Grinding noise when turning right

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BIGBOBO

Grinding noise when turning right

Post by BIGBOBO »

My car sometimes makes a metal grinding noise when I make a right turn. The sound comes from the rear but I couldn't find any play in the wheel bearings.

What else should I be looking at?
andyj

Re: Grinding noise when turning right

Post by andyj »

Have you perhaps an LSD without an LSD compatible oil in there?
MarkCL

Post by MarkCL »

Are you 100% sure it's coming from the rear? You see I had a similar issue on my GT-Four many moons ago, turned out to be a new front brake disk rubbing on the backplate, but only when turning in one direction and close to full lock - the plate had gotten bent when the disk was changed and just needed a bit of persuasion to go back in place. Just something else to check :)

Cheers,
Mark
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

As far as I know I don't have an LSD and the oil in the gearbox is less than a year old.

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the rear and it can't be the backplates since I removed all of them (ST165 front and SW20 rear brakes).

I only noticed the noise when it was hot outside (25 degrees) or doing tight corners.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Brakes might be sticking slightly, whilst the car is making the noise, have you tried braking ? this might make it stop or worsen, also the turning may also be putting aditional latteral forces on brakes so if they are sticky slightly this could cause the noise.

Some people might think BS but this is exactly what was happening to my brothers Saab and it was down to a sticky slider.

Try braking when you hear the noise, see if you can hear a change in noise.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

Thanks, I will try that next time I hear it. (hard to reproduce)

Not sure if that will fix it though, I completely rebuild the front brakes and regreased everything on the back, including the piston
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

I might be completely wrong :lol: but I think anything is worth a try when you don't know where the noise is coming from, also what type of grease did you use on the sliders because that is improtant to get right.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Worth having a look at the bearings. Nothing too challenging.

Jack the rear up, hand brake on, in gear, rear wheels off, split pin and washer off, then you'll need a deep 30mm socket on a big breaker bar. Slacken the hub nut off then give it a good nip up (to the correct torque if you have a torque wrench).

This might fix your problem if your bearings are on the way out or it might not, no great loss if it wasn't the bearings.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”