Bought an NA, couple of issues

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

James2593

Bought an NA, couple of issues

Post by James2593 »

I bought a Rev 3 NA a few weeks ago, treated the rust and finally got it on the road. There a couple of niggles i'd like to sort, and any advice will be appreciated.

1. Uneven idle, when warm the revs fluctuate between 700 and 1300, no misfires or other running issues. I have videod it to help, the rev upto 2k in the middle of the video was me bliping the throttle. htxxps://www.youtube .com/watch?v=jwLxf2Tiw7g&list=UUafe8fP-5MjDNT5kM3tuoEA

2. Either the door seal has gone or the window is a few MM to low. There's excessive wind noise at motorway speeds from the drivers window, it appears to be coming from the top as I can fit my finger nail in between top of the window and the seal. It's not a T-bar model.

3. I bought this: hxxp://www.ebay .co.uk/itm/261235267077?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

As I was swapping my single DIN radio from my old car, but when trying to install it, it would not fit. That pocket and the radio are too big for the hole, it overlaps the top of the removable trim just below the air vents. It happens with the radio on the top and the bottom. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get it to fit or one to buy that will fit? I presumed it would fit as single/double DIN are universal sizing.

Thanks in advance :) Please take out the spaces before the .com in the links, as I cannot post links yet.
ElvisRockVinyl

Re: Bought an NA, couple of issues

Post by ElvisRockVinyl »

Look at you idle valve mate, sounds like it dirty, I've seen this on a few honda's, make sure all you vacuum lines are hooked up too.

2, Make sure your window is closing fully, I assume your door line matches up to the rest of body when you shut it as sometimes if the door hinges are worn or not correctly adjusted then it will be to low and cause window seating problems

3. regards the space under the radio you need a din cover that is made for the mr2 as the space is just shy of a full double din space so a standard spacer filler wont fit, I do have a genuine pocket with brackets that I took out off mine when I fitted turbo gauges in my center console above the radio if you want it as Ill only chuck it out
James2593

Re: Bought an NA, couple of issues

Post by James2593 »

ElvisRockVinyl wrote:Look at you idle valve mate, sounds like it dirty, I've seen this on a few honda's, make sure all you vacuum lines are hooked up too.

I thought it'd be the ICV, i'm going to do it next week when i've got a bit more time. For the time being i've adjusted the idle screw so it idles at 1250rpm, but it's smoother.

2, Make sure your window is closing fully, I assume your door line matches up to the rest of body when you shut it as sometimes if the door hinges are worn or not correctly adjusted then it will be to low and cause window seating problems.

It appears the window is closing fully as the window is flush with the triangle rubber at the front of the door, near the mirror when all the way up. This seems like it needs more investigation as I jet washed it last night and the door cards on both sides were wet :(

3. regards the space under the radio you need a din cover that is made for the mr2 as the space is just shy of a full double din space so a standard spacer filler wont fit, I do have a genuine pocket with brackets that I took out off mine when I fitted turbo gauges in my center console above the radio if you want it as Ill only chuck it out

it's okay, I've managed to get it too fit now, using the spacer at the bottom and it overlaps the lip of the dash. I had to make cut-outs so the dash clicked back fully though. I've since ordered a pocket with cup holders as I've only realised how much I needed them! Thanks for the offer though :)

Thanks for the reply. Replies are in the quote :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”