[Mk2] [Turbo] Front Bumper Grill Fitting

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nic

[Mk2] [Turbo] Front Bumper Grill Fitting

Post by Nic »

I've bought some stainless steel woven mesh to make a grill for the front bumper, just wondering how others have attached the mesh to the rear of the bumper? Any ideas welcome.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
2tmike

mesh

Post by 2tmike »

unclip the black vertical trim bits and fix the mesh with cable ties to the vertical bars the trims were clipped to...then replace
stuMR2lee

Re: mesh

Post by stuMR2lee »

2tmike wrote:unclip the black vertical trim bits and fix the mesh with cable ties to the vertical bars the trims were clipped to...then replace

+1. Also a bit of garden wire (twisted to fix in place) works.
mattm117

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Front Bumper Grill Fitting

Post by mattm117 »

Wire works quite well. I used the copper earth out of some 1.5mm twin & earth electrical cable.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Thanks guys, going to be fitting it this week if this rain ever stops!
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Post your results.
Im doing mine sometime in the next few weeks and it would be good to see how someone else had done theirs.
I was planning on using some thick double sided tape and a bead of silicone (or similar) to do mine.

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
Nic

Post by Nic »

http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/ ... -c749.html

I bought Lockwood stainless steal woven mesh, very good quality and reasonable price. I've cut to size using tin snips, going to spray with etch primer and then paint black. Should be easy to wire/cable tie the mesh to the uprights on the bumper as described above. I'm swapping the bumper over anyway so doing this with it off the car.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
RST

Post by RST »

Great simple mod to do. Saves stones knackering the rad also. When I got my first MR2 I was in the 'dc and foolishly paid for their kit, which at the end of the day was just a £5 mesh and some small tiewraps. Little trick with tiewraps is to pinch them and bend the free end round like in a "hook" shape (teeth work great for small ones though my mother would have kittens), then it tends to find itself round what you're securing it to, you can usually fish the free end out from the front then -not needing a third hand to feed the loose end through from the back :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”