Georgie - Rev 3 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

Georgie - Rev 3 Turbo

Post by Draven »

Hi All

As most of you know i've been a member on IMOC for a number of years. I've never created a Profile thingy. So I thought as I was currently doing lots of work on my car I'd create one.

Just before Xmas I was pootling along it was about 1 week before I normally wrap my car up for the winter. There was a loud popping noise followed by huge plumes of white smoke / steam Luckily I was just pulling into my road so I switched the engine off and coasted onto my drive way. :shock: Jumped out to see my car dumping the entire contents of the coolant system out all over my drive way. I was living in a flat with no garage or anywhere to do major work. :shock: I was a little upset to say the least. I wrapped her up and stuck a cover on her went and bought a little starlet.

I have now since moved and have a garage which I'm slowly fitting out with a workbench and tools.

Heres how it started out.

I've done quite a lot of painting etc but no real major work. Initially I decided that I would remove the turbo and check it was all ok and once i'd got that and the manifold out of the way I could check the hose from hell.

A few hours later

Turbo removed. Upon removing the oil cooler I was presented with this.

I've had the car a little over 2 years and within the first year of ownership i flushed the coolant. The hose from hell under the water pump had split due to pressure caused by this blockage. I'm guessing this is a long term thing meaning the coolant hasn't been changed for a long time. This then got me thinking about the cambelt / water pump and lots of other bits. I started to try to remove the cambelt with engine in. But no matter what I couldn't get this damn bracket out.

So after much thought I decided I was going to do this properly and remove the engine..

After fashioning my own engine creeper (out a bit of worktop and 4 castors)

So a few hours later. (after borrowing a crane and my best mate helping)

From what I can tell this engine has never been removed. On closer inspection I noted that the cam's seem out

if you look at the left cam the little red line is to the left of the S. The car has never ran quite right always slightly missed. So i'll be looking at that when I get the cambelt off

Now the big strip down begins. It is really really dirty.

But slowly i'm getting there.

Gunk is really good stuff.

Certain things simply fell apart in my hand.

Several of the coolant hoses split as soon as I tried to remove them. :shock:

Lots of work to do. I removed the rear ARB and the bushes just completely fell apart as soon as I undid them. Did someone say Polybushes. :thumleft:

So the aim of the game here is to clean the engine, paint and change hoses / cambelt / water pump and all rusted bolts. Thoroughly flush all parts of the coolant system. Replace ARB bushes and all other bushes with Polybushes.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Georgie - Rev 3 Turbo

Post by Ryan S »

good work man, i'll be keeping an eye on this, always nice to see somebody grabbing the bull by the horns :thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

sheppy wrote:good work man, i'll be keeping an eye on this, always nice to see somebody grabbing the bull by the horns :thumleft:

Its quite scary. Especially with the amount of nuts that are completely corroded.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Draven wrote:
sheppy wrote:good work man, i'll be keeping an eye on this, always nice to see somebody grabbing the bull by the horns :thumleft:

Its quite scary. Especially with the amount of nuts that are completely corroded.

haha. yeah the cars are getting on a bit now, my first car was 28 years old when i bought it (was a 1972 MG Midget), it worries me that in a few years time, Mr2s will be that age :shock:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Just bought a Irwin bolt grip set. I've heard lots of amazing reviews about it so thought for £19 i'd give it a go. Hopefully it will undo the 2 bolts that I just can't get undone due to either being completely rounded or simply rusted b

Will report back.
craig

Post by craig »

Glad you finally got a build thread up fella. Tuned in. :thumleft:
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

Irwin's will rip the sods out easy
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
Krish

Post by Krish »

Good work going on here mate. I'll have to try and catch up with you when the conversion is done. Your only 10 minutes away. It would be wrong not to pop in.

Glad you sorted an engine crane :thumleft:

Rusted bolts are a bit of a nightmare. My silver shadow came apart nice and easy but I'm guessing with the engine swap only done recently, all the problem bolts were dealt with by Luke.

My donor car however has rusted bolts everywhere. I've spent a long time removing rusted bolts without snapping them and then even longer drilling out snapped bolts.

Still, working on these cars gives a lot of satisfaction :mrgreen:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Its great fun. I have found that I didn't have certain tools a real pain and have had to spend more but the advantage is that i'll have these tools for all the car messing about i'll be doing in the future. :thumleft:

Yeah pop over mate. I'll be doing work over the weekend after the MK meet. :thumleft:
Krish

Post by Krish »

Will do mate, would have loved to come to the meet with the car ready but not going to happen. Maybe next time.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Krish wrote:Will do mate, would have loved to come to the meet with the car ready but not going to happen. Maybe next time.

Yeah I'm with you on that. I'll be going in my little starlet as it is going to be quite a while before my 2 is back on the road. :neutral:

Little bits keep getting delivered. Love opening car bits. :mrgreen:
philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

A lot of graft going on with the tubby, I will be watching the progress of this :thumleft:

Keep up the good work
Draven

Post by Draven »

Right box of stuff arrived from TCB as well as some wirebrushes

cooler neck and lower cambelt cover from Sam.
Arb bushes from Trickster. :thumleft: thanks guys.

So this weekend stuff will be happening. On the list

1. Clean engine bay out check for rust and mark areas to be painted.
2. stick the garden hose in one side of the coolant system that is left in the car and flush all of the remaining coolant out.
3. Rub down standard rear ARB ready for painting.
4. grind off bolts from rear arb brackets and get a bolt and nut to fit in stainless.
5. rub down rear subframe ready for painting.
6. paint heat shields.
7. paint rocker cover.
8. paint intake.
9. mark up and remove old cambelt
10. replace idlers, cambelt, waterpump and tensioner.
11. get someone else to check timing marks
12. fit new gaskets to rocker cover.

.. If i manage all that i'll be happy.

:thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Cross threaded bolt in the manifold...

Cross threaded waterpump..

I give up..
Draven

Post by Draven »

I'm going to need to get it sorted..
Draven

Post by Draven »

Progress has pretty much halted due to waiting for more parts to arrive. :roll: and several items causing me issues.

The exhaust appears to have completely welded itself together. My attempts to grind the bolts down hasn't released them. Next i'm going to have to cut the bottom of the bolt of and possibly drill it out. But I think I'll take it to my metal fabby mate to have a look at it. :thumleft:

Possible leak?

So this lot arrived

So started swapping

Nice shiney Toyota Parts.

I've had a really wierd thing happen to the roof of the car the paint has gone white and patchy iv'e never seen that happen before. Its obious that it will need to be resprayed.

Lots of cleaning and spraying going on in my spraybooth..

Yup seemed like a good idea to stop spray going everywhere. Works quite well.

Just waiting on a big list of Toyota parts to arrive then it will be onto the next stage. :thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

On another note. I've replaced the waterpump. Who ever replaced it before used a LOT of sealant all around it. Took me ages to seperate it from the housing.

My question is. I've bought a toyota waterpump and all associated gaskets do i need to put sealant all around it?

I would have thought it shouldn't leak. I've cleaned all the surfaces up and checked everything. I've even bought new bolts. :thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

A little more progress took the exhaust to my metal bending mate to try and see if we could seperate it the gasket had completely disappeared i'm 100 that it was blowing. The bolt and nut had completely corroded and became one piece was a bit of a nightmare but he got it apart..

Then I set about cleaning it up ..

Its a bit of a state

But i'm getting there.

Draven

Post by Draven »

Engine going back together.

Oil cooler and 2 new hose from hells and exhaust gasket from Toyota

Manifold and turbo back on and tighened up.

just a question what are correct torque settings for the idlers on the cambelt. ?? i've put it back in but haven't pulled the grenade pin yet.
craig

Post by craig »

Nice work fella, certainly getting stuck in! :clap:

Return to “Member Profiles”