[Mk2] [Turbo] Twin Turbo/Twin Charging

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Twin charging/Twin Turboing is.....

A waste of time!
No votes
A waste of money!
No votes
A waste of time and money!
29%
Greeeatt!
21%
Interesting, but probably not worth it.
36%
Not possible.
No votes
A brilliant idea, and I can help you do it for cheap.
14%

Total votes: 14

Shmed

[Mk2] [Turbo] Twin Turbo/Twin Charging

Post by Shmed »

Probably a very short lived question, but what is the general consensus on twin charging or twin turbo's on a 5S-GTE?

The internet suggests waste of time and money for minimal gain, but who believes what they read on the internet...... 8-[

From what I have gathered, people think that 4 pot's aren't worth twin charging and you should just buy a different turbo. But what if you want to have your cake and eat it? I want the high end power, but I want a fast spool too.

Anti-lag was the other option, but that is banned in the TSS.

In terms of twin turbo's, I am thinking GT28 coupled with the GT35 in a sequential arrangement - detailed at this page as a 2-Stage Variable Twin-turbo
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Draven

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Twin Turbo/Twin Charging

Post by Draven »

I would be very interested to learn about this.
Draven

Post by Draven »

I know Twin charged her MK1.. I know different engine
shinny

Post by shinny »

Olly.Dent's twin charged beast: http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/104214.html :wink:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I do have a tendency to get carried away in the more complex solutions, when there is probably a far simpler one out there. Essentially, what I want to achieve is low end spool but retain the high end 'oompf'.

One thing Blyton Park showed me is that the GT35 takes a bit too long to spool, however this was largely down to the fact that I couldn't use 2nd gear for fear of being black flagged for noise.

The obvious thing I need to do first is swap my exhaust for something quieter (ball in motion). This could be all that needs to be done, as with 2nd gear back in play, I could overcome the slow drive out of corners.

In terms of twin charging, the idea of an SC for the instant power is appealing because it is (relatively) simple.

I'm not sure if two variable sequential turbo's on a petrol engine has been done anywhere, and that suggests to me that it probably won't work, otherwise someone would have already done it.

I think a large part of it is down to wanting something unique....

Must resist tinker temptation.
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I notice everyone who has posted on here is now active on MR2OC :lol: busy day fellas?
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Draven

Post by Draven »

Shmed wrote:I notice everyone who has posted on here is now active on MR2OC :lol: busy day fellas?

8-[
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

Have you read up on compound charging at all?

might be an option to get what you are after?
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Mmmmm, compound turbo, Arghlll (Homer Simpson style)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/my-com ... up.336541/

I read this years ago but saved it, it made like 600bhp but totally stuck it to 750bhp motors with single turbo setups. Got to build the bottom end for mega boost, like 30-45psi
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Super_red wrote:Mmmmm, compound turbo, Arghlll (Homer Simpson style)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/my-com ... up.336541/

I read this years ago but saved it, it made like 600bhp but totally stuck it to 750bhp motors with single turbo setups. Got to build the bottom end for mega boost, like 30-45psi

That looks amazing and I remember seeing a simmilar setup on an R32 GT-R on speedhunters a while back.

Surely though, after working out where everythings gonna go in the relatively cramped mr2 engine bay would be how you would dissipate the extra heat. Seems like a good setup for a drag racer but a bit complex for doing laps around a track.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Shmed wrote:Probably a very short lived question, but what is the general consensus on twin charging or twin turbo's on a 5S-GTE?

The internet suggests waste of time and money for minimal gain, but who believes what they read on the internet...... 8-[

From what I have gathered, people think that 4 pot's aren't worth twin charging and you should just buy a different turbo. But what if you want to have your cake and eat it? I want the high end power, but I want a fast spool too.

Anti-lag was the other option, but that is banned in the TSS.

In terms of twin turbo's, I am thinking GT28 coupled with the GT35 in a sequential arrangement - detailed at this page as a 2-Stage Variable Twin-turbo

And how would you put the power to the ground with a fast spool turbo?

If you want instant boost I have a nitrous system to do that.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Nitrous is probably your best option. GeorgeL seems to have done it to good effect :)
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Looks like compound charging is the same as the link I posted above, where one turbo boosts through the other. Nitrous isn't allowed in TSS so not an option.

I think, before going too far into the rabbit hole, I need to get a quieter exhaust...my other drawing board plan is for a full sequential dog box with auto blipper and flappy paddles. That, and some better gear ratios will probably set me up quite nicely (and with a similar price tag I imagine...)
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

bobhatton wrote:

Would traction really be an issue? I'm not talking about generating loads of boost at low revs, just want to eliminate the turbo lag so I'm not waiting for the turbo to spool when taking corners in 3rd. Taking corners in 2nd is ok, but still have to shift quickly after, so driving all the way through 3rd would be nice!
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Shmed wrote:
bobhatton wrote:

Would traction really be an issue? I'm not talking about generating loads of boost at low revs, just want to eliminate the turbo lag so I'm not waiting for the turbo to spool when taking corners in 3rd. Taking corners in 2nd is ok, but still have to shift quickly after, so driving all the way through 3rd would be nice!

It depends on the power of the engine.

Anti lag and traction control is the way to go.

Two stage turbocharging, the correct name for what you are talking about is to give much higher boost.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

What Ollie does. Use an sc to speed the spool of the turbo.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

bobhatton wrote:
Shmed wrote:
bobhatton wrote:

It depends on the power of the engine.

Anti lag and traction control is the way to go.

Two stage turbocharging, the correct name for what you are talking about is to give much higher boost.

Surprised you recommend anti lag?
No 2 :(
synXero

Post by synXero »

Surely research into a different final drive ratio is going to be most cost effective. Far more cost effective than compound charging an (unforged?) engine where it hasn't been done before!

That said, I'd love to see it done.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

synXero wrote:Surely research into a different final drive ratio is going to be most cost effective. Far more cost effective than compound charging an (unforged?) engine where it hasn't been done before!

That said, I'd love to see it done.

Didn't Shmed buy Simon Hick's awesome 2.2 5S car?
No 2 :(

Return to “Modifications”