SMG Rev 3 Turbo ANZ1792

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Re: SMG Rev 3 Turbo ANZ1792

Post by ashley »

GeorgeL wrote:
It's definitely a good move buying another oil pump. I'd personally never re-use an oil pump from another engine.

OK- I'll bite: I also wouldn't use an oil pump from another engine in a different engine. But would you re-use the pump from the same engine if it measured up ok, and showed no signs of wear?

If not- why not?
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

ashley wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:
It's definitely a good move buying another oil pump. I'd personally never re-use an oil pump from another engine.

OK- I'll bite: I also wouldn't use an oil pump from another engine in a different engine. But would you re-use the pump from the same engine if it measured up ok, and showed no signs of wear?

If not- why not?

Lol I know what you are saying Ashley... If it's not broken don't fix/change it.

However, given the condition of Rich's old engine upon pull down I would be binning that pump. He is building into a bare block so it makes sense to buy a new one that you know is spot on rather than using one that's been lying around or came off of his original engine.

That was all mate.

As for me... I'd never re-use an oil pump.

If I built another engine I'd do so with a new oil pump.

Or

If I was to ever have engine failure (god forbid) I'd rebuild with a new pump again regardless of whether it was good condition or not. I'd treat it like a brand new build.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

GeorgeL wrote:Hi Rich,

I saw your car during the week buddy. Well Tuesday afternoon to be exact.
It's Lovely car!!

Glad to see you are going down the route of just building into a block. You never know what you are buying sometimes.

Has Simon gave you a list of parts or are you just trying to sort it out on your own mate?

Hopefully catch you down there one day soon :) I'll be around quite a bit over the next few weeks while at college in Grimsby.

Cheers George, it is a good looking car just needs the engine to go in it. :mrgreen:

Simon has said to get the full gasket set, pistons, both pumps and the cambelt kit. He can then start building the engine up, send the turbo away to be inspected and send the head away to be sorted. I'm sure I will be down as much as I can just need to order all the bits so can get it started. :thumleft:
No 2 :(
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

So got my ar$e into gear and bought all the parts needed for the rebuild to start, except the pistons as I need to collect and pay for them. Recieved the cambelt kit with the 2x bearings and tensioner. Went for a Gates belt as it is as good as a Toyota one. Ordered the oil and water pumps with a gasket for each , full gasket and seal kit, also bought a new thermostat to finish off with. :mrgreen:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I had a few hours between jobs today so thought I would go get the pistons from York. :mrgreen:

Very shiny is the comment from the little lady, first thing she looked for was the receipt lol. Glad I hid it first.

Here's a pic;

They are 86mm CP's for under 500 which I think is a bargain for what they are. The Gates/Toyota cambelt kit has arrived as well. Hopefully the rest of the parts are here tomorrow from TCB. Only things I haven't bought yet are bearings and a clutch, o yeah and haven't bought any fluids yet. Don't know if Toyota coolant is a waste of money, as I'm sure it's the same as any Ethylene Glycol stuff off the shelf? I will be running it on Millers running in oil and then I have some Gulf Competition 5w-40 to go in after running in. :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Gotta love nice new shiny parts! :mrgreen:

What sort of power you aiming for with this?
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Yeah love shiny bits all nicely packaged as well :shock:

To start with just a standard CT20. For the year I have had it I can count how many times I have thought it was running perfectly on one finger! So I just want it built and running perfectly to start with. I won't be pushing it too far maybe a GT28 in time. :mrgreen:
JD

Post by JD »

MR2 Rich wrote:Don't know if Toyota coolant is a waste of money, as I'm sure it's the same as any Ethylene Glycol stuff off the shelf? have some Gulf Competition 5w-40 to go in after running in. :thumleft:

Yes, Toyota Longlife is a hideous waste of money. Any decent brand of ethylene glycol-based coolant will do just fine.

Glad it's all coming together for you :thumleft:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Cheers JD, yeah coming together now, all other parts here tomorrow so will drop them off Saturday and Simon can start the rebuild. :thumleft:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

All the bits from TCB turned up at 8 this morning just as I was leaving the house. \:D/
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
MR2 Rich wrote:CP 86mm forged pistons

So your bores have been confirmed to have no ovality and within original dimensions?

You'll also need:

Downpipe to B pipe gasket
Distributor shaft O ring
Inlet manifold to TB gasket
Injectors to cylinder head O rings
Themostat O ring

Don't forget to have the block and head mating surfaces surface ground before reaasembly.

Don't any of the gaskets/ O rings come in the full Toyota gasket/seal kit?
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Went down to do some work on the engine on Saturday. Got everything off the old engine ready for the new block. Cleaned the new block with a steam cleaner which was a messy affair.

Block all measured and well within tolerances to keep at 86mm. :wink: Next up is getting the crankshaft polished and checked, and buying the bearing after that is done. The head will be going off to be sorted out as well.

Ash the oil pump that came off my original engine was scored and of no use when we checked it yesterday :thumleft:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I have also bought a CT20 to go with the new engine off Leon on here. :mrgreen:

Hopefully the crank has gone to the machinists, fingers crossed it just needs a polish and then get on with the bottom half rebuild while the head gets fixed. The block is all nicely painted as well. :mrgreen:

Can't wait to get driving the car again, but in no hurry to get it done, my van is bloody boring compared to ANZ. :pale:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Going to start putting the bottom end back together tomorrow, as the crank has been polished. Very excited as I'm missing having the car now. :mrgreen:
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

Guessing you won't be at Malton tomorrow...
ashley

Post by ashley »

MR2 Rich wrote:Going to start putting the bottom end back together tomorrow, as the crank has been polished. Very excited as I'm missing having the car now. :mrgreen:

Good stuff! \:D/
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Bottom end completely together now, time for a cold beer. :mrgreen:

It went quite well except the two bolts on the con rod caps that broke. :@:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

MR2 Rich wrote:It went quite well except the two bolts on the con rod caps that broke. :@:

How the Hell does that happen? I've never heard of that in my life! :?
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
MR2 Rich wrote:It went quite well except the two bolts on the con rod caps that broke. :@:

How the Hell does that happen? I've never heard of that in my life! :?

Exactly what Simon said after the first head snapped! Then it happened again. They were torqued up to the right NM so must have been unbelievably unlucky which with me and cars I can believe...
ashley

Post by ashley »

Were these fresh ARP rod bolts?

Either someone needs to buy a new torque wrench, or else ARP's quality control is going out the window....never ever heard of that happening with fresh bolts before =;

Return to “Member Profiles”