My potential money pit! new car... Beams turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

samgpr50

My potential money pit! new car... Beams turbo

Post by samgpr50 »

So I thought I would put up a build thread since I want to keep track of my car.

Basically I bought the car in October and have had so many issues with it since buying it. Before I got to drive the car I had to replace the wheel bearing and wheels. Then the ignition got replaced as it developed a miss fire on boost.

Next it was time for a different boost controller. I went for a gfb but that broke two times!! So I now have an Apexi avc-r in there.

I have had to replace the top mount on the front and have fitted poly bushes. It has also had new drop links all around.

Then driving up to my girlfriend the sump let go! Lucky for me I had parked before it dropped all my oil and thanks to Peter I found a replacement and was back in the game.

I seem to be building the car out of free parts at the moment. So far I have has a ssqv, a set of te37s and am picking up a new spoiler this week. All these have been for working on other members cars.

So now for the fun bit the pics.

The day I got her

New wheels stolen off my brothers car

Collecting my Gfb from mecca

First proper wash

Apexi fitted

And my new wheels. The car was washed just before the picture was taken however it had rained all the way there so it was filthy.

Thanks for reading and when I get round to cleaning the bay some more I will get some photos up of that. :mrgreen:

Sam
Last edited by samgpr50 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Draven

Re: My potential money pit! new car... Beams turbo

Post by Draven »

Looking good :) will keep an eye on this.
samgpr50

Post by samgpr50 »

So in keeping with the theme of my car breaking all the time and trying to fix it with little or no money (without bodging, I can't stress this enough). I picked up a set of black bilsteins and tein springs last night and a new spoiler. I will hopefully get to fitting the springs and shocks later and my spoiler is already on.
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

Looking good dude! i will keep an eye on this :)
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

looking good.. are you planning on embracing the purple colour scheme or maybe changing the colour of the wheels?

seems you've got a spot of rust on the back end of the passenger sill - have you got any bodywork plans?
samgpr50

Post by samgpr50 »

Yes thinking about following a blue/ purple scheme to match the wheels. Both sills have rust but not got a plan so far as I'm useless with bodywork.

Sam
samgpr50

Post by samgpr50 »

So a small update. Last night I picked up a set of shocks and springs for the car. They were quite cheap and the only thing wrong seemed to be the top mounts. Well since I have new ones on the car I changed them over. The rears I'm trying to work out if I need to bother as they look to be in better condition than mine. Also got a rear spoiler in black and almost perfect condition for £10!! So here is a pic of the shocks and the front fitted. Rain made me stop for the day but I will finish up tomorrow then give it a good wash.

Sam
Last edited by samgpr50 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

samgpr50 wrote:Yes thinking about following a blue/ purple scheme to match the wheels. Both sills have rust but not got a plan so far as I'm useless with bodywork.

Sam

ok cool, should look good..

maybe worth getting the sills sorted before it gets too bad, you know how much mr2's rot back there...
Draven

Post by Draven »

They look like tein springs.. bet they are hard.. :shock:
samgpr50

Post by samgpr50 »

Yeah I will get to it as soon as I can Rob.

And they are indeed Tein springs! I have only driven it about 2 miles since changing but I swear I ran over a kerb.... Oh wait no it was a stick :shock:

Sam
samgpr50

Post by samgpr50 »

So spent the morning at the locak self service garage (looked like it would rain). Got the rears all done and the fronts sorted. Still got a knock but I know it can't be suspension related now as everything has been changed. Will look at the rack next to see if it's a rack end or rack bush.

Sam
samgpr50

Post by samgpr50 »

So a quick update. I have had the drivers side sill replaced. For the price I don't think it is possible to get a better job done. But I am happy to accept peoples opinions..... Remember it cost me £150 and took 14hours! Also have just done a deal for coilovers and my suspension is up for grabs. Shameless plug! :mrgreen:

They need blowing over again due to the red bit and the bit I poked my finger in.

Also I finally got around to machine polishing it for the first time today and I am finally happy with the paint work. Looks like a keeper now!

Windows are dirty still.

And my living room has turned into MR2 central.

Edit: spell check and pics
samgpr50

Post by samgpr50 »

This thread might be about to get much more interesting.....

Lets just say I picked this up last night! :whistle:

Keljon

Post by Keljon »

whats the plan with the new shell?
samgpr50

Post by samgpr50 »

Making it into a rolling chassis. Drop the engine. Then build it back up. Going to be a long mission but hopefully worth it.
Keljon

Post by Keljon »

so why the change from the black shell or did you just want to do it properly? tintop or t-bar?
samgpr50

Post by samgpr50 »

It's a tin top and basically because the shell is better than mine and far too nice to scrap.
Keljon

Post by Keljon »

ideal base for big power build
samgpr50

Post by samgpr50 »

That's potentially the plan. I can use mine up until I swap the last bits over then I won't be without a car also.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Those wheels, man they look great!

What wheels were currently on it when you picked her up and do you still have them?

Return to “Member Profiles”