Newby Member (Krawl) Intro & Questions

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Krawl

Newby Member (Krawl) Intro & Questions

Post by Krawl »

Not sure if posted in the correct place so please move me if not, thanks.

Hi everyone. I'm new here. My name is Tom, I'm 28, and I live near Peterborough.

I've just signed up as I'm considering getting a mk2 MR2 Turbo as a weekend toy and project car.

I have owned a mk2 before(pics to follow), it was a rev1 2.0 GT T-Bar in black. I absolutely loved it, but the previous owners had stuffed the engine full of radweld, something I had over looked as I'm not a mechanic by a long stretch. The block had a crack in it, and the replacement engine I bought for it never showed, the company went bust and disappeared and I never got my money back.
She sat on the drive for a year or two before I finally scrapped it as Times were really tight :(

I now drive a mk6.5 Fiesta ST with various modifications(pics to follow), but it just isn't fast enough in a straight line, for me. Nor does it have the same sporty feel that my MR2 had, the driving position and interior (full leather) really were spot on and felt like a proper sports car!

I will keep the Fiesta as my daily, as I'm aware of how unreliable these old cars can be, and tinker with the Toymota at the weekends.

Can you take out a separate insurance policy for a second car, or do I need multicar insurance? Also who do you guys advise I try with? Currently with Elephant, paying around £300 fully comp with 3yrs NCB and I'm 28, no convict or points atm and that's the 10 month fast track.

I will probably try to buy a member's car as I think they're generally better looked after. I'm not quite sure when I'm going to have the funds for it, but as and when, I'd hopefully be aiming for upwards of 300bhp and towards the 450-500bhp mark. How much does it usually cost to take a stock MR2 to those sort of figures, bearing in mind I have no space to work on it myself so would be bought not built, more than likely.
What sort of figures can you reach safely and still have reliability on stock internals?

My goals/dream, probably more accurate, is to buy a mk2 MR2 Turbo, T-Bar. Stock or modified, it doesn't matter. Then plans to restore exterior condition to rust free, dent free etc. Pick a body kit, I like the Bomex one, purchase some wheels like Rota grids or drift (I know it's been done to death), then respray or paint correction, coilovers, bucket seats and harnesses, exhaust system, air filter, intercooler or charge cooler and begin the engine mods route.
Colour scheme, I'm thinking black with purple wheels, purple exterior detailing, and interior seats etc. Orange instead of purple can work, or green (My fiesta is blue and used to have green wheels, but now white) I like the Leary(sp?) and bold colours.

I'm writing this as I should be sleeping so a little tired. Please forgive me if it's a cliche post and you hear it from every other new member :P I shall edit this once I've woken and find some appropriate photos on my PC.

Thanks in advance for reading and replies.

Tom

Return to “Member Profiles”