Clutches

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

Clutches

Post by Draven »

I've removed my clutch as part of my build. Looking at it there is very little meat available on it.. So i'm planning on changing it.

I'm undecided what to change it for. Ideally I don't want to pay £100's. Looking on TCB they've got a couple for the Rev3

Exedy 3 Piece Clutch Kit £126 + vat

Or

Solid Ace 3 Piece Clutch Kit £126 + vat

Now both of these look really good and i know Exedy are a very well known make. I've however never heard of Solid ace before.

The different between the two that I can tell is that the Exedy has springs and Solid Ace use rubber and seems a more OEM clutch.

Then Simba is selling a

Exedy Stage 2 clutch
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=179367

Which I like the look of. Its a second hand clutch i'm not sure on the deal with them are they a good idea?

My car has a CT20B, Apexi intake, Greddy IC, and a Blitz Nur..

Would it be worth going for the Stage 2 or would just a normal OEM style clutch be better.
Draven

Re: Clutches

Post by Draven »

I've also asked MRT for a price just so I've got all the prices.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I've just put a standard Exedy clutch and it is spot on with similar spec. I was told to stay clear of the uprated Exedy ones. :thumleft:
No 2 :(
craig

Post by craig »

MR2 Rich wrote:I was told to stay clear of the uprated Exedy ones. :thumleft:

I have an uprated Exedy clutch in my car. Far better clutch than the standard one that came out.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

RedMR² wrote:

I have an uprated Exedy clutch in my car. Far better clutch than the standard one that came out.

Just what I was told by someone I trust and his first hand experience. I know Fensport don't want to stock them as well. :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

MR2 Rich wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

Just what I was told by someone I trust and his first hand experience. I know Fensport don't want to stock them as well. :thumleft:

Down to personal opinion I guess. The uprated Exedy clutch is approx £400 new.

I used a stock clutch for 6 years before changing to an uprated Exedy clutch. Feels so much better than stock.

Each to their own like.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

RedMR² wrote:
MR2 Rich wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

Down to personal opinion I guess. The uprated Exedy clutch is approx £400 new.

I used a stock clutch for 6 years before changing to an uprated Exedy clutch. Feels so much better than stock.

Each to their own like.

Definitely personal opinion. :thumleft:

A brand new clutch compared to a 6 year old+ clutch is always going to feel better though, isn't it?. \:D/
craig

Post by craig »

MR2 Rich wrote:

A brand new clutch compared to a 6 year old+ clutch is always going to feel better though, isn't it?. \:D/

The stock clutch I had removed had loads of meat left on it, and wasn't slipping or anything. Sold it on.

I meant the bite/grip of the uprated clutch is far better than stock.
mrturbotom

Post by mrturbotom »

I've only had and known issues with oem spec exedy clutches.

The uprated ones have always been great!
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Buy my one :wink:

I got Peter Gidden to check the exedy when we removed it during my engine swap and he confirmed that it still had loads of life left in it.

I already have an uprated clutch on mine which was also second hand when i bought it (from Peter). It's been amazing and is easily one of my favourite upgrades to the car. I'd never go back to a standard clutch.

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”