5SGTE Build Complete

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

^Trickster^

Re: 5SGTE Build Complete

Post by ^Trickster^ »

The displacement is around 2.07 give or take, this is gained by the 87.5mm pistons, the deck height of a 5s engine is the same as the 3s, the 5s has a longer stroke with pistons that have the wrist pin higher in the piston.

Yeh shes a star and hates missing out on anything to do with cars and racing!

Graeme
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Very jelly :D , given free rein and the funds to do it, I don't think I would have done anything different, great build :thumleft:

Edit.. if money was not object, mabe a small supercharger for low-end torque lol .. whats lag like with this setup, when does full boost kick in .
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I have driven a big turbo setup for quite a few years now and you learn to drive around lag, i get full boost around 5000rpm and rev to 8500

If money was no object id rather have an electric motor hybrid in there over a supercharger lol
ashley

Post by ashley »

What size injectors are you running Graeme, and are you injecting methanol? Difficult to see from your boot pictures, but obviously some funky stuff going on in there!
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I have 1000cc injectors, aeromotive a1000 fuel pump, -10 supply and -6 return, deadheaded fuel rail

I inject water/meth mix as an addition, its not mapped for it, incase it fails.

I will be changing the setup and having a 2.0-2.2 bar setting with water/meth injection or maybe just meth, but will work on that later

Graeme
ashley

Post by ashley »

Thanks for sharing mate, I'm impressed at the 8.5k redline- that takes some balls 8)
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

These engines are sweet to 8.5k mate, even with over bucket shims, I know plwnty that rev to 9k with stock oil pump and various shim setups :-)
ashley

Post by ashley »

Interesting...what about with the 2.2 crank?

EDIT: What cams are you running? Must be pretty lairy to keep the torque coming at 8.5k rpm. Do you have a build thread somewhere I've missed, save me asking you so many dumb questions?! 8-[
greeny

Post by greeny »

^Trickster^ wrote:Thanks guys

She was checking the base timing, for real haha

She monitors engine datalogs and gauges while I race lol, she loves cars and f1 so I'm lucky, we going to Italy to Monza for the f1 race

If you haven't already, marry her!!

P.s. Does she have a sister? :mrgreen:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Greeny: I intend to haha, she has a brother.... But I don't think that would work out for you lol

Ashley: with the 2.2 crank setup you can still rev it high, you just get more piston wear with it being more square/under square depending on your actual setup

I kept the 86mm crank and 87.5mm pistons for an over square engine for increased longevity and it being happier to rev because there is less piston movement, when you pull an engine apart the driven side is always more noticeably worn on square and under square engines than over square

I am running 272 intake and 264 exhaust standard lift to keep the engine non interference.

I don't do threads on this site much as I prefer the mr2oc.com, it's more technically orientated with bigger builds and has a lot more info in my personal opinion, hope i don't upset anyone with that comment!

Graeme
ashley

Post by ashley »

I'll go looking on the MR2OC then mate :wink:
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Anything you want to know just ask or PM me, I dont hide anything about my build.

Ive had high power builds for years now and everything has been trial and error and refinement for me, im an electrician by trade and this has been an 11 year continual project now.

I made this post as I know some people are genuinely interested and it helps others to make decisions about their own build and pick up ideas that actually work in the real world and is not just theory or talk.

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments, there are some genuinely good people on this site that I have dealt with over the years and im close friends with.

Big thanks to Paul Woods aswell for borrowing me a hub at very short notice after I found out the day before the dyno that the carrier bearing for the tie arm was knocking its brains out!

Graeme

Greeny - get your car built man, show everyone what real power is haha
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Ill be hounding you soon then if you have nothing to hide :lol:
And shes defo a keeper, no wonder im single.. I refuse to date a girl who doesnt share similar interests or enthusiasm to cars as me! Or they just get bored of listening to me talking about cars =;
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Havent posted for a while, but I have put a very brief video of the history of the car together if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpCFy1hd2Co

Graeme
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

One of the few members who's builds deserve respect. Awesome work Graeme!
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

this looks awesome, do you ever get out to any shows/meets around the north east? I'd love to have a poke around it!
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Cracking build mate. I know exactly what you mean regards to building your own engine. Sense of achievement is worth it but yeah theres always some nerves there too :)

I would do it again in a heartbeat. Including the day after day where you will talk to no one while you work out clearances and measure tolerances and calculate things lol
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Thanks for the comments.

I dont know where meets and shows are to go to them ha

I have built a few engines, that is literally a brief video, ive had a couple of cracked blocks, spun a bottom end shell, melted pistons, detonated and destroyed an engine. Video would be too long ha

Graeme
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

^Trickster^ wrote:Thanks for the comments.

I dont know where meets and shows are to go to them ha

I have built a few engines, that is literally a brief video, ive had a couple of cracked blocks, spun a bottom end shell, melted pistons, detonated and destroyed an engine. Video would be too long ha

Graeme

2nd wed of every month, 6:30pm onwards @ the metrocentre - classic/american/interesting car meet

there's a show in hexham tomorrow that I'll be at in my Laurel too -http://www.fastlaneshow.co.uk/the-show.html
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Ill try and get down to one of the metro centre meets, or should i say up! Where abouts is it there?

Thanks

Graeme

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”