Apex spring owners

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GHOST

Apex spring owners

Post by GHOST »

Ok, my new Apex 30mm drop springs are knocking on the rear. Just had it up on the garages lift and the top of the spring can be pulled and pushed a few mm where it sits in the top mount, thus causing this shifting/knocking noise over mild bumps.

Has anyone else had this problem? The mechanic, who owns his an garage says I maybe need top mounts suitable for the springs but these springs are actually designed For the mk2 and I got them from Ben MR2 so a reputable seller.

Another thing I noticed where that the spring s were sitting directly under the top mount with nothing between them where as the front ones (albeit different) have rubber rings round the top of them.

Any advice greatly appreciated because the knocking is really pi$$ing me off!
mrturbotom

Re: Apex spring owners

Post by mrturbotom »

The rear top mount is rubberised.
Something not right, sounds like the spacer maybe missing or something under the nut
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

So between the rear spring and the topmounts there should be some rubber?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

GHOST wrote:So between the spring and the toomounts there should be some rubber?

There is no separate rubber piece (like the front).

However, there should be a spacer under the topmount nut.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Id probably say either that spacer (as mentioned) is missing making a bigger gap or the top mount is not locked in properly onto the strut.. It can only lock in one way to the strut as the top of the strut (below threads) has 2 straight edges then 2 curved edges.
If its not any of those 2 ive no idea so best to get the strut and top mount off. Hope that helps :thumleft:
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Cheers guys. On the image (cheers Nic, was looking for that on Google and couldn't find it) which is the aforementioned spacer?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”