[Mk2] [Turbo] Rear Cam Setup - Switch?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DAN_REV1_TURBO

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rear Cam Setup - Switch?

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

When my car comes back from Sbits I have a little job to do. Basically I have a rear camera affixed near my rear numberplate, and the wiring runs through to a CD/DVD double din headunit.

The problem I have, is that as soon as I plug the camera wiring into the headunit (the way I WANT it not as per instructions), it overides EVERYTHING and all you can do is see the rear view on screen. You therefore cannot see the controls for or operate the CD player whilst camera is plugged in.

I know the usual setup is to connect up so that when you put the vehicle in reverse this powers the reverse lights/cam on and you see the picture behind you (as per headunit instructions lol) - I do not want this hence my problem. I want everything connected up at the same time, so I can operate camera without being in reverse to power it up, therefore I figure I need a switch between the wiring from the cam to the headunit.

That way, I will be able to drive whilst switching to camera whenever I want to view vehicles behind me.

Does anybody know of a subtle looking switch that would be suitable for the job? Something that looks stock and suggestions where to mount. Cheers.
Last edited by DAN_REV1_TURBO on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rear Cam Setup - Switch?

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

I`m also thinking of buying something to record with, mount the recording device in the glovebox, therefore splice off the camera wiring so I can send a signal to that also. So that would be handy if it can all be done through the same switch if that makes sense.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BargainBitz-Roc ... r+switches

£2.12 with red led. Looks like it might do the trick and look pretty stock.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Whilst on the subject of cameras, has anyone else got any security camera setup in their two? I just started to look at other cameras, for inside the vehicle.. Got me thinking. Though mostly if the camera itself got nicked you would lose any evidence or recording.. Got me thinking of blackboxes and hooking the cameras up so if anything ever got vandalised.. Might be thinking overkill!
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

That switch looks like it would fit in the row of switches down to the right of the ignition, where the coin holder and fogs are?
On mine there's a round red light that's not connected to anything that it could replace.

My mate with the red turbo has a rear cam fitted that he's wired into his clarion satnav/trip comp he can operate with a similar switch regardless of what the unit is actually doing.
He mounted the switch at the base of the gearstick cover rather than in the dash which I suppose is handy as it's easy to find with eyes on the road.
RST

Post by RST »

Can you not fit as DPDT relay off the rear light circuit. From that switch the camera on/off. That way the camera would only be switched on when you're in reverse, doesn't matter then if it overpowers everything and switches on. If you want to flick between take a separate feed from somewhere to the relay via a switch. Might need a couple of diodes or basic set-up a DPST switch for on-off (look in Maplins).

...I know AV shouldn't be switched that way, but for a rear view camera can't see why it wouldn't work over that distance. I got myself confused now though, can't see why a camera is needed now unless you just flick on/off on a switch.

Return to “Electrical”