MR2 how much are they worth?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

b4ss

MR2 how much are they worth?

Post by b4ss »

Hi,
We all know MR2s are getting cheaper n cheaper, but i know myself i would pay anything for a rev4/5 in mint...

When you look at something like Cossies they are mad money, do you think MR2s are ever going to appreciate..
T
Draven

Re: MR2 how much are they worth?

Post by Draven »

I don't think they will untill there are only a couple of hundred left on the road. The mk1 has held its value well you can pay a decent amount for a non rusty one. :thumleft:
Nic

Post by Nic »

There's been a sharp rise in the price of Supras lately in Japan, the same may happen to the MR2 as they become rarer. Thread here on the subject

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread ... -12-months
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
cosmos

MR2

Post by cosmos »

Dealer mentioned that Toyota regard the MR2 as an iconic vehicle in connection with supply and sales of spares.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

I'm on my fifth mr2 now and they're like any other car. You get what you pay for. I just paid 2400 for my rev5 N/A but shes in excellent condition with low miles. There's a massive difference between cars in term of condition but they are old cars now. Ironically though, I paid the same amount for my rev5 this year that I did for my rev1 over ten years ago so technically for the year of the car they haven't actually depreciated at all overall.

I had an mk1 eunos roadster between MR2s and ten years ago they were 4k plus. Now you can an excellent one up for 1500 quid so they've hit rock bottom completely.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

I'm on my fifth mr2 now and they're like any other car. You get what you pay for. I just paid 2400 for my rev5 N/A but shes in excellent condition with low miles. There's a massive difference between cars in term of condition but they are old cars now. Ironically though, I paid the same amount for my rev5 this year that I did for my rev1 over ten years ago so technically for the year of the car they haven't actually depreciated at all overall.

I had an mk1 eunos roadster between MR2s and ten years ago they were 4k plus. Now you can an excellent one up for 1500 quid so they've hit rock bottom completely.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

With the Cossies, you may see lots for sale at silly prices but many aren't selling at those prices. The Rs500's have gone through the roof because there was only 500 made and with time they have become appreciated. I personally know of one that has sold for 90k recently but that car was extremely special from what I've know. The 3dr Cossies (which the 500 was based on) seem to have a top value of about 15 to 20 but anything special could go higher.

The thing that has made their value rise is a few things I think, there aren't many decent ones about as they were quite rare to start with. The people that are buying them couldn't afford back in the 90's when insurance was stupid. The race history of the 500's puts them above the 3dr's and Sapphire Cossies and something the 2's don't have. Anyone that is looking for a Cosworth at the moment (myself included) will tell you that there aren't that many good ones left and people are pricing their cars too high. There are crap 7k/8k Saphs being advertised and then there is the odd 4/5k one that are solid bases that just need a little work.

Do I think Mr2's values can rise, in my opinion prices will rise but nothing spectacular. The cars collectors want are low mileage original cars and I don't think there are that many 2's especially turbo that haven't been modified. There are just too many 2's about for them to be rare enough to appreciate as classic car value is all in supply and demand like everything else.
No 2 :(
spud_edwards

Post by spud_edwards »

I think the price will appreciate, 5 years ago you could pick up a mk1 with t+t for £500, now you're talking nearer £1k. As cars get rarer their value will increase
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

MR2 Rich wrote:With the Cossies, you may see lots for sale at silly prices but many aren't selling at those prices. The Rs500's have gone through the roof because there was only 500 made and with time they have become appreciated. I personally know of one that has sold for 90k recently but that car was extremely special from what I've know. The 3dr Cossies (which the 500 was based on) seem to have a top value of about 15 to 20 but anything special could go higher.

The thing that has made their value rise is a few things I think, there aren't many decent ones about as they were quite rare to start with. The people that are buying them couldn't afford back in the 90's when insurance was stupid. The race history of the 500's puts them above the 3dr's and Sapphire Cossies and something the 2's don't have. Anyone that is looking for a Cosworth at the moment (myself included) will tell you that there aren't that many good ones left and people are pricing their cars too high. There are crap 7k/8k Saphs being advertised and then there is the odd 4/5k one that are solid bases that just need a little work.

Do I think Mr2's values can rise, in my opinion prices will rise but nothing spectacular. The cars collectors want are low mileage original cars and I don't think there are that many 2's especially turbo that haven't been modified. There are just too many 2's about for them to be rare enough to appreciate as classic car value is all in supply and demand like everything else.

Im putting my turbo back to standard for this reason. I think they are excellent cars as standard and are plenty quick enough for me and will stand out from the crowd if I sell as its standard.
Any slight modification (such as a mbc) can be put back to standard easily.
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

To me mines priceless I turned down a 1999,year turbo to get my 1992 turbo back.

Ps 1999 turbo cosmos blue and very good price belongs to a customer of mine.
RST

Post by RST »

See it all day every day with the Toyota guys.

Mine's worthless

Yours is worthless

....everything is scrap.

I've watched this over the past 6/7 years. Never understood why Toyota owners de-value their marques so much whereas other marques try to stay positive. Most other folk are "bigging up", their marques, allot of Toyota guys always "dumb down", Toyota not worth it now ...."Honda you say??!!""""

I think the only folk who drove down prices were the clubs!!!!!!!!!! It's slowly started to come up this past 6 months though. Started to see some decent MR2's selling for half -right prices.
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

RX7s have seemed to hold value well.

When I bought one ten years ago now, I paid £5k for one in excellent condition with a rebuild etc etc.

Now, you'll pay £5k for an average condition one. The one I bought back then would have sold for around £6k now

Its a bigger as Im buying one again haha
Nails

Post by Nails »

I've been looking at the for sale ads and there doesnt seem to be many turbos at all for sale.
I've struggled on with mine and a baby but now hes 2 in a few months and another 1 planned this year I'll have to sell mine as its just not getting used and I want a nice car I can continue to use.
With the shifts we work its my job to drop him off at the grandparents everyday so with 1 its doable however awkward getting him in and out but with 2 its going to be impossible.
I'm thinking of either getting rid soon or keep another year till she would be planning on going back to work after the second one and sell up then. Ive still got a loft full of toms stuff and a radtec I wanted to fit but havent the time for that anymore :(
Even the weekly wash/wax and normal maintenance is getting harder to find the time for.
biggest worry is selling up and then wanting another 1. Been there and done that. Three times lol.
I think it might be certainly easier to sell with the lack of decent ones for sale.
RST

Post by RST »

There's lots more UK cars than imports end of.

I was looking for a year or so, sale ads were usually:

MR GT...

...darn, GT-i NOT GT

MR2 GT...

...darn, another GT-i NOT a GT

MR2 GT...

...WTF, look at the badge on the back, it's a UK GT-i car, not a GT tubby FFS!

You just have to keep looking and keep disregarding chavved up posts adverts.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”