Long over-due build thread!!

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

greasemonkey688

Update

Post by greasemonkey688 »

I'm pretty happy with it, obviously any imperfections in the underlying paint show up in the finish, but it looks good and a lot cheaper than a full respray :thumleft:

The rear bumper has been wrapped but some contours missed out as there is going to be gold on the bumper aswell

And here I fitted the passenger t-bar seal the overall look with the roof is good

killerferret666

Re: Update

Post by killerferret666 »

[quote="greasemonkey688"]I'm pretty happy with it, obviously any imperfections in the underlying paint show up in the finish, but it looks good and a lot cheaper than a full respray :thumleft:
[\quote]

Bumps will obviously show, but do all minor scratches show? Or is it only larger marks. I'll get a professional to look over the bodywork but just want an idea of how perfect it needs to be!
My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
Libertine

Re: Long over-due build thread!!

Post by Libertine »

seats look like their mint condition - re-covered?
greasemonkey688

Stone chips do show through but if the scratches are only from say washing with a dirty sponge and just in the surface it should hide them. You can always paint and really bad panels yourself first as long as it's a gloss finish the vinyl will stick ok

Alright mate these seats are originals, not re-covered but my originals were torn at the usual bolster area so I bought these ones from a member near me, there in amazing condition :)
greasemonkey688

Update

As I'm still waiting on my front bumper coming back from being painted I thought I'd spend a few hours freeing off my cusco coil-overs as they will need set-up again as I want a lower ride height and full geometry adjust

I only had time to free off the fronts but I'll get the rears when I put the engine in, but I found the reason for the loose steering I noticed when I drove the car out of my garage

Both track rod ends are the same so I'll need new ones when I purchase new pads and discs lol
greasemonkey688

Update

Saturday night was spent cleaning the engine bay and heat wrapping the cabin fire wall insulation card

In this first pic you can see the two Dunlop thick-walled hoses I ran above the tank to replace the rotten coolant hoses in a previous build

Also painted the heat shields

And fitted them and the engine

Couldn't resist putting the rocker cover in place to see how it would look :lol:

l1ca

Post by l1ca »

This is looking great!

Glad the rear bumper is serving you well, ill be keeping tabs on this!
greasemonkey688

Bumper

Cheers buddy, the rear bumper is great, thanks again, but having issues with the front bumper it's being painted by a different guy who was recommended to me but has gone AWOL and hasnt answered his phone for two weeks. But I got his address and payed him a little visit tonight after work :twisted: and he assures me he will drop it off tomorrow afternoon so I'll have to wait and see
greasemonkey688

Update

Tonight I fitted new front pads, discs, brake lines and track rod ends

greasemonkey688

Update

Been really busy lately but over the past week I've fitted the rear discs, pads, brake lines, cleaned up the rear coil-overs and fitted new rear drop links

I've also started making my inlet manifold

And cut and welded the scoop for the intercooler

Fitted the other new t-bar seal and skirt and bumpers

greasemonkey688

Question

Fitted the rear bootlid and spoiler today,

We have a bit of a difference of opinion between me and Josef, I think the rear spoiler pods should be blue to keep the satin black bubble just on the roof, like this

And Josef thinks the should be satin black to keep the line through the centre of the car, like this

This isn't the actual satin black colour just the under paint for the vinyl to stick to but gives an idea of what the look will be, any ideas?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

When you completed your plenum chamber design what volume do you go for?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
greasemonkey688

Plenum

I've gone for about 2 litres but as I shaped the taper by hand I might be off a bit
greasemonkey688

Update

Work is crazy the now with big focus Rs projects so not had time to post but I've made some progress

First off the front bumper came back from the painter, but it turns out he hadn't used primer ](*,) so the vinyl just peeled the paint off

So I sent it to another painter who sanded it down and found the previous so called "painter" had damaged the bumper and tried to repair the cracks aswell

So as I waited for the bumper to be repaired and painted properly, I fitted my rear lights and centre panel and extended the rear light harness so it runs through the c-pillar, fitted the door cards, seals and handles

I also set about the task of making up my own engine harness

I also made up a coolant filler neck tower by cutting and welding on the tower from a gto to the mr2 one to do away with the expansion tank and pipes

And I've made some progress with my inlet manifold due to getting the right angle I'm now having to use an old manifold cut off instead of the laser cut plate I have, I also need a t-vis plate welded and ported but the two didn't match and had a nasty step so I matched it and polished for good flow into the head

I welded the inside of the runner to plenum joints for strength then radius end and polished for good flow

The old manifold runners were smaller in diameter and so would create a bad flow when the air hit them if welded on, I had some off cuts from my double barrel runners so I used them as joining pieces and ported them to match and knife edged for good flow and a slight Venturi effect aswell

Here is the bumper painted properly

greasemonkey688

Update

Been a while since I posted but I've got the front end together and some of the decals on the side, lowered the suspension a bit aswell

greasemonkey688

Update

Manifold is finished and intercooler bolted in, just water meth and exhaust to go. Also found that these audi coils fit snugly in the spark plug holes

greasemonkey688

Update

Today I fabricated my exhaust, which is going to be extremely loud lol, and wired in the coil on plugs, finished off the boost pipes and most of the wiring

greasemonkey688

update

its been a while since my last update as my no 4 standard piston ring land failed on the dyno #-o

so I fitted a set of wiseco 86mm pistons and pec rods also I bought this

this gt3076 hks looks much bigger than the gt2860rs lol :twisted:

heres some pics after the refit

and finished the bodywork

back on the dyno the exhaust and screamer are silly loud lol

heres a couple of videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_JQHO ... DT8j7a3p3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhZQU ... DT8j7a3p3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHjVyIo ... DT8j7a3p3w

heres some graphs

so just now its only running wastegate spring pressure at 1.3 bar and making 400hp at the fly (dyno figures are whp) still got watermeth to fit and up the boost, then wire in launch control
Last edited by greasemonkey688 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
nitrodave

Post by nitrodave »

great build :) I really like what you've done so far

Out of interest, with a boot mount intercooler, i see it pulls air from under the car, but where does it vent out from?

also - i cant view the videos you posted just now, it says they're private
greasemonkey688

videos

hey buddy thanks for the comments,ive made the videos public as I posted them as private lol

im going to be fitting a rear facing Subaru vent in the boot lid, but for now the air just vents out the standard boot vents behind the bumper but it isn't enough

rick

Return to “Project Cars”