Toyota Only Trackday - Blyton park - Saturday 19th July

Reports and Feedback from MR2 related events

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

synXero

Re: Toyota Only Trackday - Blyton park - Saturday 19th July

Post by synXero »

:shock:

Sounds like you got off pretty luckily, all things considered. Glad you're ok mate!!

Was it the slip on spacer rings you were using, or bolt-on hubcentrics?
JD

Post by JD »

twas the slip ons :(

one wheel also a casualty of my stupidity: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 54#1577554
synXero

Post by synXero »

Christ. At least it wasn't your preferred wheels - although despite your comments about wheel weight, I reckon it was 100% going to happen with either set mate. Perhaps it's for the best you didn't get to the track and have it happen at twice the speed.
JD

Post by JD »

You're right, although somehow the SSRs have been on there like that for years with nothing but a slight vibration over about 80mph. I absolutely don't wanna risk it anymore so will be clued up and mounting them properly in the future :pale:
synXero

Post by synXero »

Forgive me if I misread before - but have you damaged your studs as well? Hope not as it's a massive pain in the nootz to change them out, but I'd almost be tempted to say you should just change them out anyway now in case.

Shame I missed this event too but it was just notice and conflicting calendar of events that threw it off. Shame!
JD

Post by JD »

The studs seem fine but yeah I'm thinking they may have been under some stress after a few miles - the wheels and nuts seem to have taken most of the abuse. I'll look into swapping them out on the rear hubs.

Have you had the 'vette on track yet?
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

pistol pete wrote:The last hour of the day was the best
Got a chance to really hammer it round in the completly dry track for first time

Really good day

So what was wrong jd?

I got to Newark cross country and hit what appeared to be an impromtu Niagara. Couldn't see 20 yards. Glad it stayed dry for you, with hindsight i would have enjoyed sitting in on that final bit with you.

Anyway - cross country to A46 then A1 got me home in 4 hours. Made all the more fun by trying not to use the brakes. The A1 is awesome !

As before, triffic day, the rain slowed things up and kept it very interesting. Good also to see Andy and his quite insane 2gr mk3.

Now to find some carbotechs.

Gavs
Last edited by gavsdavs on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

JD wrote:Wheel fell off, sheared my nuts and had a nightmare

You made the right call - you need time and daylight to check things after that sort of event.
synXero

Post by synXero »

gavsdavs wrote:The A1 is awesome !

...Is it? :?

Least favourite road!!
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

synXero wrote:
gavsdavs wrote:The A1 is awesome !

...Is it? :?
Least favourite road!!

It was today - hardly anyone on it :)
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Got a chance to really hammer it round in the completly dry track for first time

Really good day

Glad it dried out! I drove through a monsoon on the way back! Decided to abandon the afternoon session as I needed to be home for 6, so would've had to leave at 3 anyway.

Did you get to the bottom of the suspension direction?

Thanks again for the seat, and sorry for not getting you a passenger ride. I only did about 12 laps all day....
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Shmed wrote:

Really good day

Glad it dried out! I drove through a monsoon on the way back! Decided to abandon the afternoon session as I needed to be home for 6, so would've had to leave at 3 anyway.

Thanks again for the seat, and sorry for not getting you a passenger ride. I only did about 12 laps all day....

My god that car of yours makes some noise! Both in a good way and bad, with bad being it must be a PITA to find a track that will allow you to run :shock:

Cracking looking machine in the flesh. I'd heard so much about it from Peter over the months and the real thing didn't disappoint.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Shmed wrote:

Really good day

No problem..
Yeah after much fetling me and phil got it sorted...
Dry sessionwas awesone

Like phils said you car sounds just fab
Ben

Post by Ben »

So... yeah. I could have timed my new purchase a bit better! Suffice to say I got a bit damp on the way home :lol:

I had a cracking day though, great to see such a good turnout and I hope everyone enjoyed it despite the showers :thumleft:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Magic Beans wrote:
Shmed wrote:

Really good day

My god that car of yours makes some noise! Both in a good way and bad, with bad being it must be a PITA to find a track that will allow you to run :shock:

Cracking looking machine in the flesh. I'd heard so much about it from Peter over the months and the real thing didn't disappoint.

Cheers :) Was it you I spoke to in the red MR2? I didn't realise you were going!

I got pulled in 3 times for being too loud :evil: I never really got chance to open it up, because every time I did, they pulled me in...

Like you say, it sounds nice, but if I'm getting pulled in at Blyton, then there's no hope at other tracks! Suffice to say the R1 is sold and my exhaust options are open again.

The other thing I realised is that the turbo lag is too much for Blyton (mainly because I couldn't use 2nd gear for fear of making too much noise). I'm considering options....

Ben, if you drove through what I drove through on the way home then I feel for you :lol: At least you wouldn't have had to worry about the full speed wipers not clearing the windscreen though :whistle:
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ha, yeah it wasn't a lot of fun! I got a bit of a shower on the A1 but the sun came out and I was dry most of the way. Until I came off the M40 into Oxford that is, when there was torrential rain, standing water everywhere, just horrible. Could hardly see a thing! :pale:

And then to top it all off, I got slightly lost going round Oxford and ended up going straight through Cowley, much of which was under 3-4 inches of water. I got some pretty funny looks from the studenty types, I can tell you :lol:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
Nearly Red

Post by Nearly Red »

It was a fun day, the rain made it a little interesting. On a dry track it made me realise that I need more power and a smidge more talent.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Ben wrote:Ha, yeah it wasn't a lot of fun! I got a bit of a shower on the A1 but the sun came out and I was dry most of the way. Until I came off the M40 into Oxford that is, when there was torrential rain, standing water everywhere, just horrible. Could hardly see a thing! :pale:

And then to top it all off, I got slightly lost going round Oxford and ended up going straight through Cowley, much of which was under 3-4 inches of water. I got some pretty funny looks from the studenty types, I can tell you :lol:

Certainly looks like you picked the wrong week to buy an open top car (said in an Airplane! style....)
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Nearly Red wrote:It was a fun day, the rain made it a little interesting. On a dry track it made me realise that I need more power and a smidge more talent.

Similar for me, except I think I need less power and more talent, and a quieter exhaust...
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Ben

Post by Ben »

Few pics up from the photographer here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 005&type=1

Previous:

Return to “Past Events”