P/S Light .. Confusing..

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Libertine

P/S Light .. Confusing..

Post by Libertine »

I've started the engine tonight and the P/S light came on, The steering wheel was insanely heavy so I turned off the engine and flicked it back on - but no luck..

I remember reading about flick ignition on and off around 50 times repeatedly ? I did it about twice with no luck but the 3rd time and it disappeared and the steering was back to normal..

What issue is this ? And more importantly.. how expensive can it get?
Slarty

Re: P/S Light .. Confusing..

Post by Slarty »

The issue is that the P/S relay can become "lazy" with age (hey don't we all lol) so turning the ignition on and off quickly kick starts it back into life.

To be honest unless it starts happening more regularly I wouldn't worry about it. I had it happen once in just over 6 years of owning my '2.

The ultimate cure is to replace the relay, but if I remember correctly they're fearsomely expensive, £150 rings a bell? There may be another work around but I can only vaguely remember talk of it.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

im getting this too.... its on my to do list, but since it doesn't bother me that much its fairly far down.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Everyone talks about this relay as if it's the only thing that could possibly ever go wrong with the PAS!

Why not read the error code? That'll tell you what the car thinks is wrong!

http://shinny.co.uk/toyota/MR2_SW_1993_ ... agnosi.pdf
cosmos

PAS

Post by cosmos »

Guilty on another car! but turn ignition to first position then turn to position 2 for starter engagement i think its possible to turn through pos1 to fast to then pos2 confusing to the relay, he who hesitates Rodney!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”