck, this however is exactly right, I'm so keen to get it done. I think it will make an awesome car with over 250ftlb (maybe nearer 300) and 60 mpg.

I really can't wait to drive it.

I did notice yesterday though that while the MR2 engine bay is plenty deep enough (front to back) its about 6 inches narrower than the toledo!!!

And on that bomb shell

Watch this space.
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

I spent most of this morning pulling the last few bits off the toledo, the first length of exhaust pipe, the gear linkage and a few nuts and bolts. I put the bumper back on, and the bonnet. Drained the tank and put it in the daily driver.

Then out came the Scimitar and in went the MR2. I've taken a few bits off it and had a good look over it. I think I'm going to do something like what I did with the Toledo. Label everything up as I disconnect it, take the engine and box out, then open up the loom and check there is nothing in that stretch of loom that I need.

So this is where I'm at at the moment. It still doesn't look like much progress, but I really have run out of other things to do now :)

This might sound strange, but I really like working on Toyotas, this is the fourth Toyota I've worked on and they just seem to be so well put together. Everything is in a sensible place, well made with dimple topped captive washer bolts, and all rather well thought out.

More to come.
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

A few questions for you well informed Mr Two people.

I've found the temp sensor that switches on the fan, and the inlet air temp sensor in the air box, so what the hell is this?

And if someone could explain roughly what these are, that would be great?

And lastly. In the next photo is the "fan control" box, I assume this is the engine bay fan rather than the radiator fan so can this be un-picked from the engine loom and run with a different engine in there?

What is the 4 pin connector covered in sponge? (it looks like an afterthought)

Are the 3 big connectors on the ECU grouped sensibly? I found that the engine would nearly run with the "thinner wires" plug not connected to the ECU, I thought it might be the for the instruments up front, but they still worked too? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
rs007

Post by rs007 »

lozzzzzz wrote:Steady on :) No problem might be a little strong, but I'll get this done.

I'm a project finisher!!!

this was the last project:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... imitar+MV6

I'm just a little short on time at the moment, new job and making bio seems to be taking a little while too.

I'm hoping to finally get the engine out tomorrow and start pulling the MR2 apart.

A PROPER project, superb! Done something very similar many years ago, feel like I'm gearing up to do something like that again...

You'll finish this, piece of pi$$ by comparison!

I'd personally bin off everything MR2 and harvest everything from the Seat, right down to the clocks etc, and make those fit - rather than trying to splice the two.

Missus took our Skoda a run to Glasgow and back the other day, maybe 80 mile round trip 60% motorway, some city centre, some urban - and averaged 74mpg, that in an MR2 with that same low down grunt... thats basically what you are going to end up with!
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Yey! I got more done today :) :) :)

Got the MR2 motor out. I've said it before and will no doubt say it many more times... I love working on Toyotas.

Another bit of good news is that I found the TDI engine is 3 inches shorter than the MR2 engine so there's plenty of room :)

Having had a good look at the two, I think I've now got a design in my head for how to make the toyota engine mounts fit the TDI engine.

More to come.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Amazing! Keep up the progress!

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”