[FINALIZED] *MUST GO* Rev5 Turbo T-bar.

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

millentubby

*MUST GO* Rev5 Turbo T-bar.

Post by millentubby »

*Post updated 12/04/14 - Now definately for sale!*

W-reg Rev5 Turbo

Registered in March 2000, this is a very late MK2. There can't be many others with a Turbo engine that are on a W-plate.

119k miles on chassis, 75k miles on engine. Tax to 28/02/14. MOT to 17/07/2014 (No advisories). V5 is present, in my name and shows 6 previous owners.

I bought the car as a UK N/A in August 2013 as a long awaited return to MR2 ownership and have completed a lot of work since buying the car. I built her to keep as my ideal mr2, and as such ensure that I completed as much preventative maintenance as I could as I completed the conversion to save myself any trouble in the future. My circumstances, however, have changed and I can't justify having a plaything like this anymore.

Rev3 Turbo conversion;

The engine came from a crashed Rev3 Turbo with 73k on the clock. Before I installed the engine I fitted a new cambelt, genuine toyota cam cover gaskets, genuine toyota turbo gaskets, exhaust gaskets, genuine Toyota oil filter, genuine toyota cam shaft seals, genuine toyota turbo oil feed/return gaskets, powder coated cam cover (baffles removed, cleaned & reinstalled with machine screws), alternator drive belt, OEM clutch & release bearing, genuine toyota driveshaft oil seals. I also fitted a 255lph fuel pump. I replaced the Hose from Hell and the Hose from Hell On Earth just to save me any tears in future years. C20b (Stock Rev3) Turbocharger checked to ensure no excess play. Apexi induction kit fitted. Stock intercooler.

Now, I checked the engine over thoroughly before I fitted it, but neglected to do a leakdown/compression test as the previous owner had replaced the head gasket shortly before the car had been crashed. After the swap I had an issue with air getting into the coolant. I always shut her down as soon as the temp gauge began to rise. After a number of short shake-down runs the head gasket failed as I was taking her to the workshop for yet another fault find. I took a week's holiday from work in early January, dropped the engine out, stripped the engine and found a very poor quality head gasket had been used and subsequently failed. Thankfully no damage to head or block had occurred. I rebuilt the engine using a Genuine Toyota Multi Layer Steel head gasket, another new genuine Toyota oil filter, new head bolts, new Genuine Toyota exhaust /inlet manifold gaskets and new BKR7E spark plugs. Whilst the engine was out I decided to future proof the cooling system further and replaced the metal heater feed/return pipes that run above the fuel tank with braided PVC hoses.

Since this work has been completed I have completed over 1500 miles of mixed motorway, b-road and sitting in traffic with no concerns, overheating or loss of coolant whatsoever. I'll continue to use the car until she's sold because I like driving it, and I can, 'cos it's mine!

So...long story short - the mechanicals;

Rev3 Turbo engine - HG, Cambelt and lots of seals replaced.

3" stainless steel decat downpipe leading to 3" iMotoria exhaust with removable bungs. It was too loud for me so I bought the bungs - saps power a bit but makes it much more neighbour friendly. Still, takes 2 minutes to pop the bungs out when you want to go for a blast!

E153 LSD gearbox. I bought a new OEM clutch friction plate, pressure plate and release bearing and installed them as part of the conversion - there is a slight whir when you release the clutch in neutral but it isn't any cause for concern. I replaced both driveshaft oil seals aswell as a preventative measure. The gearbox oil is the correct (expensive!) Mobil 1 80/90 LSD stuff and won't need to be touched for a while. When I took the engine out again to do the headgasket I filtered the oil when I drained it - there were no metal filings whatsoever so the gearbox doesn't concern me.

Black Bilstein dampers with Tein lowering springs.

17" Enkei RP01 wheels.
215/40/17 front (Yoko Parada Spec2 -only covered approx 600 miles & Kumho)
245/40/17 rear (both Michelin).

New (refurbished) rear calipers, discs & pads. Braided stainless steel brake hoses.

Heater hoses from engine to heater matrix replaced with braided PVC hose as preventative maintenance whilst fuel tank was out.

Good condition Turbo radiator installed (with two rad fans).

Boost gauge in centre vent.

255lph fuel pump.

Both rear wheel bearings replaced (NSR in Jan 2014, and OSR in April 2014).

On to the exterior;

Tbar, 3E5 Super Red II. Previous owner has wrapped the spoiler blade and rear centre panel in carbon-effect vinyl. I planned on removing this, but it has grown on me and now I prefer it!

As you can see from the pics below just a quick wash brings her up beautifully and I forgot all about the compliments you get from strangers when you pull over! She isn't perfect though - there is a little lacquer peel on the roof, the bonnet has started to fade a little (a polish would cure this, but time and the weather have been against me), the front & rear bumpers have minor paintwork crazing (you need to get very close to notice it) and there are various minor stone-chips and scratches on the car, many of which I'm sure would vanish if a warm sunny saturday were spent detailing her. The Enkei wheels have been recently powder coated and just need a wipe with a sponge to bring them up beautifully! One of them was professionally repaired (welded) before powdercoating but they all hold their pressures with no issues and balance up just fine. There are no concerns with rust whatsoever - underneath is completely rust free. I've spent a LOT of time underneath her doing the turbo conversion - the sills are clean with no issues, arches are clean with no issues.

The interior is Rev5 leather with red stitching. Seats are in good condition for year with no rips, tears or discolouring. Snazzy Kenwood Bluetooth headunit fitted with iPhone5 connector hidden in centre ashtray. Boost gauge in central airvent. Light grey headlining with both t-bar shades present and correct.

The T-bar leaked when I first bought the car - upon investigation I found the fore/aft roof drain gulleys were all full of silicon sealant. I removed the sealant and reapplied some in the correct places using the 'black sealant & cling film' method - no more drips.

Selling for £4000, located 5 minutes from Edinburgh Airport. No part-ex.

Here's some pics from last weekend. If you want me to take any close-ups of any specific areas just ask.

The engine bay. Note Apexi induction kit & powdercoated cam cover in gunmetal grey.

Seats are in very good condition considering mileage. No rips, tears or nasty worn out patches.

Some pics from the work I completed recently;

Black Bilsteins (off Rev3 Turbo with 73k miles) Tein Springs, brand new rear calipers, discs and pads, iMotoria exhaust (it is a bit loud) stainless braided hoses can be seen here. MR2's in the background looking on (they're not mine!)

Engine after I had replaced headgasket, timing belt, exhaust/intake manifold/cam cover gaskets, alternator belt, clutch & release bearing. You can see aftermarket 3" decat pipe (original cat downpipe can be included in sale)

Deck meticulously prepared - checked for straightness on all planes. Bores inspected (no concerns) and thoroughly checked to ensure the block was not cracked.

Head in foreground after surface preparation and checking surfaces on all planes. The head was skimmed/surface ground when the previous owner of the engine replaced the headgasket (with a poor quality composite replacement item which failed very quickly). I checked to see how much material had been removed and it was less than 0.1mm which is within Toyota workshop manual tolerances.

To recap - Selling for £4000, located 5 minutes from Edinburgh Airport. No part-ex.
Last edited by millentubby on Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
synXero

Re: [FINALIZED] *MUST GO* Rev5 Turbo T-bar.

Post by synXero »

My old Enkeis - and Michelins! These were on the Beams at one stage.

GLWTS. Lots of nice turbos come up recently. Mark should buy this back from you...
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

Indeed they are your old wheels Calum!

I did PM Mark (I bought the car from him as a Rev5 NA) before I started this for sale thread - it's always nice to let the previous owner have first dibs!

If weather & time permit I'll get a video walk round of the car to post up this weekend.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

If I didn't have too many cars & projects already I'd be very tempted :)
Peter

1989 MR2 Mk1 NA T-bar
1998 Ssangyong Korando GLS
2011 Honda Civic Type R
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

I've been watching Kevin McCloud's Man Made programme on 4OD this afternoon. If you're not familiar with this programme he basically builds his own off-grid, renewable hideaway in the woods.

It's got me thinking about the feeling you get, and the connection you have with something you've built for yourself. It's beyond pride of possession, or gaining compliments from others for the fruits of your labours. It's a deeper connection between your efforts and who you are when nobody is looking. I suppose this car is so much more than just a car to me - it's excitement, satisfaction, achievement and introspective pride. You need all of that in your life to really call it living.

I think I need to do the sums again and work out whether I really have to sell up. I'm not hard-up by any means, I just strive for high ideals and sometimes lose sight of the bigger picture.
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

Still for sale :(

£4000 - offers welcome.
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

Really wish I had the money for this. Its exactly the spec I want. Swap for a broken clio 172 and a broken rev 3 na with no interior? :P

(kidding of course).
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

WAAAAAIIIITTTT!!!!

I can't do it! I logged on last night to check the ad, and as soon as the pics of *my* car came up I felt those feels. Those deep down emotional feels.

Selling my Yaris instead - guy coming to look at it this weekend.

NOT FOR SALE!

Going to get a quieter exhaust, play about with the wheels/suspension setup to make it more compliant over the bumps & enjoy spending the additional money on fuel each month - because I can, and I want to, and it makes me feel good! :D
synXero

Post by synXero »

That a booooy.

Now come to Crail on March 2nd.
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Great decision :clap:
mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie »

Nice one, glad you're keeping her, she's a cracker!
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

A month on and I'm still glad I kept her!

Sold my sensible Yaris diesel a few weeks ago and bought a Motorbike - got my bike test at the weekend so soon I'll be able to commute on the bike and save the MR2 from the drudgery of the commute.

My only concern is if I love riding the bike I may end up selling the MR2 to get a bigger bike!

Classic Colin. I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure. :|
synXero

Post by synXero »

millentubby wrote:A month on and I'm still glad I kept her!

Sold my sensible Yaris diesel a few weeks ago and bought a Motorbike - got my bike test at the weekend so soon I'll be able to commute on the bike and save the MR2 from the drudgery of the commute.

My only concern is if I love riding the bike I may end up selling the MR2 to get a bigger bike!

Classic Colin. I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure. :|

I was sure this was going to be a 'sold it' post!

Fancy coming up to the bangers world championships at Lochgelly, 13th April? Edin Sports Cars group are going.
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

Ok, so the 'changes in circumstances' I was prattling on about previously have come into effect.

I bought a diesel barge for soaking up the motorway mileage but now I'm storing and insuring 2 cars and a motorbike I've come to the realisation that I can't have it all :(

So...with a heavy heart she's back up for sale.

I'll tidy up the first post as I've done a few bits and bobs since I started this thread, but will link to this so anyone viewing can see the full story.

No P/ex.

£4k gets you your very own head-turning, 0-60 burning, passenger-gurning, stomach churning, sunny-day yearning...ok I'll stop.
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

Opening post edited to show up-to-date info.
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

Still for sale.

*price drop*

£3800 Ono.
Feedback Bot

Post by Feedback Bot »

This Sale has been completed. The Buyer was Non-Member

Return to “MR2s for Sale”