suspension

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Harry Cy

suspension

Post by Harry Cy »

Ii am going to renew my suspension...
Thought 1.original mr2 rev1 turbo or
2nd Blisteins rev2-3 or
3rd HSD dual tech suspension.

Strictly road use car no track days.
Opinions or links would be very helpful

Thank you..
HighwayStar

Re: suspension

Post by HighwayStar »

Heya fella
You don't say what you want from the car. Comfort? Looks? Handling? You really need to decide purpose first then get the appropriate bits.
Simply put do you want it lower and firmer or the same as standard? If lower it's coilovers or a set of lowering springs with suitable dampers...
You can lower a little with say Eibach springs and retain a lot of comfort or slam it low with Tein springs which look great and offer most body control but offer no comfort. You've then got to match them with a set of dampers... for standard springs or Eibach/Apex etc I'd go Bilstein Black billies. For the lower Teins I'd go with Yellow billies... IF comfort isn't an issue.
Most things other than standard should lower you a bit since rev1s sit higher than the later cars anyway so standard springs for a rev 4/5 say should see a reduction in height.
Lots of advice to be had here on suspension but you really need to diecide what you're after first....

R

You can see my Rev1 set up in my garage but whilst its fabulous fun in the twisties its filling loosening pain on a potholed high street.... Horses for Courses.
Harry Cy

Post by Harry Cy »

I would like to be as comfortable as it gets in compare to stock with around 3cm lower.. that's y I was looking for the Hsd dual shock. But if I can achieve that with black blistein and the eibash springs then my question is answered.

Thank you very much.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

If you want comfort, your best bet would be a set of koni inserts combined with eibachs.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Race Idiot makes a good point.
Unlike the later cars the rev 1 dampers are rebuildable so you can just replace the inserts.... if you still have all 4 original dampers onboard! Inserts available from people like Rogue and Fensport and made by Koni and a few others.

R
Donato

Post by Donato »

Harry Cy wrote:I would like to be as comfortable as it gets in compare to stock with around 3cm lower.. that's y I was looking for the Hsd dual shock.

If you want comfort, you definitely don't want HSD's!
Draven

Post by Draven »

If you happen to decide you want Rev3 Bilsteins then iv'e got a set I want rid of.
mrturbotom

Post by mrturbotom »

Hsd monopro are comfy. Comfier than my konis where. But I never had them on full soft as it feels sloppy
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Depends on what springs you had with the konis tbh.
Harry Cy

Post by Harry Cy »

II found oem suspension quite comfortable
So a bit stiffer want make much difference
For my taste but I don't want to shake inside my car .

Insert s sound good really and prices are fair
Coz that also matters..
Harry Cy

bad news

Post by Harry Cy »

When i changed my rims i notised movement to the front right hub bolts
And I also need spigot rings for the new wheels
Now my problems became 2,1st car tend to go left plus the wear in the iner front right tyre(hopefully if i change the hub it will be fixed)
, and 2nd tremble after sixty miles coz of the spigot rings(known reason)
Harry Cy

about the shocks

Post by Harry Cy »

I have decided to go with koni inserts and eibash springs coz the rev1suspension can be updated quite easy as i have read....that is if the problems are fixed and i still have the money for the suspension parts.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”