Mk1b boot dimensions

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

eglin

Mk1b boot dimensions

Post by eglin »

Hi all, I've had a quick search and couldn't find any answers so apologies if it's already been asked.

I'm looking into buying a Mk1b and whilst I know they're not designed to be load luggers I do need to have something of a useable boot.

Does anybody have, or are they able to get the dimensions of the boot for me please? Would removing the boot lining or moving the air filter give you any more space as well?

If it helps, the main thing I need to be able to fit in there are my golf clubs as I play quite a lot [albeit badly], and don't fancy putting them on the passenger seat, especially if I need to park up anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
BIGBOBO

Re: Mk1b boot dimensions

Post by BIGBOBO »

Check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_fqWQzpzlU from minute 7.

I've fitted an entire shopping cart worth of groceries in mine and used it on numerous road and camping trips. It's tight but it held everything you'd need for two persons going away for 10 days.

I do have a mk1a which doesn't have the air filter in the boot and I removed the spare wheel to increase storage space in the front.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Once when slightly inebriated, Limeymk1, Jaspa and myself fitted a 6'1 person into the boot of a MK1, with lid closed. So that will give you an idea of the dimensions :thumleft:

Oh and if you're part of the mafia and need to dispose of two bodies, if you remove the spare wheel you can also fit a 6'1 person into the frunk with it closed! \:D/
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Added proof:

I am going to live forever, or die trying!
eglin

Post by eglin »

Thanks for those great replies, always interesting to see period videos of older cars.

I'm surprised to see you being able to fit someone of 6'1 in the boot so maybe it is slightly roomier than they initially look.

The depth and height look like it shouldn't be an issue as long as the width of the boot opening isn't any less than about 118cm. I'm guessing it isn't with the car's total width being about 166cm [correct me if i'm wrong].

Might have to get saving and on the hunt for a good example!
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

My Mk1b measures 1,230mm from the edge of the air filter box to the other side of the boot Eglin

HTH
Peter

1989 MR2 Mk1 NA T-bar
1998 Ssangyong Korando GLS
2011 Honda Civic Type R
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

As Stuart Kynoch used to love telling people, the MK1 was designed to fit a set of golf clubs in the boot!
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
eglin

Post by eglin »

Thanks again, I've had a measure up of my clubs and it looks like I'm going to be fine getting them in, it'll be tight as all in all they're 122cm at their longest, but as long as they'll fit I'm all good. I can take the driver out of the bag for even more space too. I did take a picture to upload, but I didn't realise I need to post more before I can include urls.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”