Gearbox refurb questions

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Polypedates

Gearbox refurb questions

Post by Polypedates »

Hi, I am currently restoring my gearbox and have a couple of questions:

1. These fell out of the casing somewhere, anybody know where they are supposed to live?

Spring and ball bearing both fit in cylinder and clearly are supposed to act on something internal.

2. What is this (reverse lever?) and can it be removed and if so how as I want to get it plated or painted if possible (everything else is)?

Thanks
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Gearbox refurb questions

Post by Peter Gidden »

1) Detent ball and spring. Fits against selector shaft.

There should be 3 of each, one set for each shaft.
Last edited by Peter Gidden on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

OK cool- but, err, whereabouts in the gearbox are they though?
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Aaah it was sitting behind the plug thing! That explains it then as I removed the plug to stop it getting paint on it whilst I painted the casing:

I can see the hole it came out of next to the other plug on top of the bell casing.

P Gidden, you are a gentleman and scholar sir!
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

:thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

A word of warning, if the detent is missing from the uppermost hole in your pic and you attempt to put the ball bearing in, it will drop into the case and not go where it is supposed to, there is a side hole in that detent that must be covered up when inserting the ball.

If it's the lower of those two detents then just insert it, it will be fine.

If you try on the top one though you're going to have to strip the box to get that ball bearing back out, so if you haven't tried it in the top hole yet, take the 5th gear casing off and stand the gearbox on its bellhousing face, cover the side hole with a screwdriver and insert the ball bearing.
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Hi Paul

I'm pretty certain the plug I removed (and thus the detent fell out of) came from the hole marked by the red arrow. Is this the one that is going to be problematic to install the detent ball back into?

I also removed a couple of small plugs from the location marked with the blue arrow but I don't recall seeing anything that would fall out of those.

Slightly worried now as the last thing I want to do is strip a gearbox :pale:
kevs aw11

Post by kevs aw11 »

Hi
i must say your workmanship is a credit to you :clap: :clap: :clap:
kev
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Polypedates wrote:Hi Paul

I'm pretty certain the plug I removed (and thus the detent fell out of) came from the hole marked by the red arrow. Is this the one that is going to be problematic to install the detent ball back into?

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... f12182.jpg

I also removed a couple of small plugs from the location marked with the blue arrow but I don't recall seeing anything that would fall out of those.

Slightly worried now as the last thing I want to do is strip a gearbox :pale:

If you installed the ball bearing into the blue arrow hole with the gearbox in that orientation then the ball will 100% have dropped into the gearbox, if it was the hole below that or the red arrow hole then it will be fine.
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

OK thanks Paul.

The ball bearing in upper hole marked by the blue arrow hasn't fallen out yet so I'll make sure the plug goes back in before I rotate the gearbox again.

The red arrow marks where the one that did fall out came from so will re-install it once painting in that area is complete.

Cheers.

i must say your workmanship is a credit to you

Thanks Kev :D
stenky

Post by stenky »

astounding job there. I did it the lazy way so i have just brush-painted the casing with all bolts in place in red colour. cant compare it to what you have done =P~

did you buy new bolts or did you have them all plated? what did you do with the casing? plated as well? it's much better for heat transfer than paint :)
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Hi Stenky

Fittings were all wire brushed to clean metal and re-plated. Gearbox casing is brush painted in silver POR-15 Engine Enamel. They do a range of colours, mostly associated with US marques as they are an American company.

Only one coat on bell housing end at the moment so need to do another so it has the same colour saturation as the rest of the gearbox.
stenky

Post by stenky »

This is my lazy job on Paul's 6spd. only thing I have bought new is clutch fork boot. i have por-15 starter kit in black so I might use it on some bolts here and there :)

Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Wow that's very red! :thumleft:

Apologies for the thread resurrection but I have another gearbox related question: Do these little clip things live on the gearbox output shafts in the groove shown?

Also are they meant to be this loose when fitted?

I'm 90% sure they do but want to be certain as apparently the output shafts just clip back into the gearbox (probably using said clips) but I want to be sure before I try lest it comes off in the gearbox casing and messes everything up.

coanda

Post by coanda »

Yes, the circlip does go in that grove. Whether it should be a loose fit or not, not sure!

Great work on that box!

coanda
1988 JDM AW11 SC - In the middle of restoration and repaint.

1998 UK SW20 Rev.5 - A nice daily driver with some cool bits and pieces.
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

It's pretty loose IIRC. I have a pair of mk1a axles in my garage but won't be home till sunday to check it.
stenky

Post by stenky »

yes, the clips are supposed to hang loose in the groove, but they should be tight enough so they won't come off the shaft easily.
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Thanks guys. I guess it is time to bite the bullet and refit them then :pray:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”