Toyota Only Trackday - Blyton park - Saturday 19th July

Reports and Feedback from MR2 related events

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ben

Re: Toyota Only Trackday - Blyton park - Saturday 19th July

Post by Ben »

JD wrote:Okay doesn't look like Demon Tweeks can get me my new tyres after all ("yes it should be about a week, sir" A week ago and nothing since) so Blyton will be the end of my T1-Rs.

And what a way to go :D :lol:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

JD wrote:Okay doesn't look like Demon Tweeks can get me my new tyres after all ("yes it should be about a week, sir" A week ago and nothing since) so Blyton will be the end of my T1-Rs.

That's going to be entertaining :)
JD

Post by JD »

pistol pete wrote:Place we going tomorrow do all my tyres andreally do me a good good deal so we can ask tomorrow

excellent :)
michaeljapp

Post by michaeljapp »

Has anyone had any details sent though with booking forms ( disclaimers etc ) yet?

Normally they get sent through before the event, don't know if it is just me missing out.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

michaeljapp wrote:Has anyone had any details sent though with booking forms ( disclaimers etc ) yet?

Normally they get sent through before the event, don't know if it is just me missing out.

I got the confirmation email off Javelin when I booked it - what were you expecting ?
Ben

Post by Ben »

michaeljapp wrote:Has anyone had any details sent though with booking forms ( disclaimers etc ) yet?

With Javelin stuff you usually get the full confirmation email, event details etc through a few days before the event, I imagine they'll go out mid next week, Your name's on the site list so I wouldn't worry too much :thumleft:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
michaeljapp

Post by michaeljapp »

Received the details last night, someone must be looking after me...!

Thank you
JD

Post by JD »

Looks like it'll be raining all day Saturday :-k
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Stop looking
Ya can't change it ;)
I work off it is what it is when I wake up

I'm still saying it's gonna be sunny
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

JD wrote:Looks like it'll be raining all day Saturday :-k

Suddenly I quite fancy a Yaris :)
JD

Post by JD »

pistol pete wrote:Stop looking
Ya can't change it ;)
I work off it is what it is when I wake up

I'm still saying it's gonna be sunny

:pray:

My new tyres arrived and now fitted (to my heavy, heavy SA3Rs)!

I need to get Cardhore James to refurb my lovely light SSRs at some point so I can swap again and use the lighter wheels for track and the heavy ones for road.

Gav, a 2GR Yaris would be handful I'd imagine :-k :)
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

JD wrote:
Gav, a 2GR Yaris would be handful I'd imagine :-k :)

I was just thinking a zingy lightweight fwd car would be more fun in the wet than the dry rather than manhandling a monster that seems to want to go backwards a lot in the wet :)

Still, will be very good for practising throttle control !
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

A polite notice from Mr Ben HQ:

Unfortunately he can't make the convoy up, as he's had to make a "detour" to collect something... He will however make up for this by wearing a very pretty dress for the whole of the trackday tomorrow.

The last part of this may or may not be true.. O:)

Mule HQ
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

If you know Ben.. Then you know it to be true
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

I caught a grey rev2 turbo at the first M1 services after the M25 - but had to stop for the loo so lost him.
The M1 was stop, 40mph for a couple of miles, stop again, repeat all the way till the M6 junction at rugby.
Stopped at the A43 services expecting an mr2 possie - nothing to be seen.
Finally managed to get my toe down after lutterworth but didn't see a single MR2.
6 hours - hope the trip back is a bit better...

Looks like scunthorpe is a town of lowered hot hatches right up yer chuff with badly aligned HIDs.
JD

Post by JD »

Due to unforeseen problems that involved breaking down in the middle of the A21 and having abuse hurled at me for an hour while I waited for the nice AA man to come, I have decided that finally having sorted the problem at 11pm, I don't fancy doing a 4 hour drive that ends at 3am, so will either get up at 5am and drive up then, or just spend tomorrow doing my tax return early and playing forza :(

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Best of luck JD...hope we see you....
JD

Post by JD »

cheers gav, I decided not to in the end. too much driving in one day on no sleep just didn't seem like a good idea. hope everyone has an excellent day :-)
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

The last hour of the day was the best
Got a chance to really hammer it round in the completly dry track for first time

Really good day

So what was wrong jd?
JD

Post by JD »

Wheel fell off, sheared my nuts.

I realised that because my SSRs were so light that I got away with running the shitty universal spacers on there without issue, but after several miles with the heavy SA3Rs I started getting a squeaking, which sounded like front-nearside tyre rubbing on strut but was in fact the rear nearside working itself loose. i stopped a couple of times to have a look, let some air of the new tyres as they were over-filled and assess the situation but when stationary I couldn't figure it out - then suddenly they let go pretty quickly (fortunately when on the way back home) and 4 out of 5 nuts threads were stripped and only recovered two of them. I'm an idiot - noone should ever run those universal spacers - never. I've got rid of them and didn't even need them - just push the track a little wider so kept them for geo reasons - not wanting to change the set up. It turns out the extra weight made a huge difference and I'm not sure those wheels were balanced correctly. Long term plan is to put the posh tyres on the SSRs when they're tidied up but until then I've got hold of some correct fitment spigot rings and hubcentric spacers to try fitting wheels properly and not make the same stupid, stupid mistake again. After I'd been recovered, found some spare wheel nuts to replace those I'd lost, checked brakes and suspension for damage, and changed all the wheels again in the dark it was just too late. I went to bed thinking I'd get up at 5 but when I woke up I'd only managed abotu 2 hours sleep and felt rubbish so I thought it best not to do all that driving today and went back to bed. Live and learn. I know the finger has been wagged many times here there and everywhere about xxxx spacers but let me be an example - fortunately was only doing thirty and not being tailgated otherwise could have been so much worse.

My chagrin is only matched by my disappointment. Also, my local Halfords is actually quite a big one, and they don't stock wheel nuts. Fortunately I had most of an old lightweight set in the garage so they'll do for now.

:(

I hope everyone had a good day - l look forward to pics and vids.

Return to “Past Events”