MR2 Turbo price now....

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craig

MR2 Turbo price now....

Post by craig »

Given that a brand new 1994 MR2 turbo, back in 1994 was around £25K, I thought I'd see what that would be in todays money using an inflation calculator.

So, drum roll please.......Image

£42,127.50

Gullzter

Re: MR2 Turbo price now....

Post by Gullzter »

:shock:

How much have you spent on yours? :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Probably spent more than that on the 5 MR2s I've had over the years since 2002! #-o:lol:
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Worth every penny 8)
craig

Post by craig »

matt-mr2 wrote:Worth every penny 8)

Amen brother. :mrgreen:
Nic

Post by Nic »

Alfa 4C and Cayman sort of money.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

If Toyota released the mr2 turbo today, I guarantee most people would be saying 'i'm not paying 40 grand for a toyota, its not powerful enough its only a 4-cyl etc etc' :eye:
craig

Post by craig »

Race Idiot wrote:If Toyota released the mr2 turbo today, I guarantee most people would be saying 'i'm not paying 40 grand for a toyota, its not powerful enough its only a 4-cyl etc etc' :eye:

Well, there's currently a Lexus available for over £300K! :lol:
mr2mk2

Post by mr2mk2 »

Just imagine if Toyota had developed the MR2, what would a £42k Turbo be like today? Having said that, as I followed a GT86 a few months ago in my Rev1 turbo which cost £750 with £160 worth of tax on it, I think I had the bigger smile on my face, especially as he couldn't pull away from me. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the GT86 is a great car but I know which I would rather spend my money on.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

mr2mk2 wrote:Just imagine if Toyota had developed the MR2, what would a £42k Turbo be like today? Having said that, as I followed a GT86 a few months ago in my Rev1 turbo which cost £750 with £160 worth of tax on it, I think I had the bigger smile on my face, especially as he couldn't pull away from me. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the GT86 is a great car but I know which I would rather spend my money on.

Meh, gt86 was a disappointment for me
synXero

Post by synXero »

If thy developed a modern mr2 turbo and it cost anywhere in sight of 40, it certainly wouldn't be 240hp :lol:
mr2mk2

Post by mr2mk2 »

No, you would want at least 350+. Maybe we could all design one and submit it to Toyota? (Only joking)
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

20 year old rev3+ turbos still give the new modern hot hatches a good run for their money and at a fraction of the price. I have not yet come across a driver of the new ford/citroen/peugeot hot hatches that cost around 19k new that will drive them quick around corners, they seem to just wait for a straight and give it some beans.

As for the GT86, I think they really need to give them more power. I have only come across a couple of GT86s so far and they havent got away from me yet.

This suggests old MR2 turbos are still good value for money even when they do need work doing on them.

It would be good for us if Toyota put the MR2 Turbo back into production with a few modern refinements at the same sort of price as these new hot hatches. It could sell well if they dont over price it.
synXero

Post by synXero »

I suspect it would be all sorts of illegal to sell now. It just doesn't have the same safety measures built in for pedestrian impact, driver safety in collision, so on so forth.
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

Let them die, rust away, let them become rarer :)
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

synXero wrote:I suspect it would be all sorts of illegal to sell now. It just doesn't have the same safety measures built in for pedestrian impact, driver safety in collision, so on so forth.

Exactly, a modern version would probably weigh about 1600kg and have a million airbags, bluetooth, ipod, backup cameras etc etc. Knowing toyota it would probably have a feck off huge battery pack for the toyota 'synergy hybrid drive' also probably no manual gearbox =;
craig

Post by craig »

Race Idiot wrote:
synXero wrote:I suspect it would be all sorts of illegal to sell now. It just doesn't have the same safety measures built in for pedestrian impact, driver safety in collision, so on so forth.

Exactly, a modern version would probably weigh about 1600kg and have a million airbags, bluetooth, ipod, backup cameras etc etc. Knowing toyota it would probably have a feck off huge battery pack for the toyota 'synergy hybrid drive' also probably no manual gearbox =;

Which is exactly what I like about the MR2 Turbo. Simplicity, not weighed down by pointless technology, and raw, kick you in the back boost. :twisted:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

As much as id like a "modern" version, i keep looking at my pic of my own tubby and i quite like it :mrgreen:

It would probably be based on looks of a Gallardo or something silly if they did make one plus all those electronic features and some auto or semi auto box as you say so i doubt it would be a mr2 as such.

Im happy with mines, just need to spend another 10k rebuilding it to as new :sick:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I just wish toyota hadnt cheaped out on the mr2 in the brakes and suspension department. Imagine how much better the car wouldve been with double wishbones allround instead of mcstruts and fixed calipers instead of stupid slider ones.

Just look at the nsxs suspension layout!
Image 8)
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

I've test driven a GT86 and a BRZ and to be honest neither felt much quicker than my NA. Perhaps on paper, but i was a bit underwhelmed. My daily drive is a Leon FR and it would show the GT86 a clean pair of heels. :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”