[Mk2] [Turbo] MOT MONDAY!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markstevieandmads

[Mk2] [Turbo] MOT MONDAY!

Post by markstevieandmads »

OK. So MOT is booked for Monday. Its got a couple of weeks till its due but I want to get it over and done with so I know what I got to play with for the summer.
Im planning on doing the usual MOT pre-checks later myself.

However, Ive got a question to do with the "cancer" bars.
Mine are rotten so my plan was to remove them for the MOT and if it passes with minor work (if needed) then get them replaced for stainless items. The reason for this is to spend as little as possible before the MOT so if it fails big time then im not losing as much.
o my main question is, will it pass and drive ok without them? A search on google seems to think it will but though id check first.

Also anything else Id need to check apart the usual rust,lights,tyres,fluids (washers) etc. Im also gonna give it a good run before hand.
I haven't got a good enough jack to check all bushes etc but if these fail then I will get the garage to do these anyway.

Also its on rev 2 L plate so what are the rules with regards to emmisions? Im sure it has a standard cat on it but would be interested to know if it would be needed for mot`s in the future.

If it passes with little or no work then my plan is to treat it to all new belts and service (ive already done the oil), sort oil leak and just keep it standardish and run it as a fun weekend car and get myself to some events this year. Oh, and join up as a full member!
StevieL

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] MOT MONDAY!

Post by StevieL »

It'll be fine without the cancer bars mate

Good luck
markstevieandmads

Well I thought I'd have a check around today seeing the weather has stopped for just a bit.

And it will definitely fail as I can'tget the bloody cancer bars off! Tried with a breaker bar and everything and they won't budge.

And to top it all off the battery is dead even though it's been on a trickle charger for the last 2 weeks.
Good news I have a spare battery with a better amp rating charging as we speak.

its a shame as looking underneath , all the bushes and sills look ok to me.

so if it fails on that then I will need to wait for some stainless ones to turn up (or buy genuine toyota ones at double the price that wont last long) then get the garage to fit them at more costs. Damn it!
markstevieandmads

Ok it failed.
But only on offside rear suspension arm has excessive play in balljoint.

Now the problem is my garage can'tlocate the part so can anyone help?

Apparently there is only one but because it's an import they can't find any details.
my local Toyota dealership computer system is down too.

I have 10 working days for a free retest. The garage said they can fit it in an hour so just need to find the part.
markstevieandmads

Ive managed to locate front lower ball joint - would these be the same as the rear offside one I need? and are both sides the same. They look very similar from pics.
markstevieandmads

UPDATE:

Ordered proper rear balljoint kit from Camskill for quickest delivery - Just under £20

MOT Tester did state he was surprised how good condition it was considering the car is 21 years old. It received no advisories and only the failure for the balljoint. Im going to get the garage to fit even though it looks easy enough (im lazy and then they can see the work has been done).
Will also find a price off them to do the cambelt.

So should get this booked in by end of week and hopefully new MOT by Saturday latest.

Then I will order new cam cover gasket and also sump gasket as I noticed a leak from this (surprised this didn't come up as advisory). Ive also got to replace the sump washer as its leaking from there since I changed the oil.
Dame

Post by Dame »

If you're still having trouble getting those cancer bars off, I did mine recently and found applying heat to the bolts loosened them nicely. Removal after that was dead easy just be careful to apply directly to the bolt and nothing around it.

TBH I struggle to see what the bars on the underneath actually achieve the way the vehicle is constructed suggests that this isn't exactly a flex point.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

markstevieandmads wrote:Also its on rev 2 L plate so what are the rules with regards to emmisions?

It won't need a cat test. No imports first used abroad prior to August 1995 need a cat test.
markstevieandmads

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
markstevieandmads wrote:Also its on rev 2 L plate so what are the rules with regards to emmisions?

It won't need a cat test. No imports first used abroad prior to August 1995 need a cat test.

thanks Peter. Well the car passed the emissions with flying colours .
I did manage to get the cancer bars off in the end . They were so rotten therewwasn't much leftof them.

Cams kill sent me tracking for my ball jointwhich should see me gget it today so gonna try and get the car in tomorrow instead of Thursday. All being well I should be back on the road Thursdaynight latest.
Then need to tax it end of month.

Return to “Mechanical”