Georgie - Rev 3 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

Re: Georgie - Rev 3 Turbo

Post by Draven »

RedMR² wrote:Nice work fella, certainly getting stuck in! :clap:

Yeah I'm giving it a go. Its been very frustrating so far but hopefully going to have engine back in and started up by the end of the month. :thumleft: at least that is the goal.
Draven

Post by Draven »

More bits arrived from Toyota..

I can't quite believe how slow they are getting parts. Had to wait 5 days for a couple of bolts.

:? really slowing progress
Draven

Post by Draven »

Well managed to completely strip the thread on one of the starter motor bolts. Honestly I don't know how I've managed to do it so many times. I'm ever so delicate with it as well.

So decided to remove my gearbox and get a machine shop to drill out and fit a helicoil. They can resurface the flywheel and i'll buy a new clutch at the same time

After bending a flat head screw driver I managed to get the gearbox off.

Oh my it is heavy..

I'm guessing this is supposed to be a full thingy? any ideas where I can get a new one? I've checked on the EPC but cannot see it

I have no idea what it is called its the rubber protector on the gear selector?
Draven

Post by Draven »

After very slow progress engine is looking quite good..

I've not sprayed the butterfly part of the intake due to it being complicated. I wanted to get it all back together and back in the car. I can do that later on.

:thumleft:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

That looks really good, did you powder coat the rocker cover?
No 2 :(
Draven

Post by Draven »

MR2 Rich wrote:That looks really good, did you powder coat the rocker cover?

No i sprayed it. Used rustoleum spray paint it gives a brilliant colour and coverage.

Draven

Post by Draven »

Starter mount on gearbox successfully rethreaded. Just waiting on the clutch now.

Oh my very nearly done. Once the clutch is installed which will be beginning of the month engine will be going back in the car.

Very excited as it's been 6 months. things left to do

Respray Rear arb.
4 new disks and pads.
run all coolant hoses.
refit engine.
fill with fluids..

Start her up.

Draven

Post by Draven »

Long delay caused by running out of funds.

I've recieved a new Exedy Clutch today along with assorted other goodies. :thumleft:

Ordered a shift bearing kit from Pete@sbits

Engine going back in this weekend. Whoop whoop. Will get some decent pictures of the reinstall..
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Excellent work there David, nice to see it coming along. Have you done anything with the coilovers yet? I bet you can't wait to get back on the road with it, I'm seriously missing driving an MR2. My engine is still on its cradle untouched in 6 months, and the mk1 has sat since it spat it's oil out in Feb.

You must have spent some money there with all the Toyota parts, have you kept the part numbers for all the bits you have bought. I would be interested in a list if you have them
Draven

Post by Draven »

Coilovers are fitted mate. I've ordered some coilover covers to protect them.. I spent my downtime getting them cleaned up and fitted while waiting for the Toyota bits.. I don't have a list of all the parts as such I have a big list of part numbers but obiously they wouldn't make much sense.

For me getting her fired up is the next task. Once i'm happy she's running perfectly then i'll be doing a full prothane bush kit then getting her hunter aligned. Then back on the road.

Its been a long journey but hopefully after this she'll be running really well for a few years. :thumleft:

I've spent a lot of time working on her in my garage doing pretty much everything myself but i'm really nervous about putting the engine back in.. I'll be gutted if something doesn't work.

:eye:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Well engine is back in and i've starting wiring up. Sadly I didn't take any pictures due to camera issues. Just need drive shafts back in and filling with fluids as well as sorting out a few last bits and bobs that need doing.

:mrgreen:

So excited. :clown:
Draven

Post by Draven »

From this

To This

Then To this..

Looks much better in the flesh I think. Lots more to do but at least the engine is back in. :thumleft: I'm really happy with how the lighter and darker blues go as well as the silver. It hasn't been all visual car has had

All new toyota parts

Water Pump
Cambelt
Idlers
Gasgets (don't think i reused one)
Exedy Clutch
Clutch release baring
Bolts, nuts, washers
Turbo checked for play and given a good clean
Samco Intake (to replace the split original)
Samco Coolant pipes / ancilliary kit
Fuel Filter
Oil Filter

Coolant system has been completely flushed through making sure it is clean as a clean thing on wash day. All hoses were inspected and replaced if showing any kind of wear. Still a few hoses on the list.

Plenty more to do but happy with progress
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Catch can really makes it look the best ;) haha

Nice work mate

Graeme
Draven

Post by Draven »

:thumleft: Yup it does at that little bit of extra class.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Removed aircon..

So much mess it completely fell apart when I removed it.
Draven

Post by Draven »

She's alive running.. some issues though

IC & Rad fans come on constantly (pretty sure IC fan is related to broken engine temp sensor)

Ticks over at start at just under 1000 rpm as she warms up drops down to around 900 then sort of 850 and a bit lumpy. But much better than before engine was removed.

Metally fast ticking noise on tickover. Worried a bit on this one but if you blip the trottle then the noise goes away. So i'm 80% this is a loose heat shield or similar sounds like it is in the exhaust area..
Draven

Post by Draven »

I've turned all lights on and heaters etc.. Seems like the engine isn't increasing rev's to compensate this
Draven

Post by Draven »

Well mean while still waiting for my Timing light i've decided to move on to some things that had been bugging me.

I've got a set of speed hut gauges which I feel don't suit the look i'm going for so decided to remove them

:pale: I have to admit this was my previous poor excuse for a form of wiring. You'll be happy to know that i've now removed the horrendous scotch blocks. I've instead wired the EMS boost gauge to a set of connectors so they can be easily removed. This is much tidier. Will get some pictures of this up later.

removed these Speed huts that light up red they look really good and give a nice even colour. Will possibly be forsale depending on how my attempt at customising the standard gauges goes.

I've also purchased this Personal Steering wheel. I prefer its classic looks over the Sparco wheel I currently have however didn't realise until i'd already purchased that the Momo Boss I've got is a different PCD.

So I've either got to get an adapter or a new boss.
](*,)

Also cut and tidied the cable for the IC temp sensor in the engine bay after getting a replacement plug (the old one was broken during engine removal)

So now the only fan that runs contantly is the Radiator fan. I believe this is due to me purchasing the incorrect Temp Sensor seems i've purchase a no aircon one which is actually just a switch not a sensor which puts the system in emergency mode so it runs the fan all the time.

Return to “Member Profiles”