[Mk2] [NA] Terraclean- any good ?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markyj1969

[Mk2] [NA] Terraclean- any good ?

Post by markyj1969 »

After cleaning up and detailing my engine bay I've seen my local garage has just started this Terraclean service, i think basically it cleans the internals getting rid of any deposits and apparently increasing performance, mpg and reducing emissions , has anyone had this done and is it any good?, are there any issues using this on my 2 which has 127,000 miles on her and is 18 years old. I think I remember seeing Edd China doing this on an old wheeler dealers episode I think, let me know your thoughts and opinions
aussieGT

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Terraclean- any good ?

Post by aussieGT »

Dunno if they are urban legends but i'm sure i have heard that this can 'loosen up' all the hard stuck on internal deposits - some of which were actually holding old engines together.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Lots of mixed views on engine internal cleaners.

Some say if its never had it from new, then dont start as it will remove the crud that might currently be stopping oil leaks.

My 1994 M rev 3 turbo has been having engine flush on every service for at least the last 10 years. Boroscope will show it is very clean inside. It has always used oil. This car has done over 333,333 km and the engine is very smooth so the use of engine flush cant be all that bad!

In comparison my 1994 L rev 3 turbo is low mileage and internally does not look anywhere near as clean as the high mileage engine (and it is not as quiet as the high mileage engine). I guess this car has not had engine flush.

Both cars have the same mpg. (11 km/ltr average on a full tank)

Modern fuel also claims to keep engines cleaner so must have something in it to do that?

I am not a mechanic, but that is my experience of engine flush directly related to 1994 MR2 turbos.
markyj1969

Post by markyj1969 »

Hmm I'm airing on the side of maybe not bothering then, my 2 is running pretty well at the moment and I don't wanna spend money if it's potentially going to give me some problems
RST

Post by RST »

If it's the same kit as they used on the green Jag then I wonder exactly how much they were sponsored to show that kit. When it was brought up years ago it seemed a bit like snake oil. I've never seen the kit in the flesh -come to think of it never heard anyone talk about it in years. Nothing wrong with a shot of injector cleaner every 6 months and stay clear of cheapo fuel though, better preventative then remedial.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Funny enough there was a card on the board in my local tyre place advertising that a garage close by has got the terraclean kit.

Return to “Mechanical”