Rebuild options

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

davew90

Rebuild options

Post by davew90 »

Hey folks looking for some advice. Got a phone call from the machine shop to say my crankshaft is beyond economical repair. So on search of looking for a new crank I came across the 2.2 stroker kits. Does anyone have any experience with these? Would I have to fit new cams and get a standalone ecu to make the most of it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Meant to say the car is a rev4 turbo.
bobhatton

Re: Rebuild options

Post by bobhatton »

davew90 wrote:Hey folks looking for some advice. Got a phone call from the machine shop to say my crankshaft is beyond economical repair. So on search of looking for a new crank I came across the 2.2 stroker kits. Does anyone have any experience with these? Would I have to fit new cams and get a standalone ecu to make the most of it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Meant to say the car is a rev4 turbo.

What 2.2 stroker kits?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

??
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
ashley

Post by ashley »

You can fit a 5S crank shaft into a 3S block, but you'll need to modify the crank for the 3S rods to fit (the big end journals need turning down).

I think you can also buy stroker cranks that are a direct fit, isn't that one of the cranks that you've used in your build Bob (can't remember the manufacturer)?

I think the trader that shall not be named may sell of the shelf kits to stroke a 3S as well :thumleft:
Fer fecks ache

crank

Post by Fer fecks ache »

If your having the 5S journals custom ground, consider instructing the machine shop to do an off set grind rather than just a standard reduction to journals on the big end, that way you can increase the stroke even further, and this in turn can give you huge scope for compression adjustment, via the lathe on the crowns, you will possibly need to reduce the piston skirts slightly for clearance for the new rotational angle of the rods, you may as well also do a proper job and adjust the weights of the pistons, and balance the engine, (always put the heavy two to the inside pots, and do a full crank balance/nitride job etc, fit lead-bronze bearings, use a decent make like "Vandervell" don't use reticular tin they are poo, should end up with pretty bomb proof bottom end. :^o
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

ashley wrote:

I think you can also buy stroker cranks that are a direct fit, isn't that one of the cranks that you've used in your build Bob (can't remember the manufacturer)?

Jun

http://www.junauto.co.jp/products/crank ... ex.en.html
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”