Fuel Consumption

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GHOST

Fuel Consumption

Post by GHOST »

Ok, done a thousand times before but I can't find a previous thread and I know everyone just loves talking about this #-o

I took Peters advice and actually put a full tank in and got 270 miles on a full tank. I think it was about the 60 quid mark and it was in the red.

My journeys usually consist of to work and back which is around 5 miles so its always shorter runs, and its winter I guess.

The car idles at around 2000rpm on start up when cold and settles at 1000, maybe just slightly below.

Sound normal for the runs and time of year? I probably could have squeezed another 20 miles out of her actually as the light wasn't yet on.

Its a REV5 N/A with 76k on the clock. Standard aside from a mongoose exhaust.

Cheers,

David
synXero

Re: Fuel Consumption

Post by synXero »

Sounds absolutely normal bud. You might improve it a touch with some refreshed components, but not by a huge amount. Your 5 mile drive starting cold each time is the single most important factor.
glen n

Post by glen n »

I'm just back from a trip to peters,I filled the tank and I would have just made it there before running out but didn't take the risk. So I worked it out at about 245 miles to a tank heading down there. On the way home I was pretty much the same even with the car needing mapped.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Cheers mate. I guess the days off getting almost 400 to a tank are gone. I remember those days but it was 1999!
synXero

Post by synXero »

glen n wrote:I'm just back from a trip to peters,I filled the tank and I would have just made it there before running out but didn't take the risk. So I worked it out at about 245 miles to a tank heading down there. On the way home I was pretty much the same even with the car needing mapped.

That doesn't sounds as good to me... A long motorway journey? I'd have thought 330-350 was achievable.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

To get an accurate measurement of MPG you need to fill up, drive until nearly empty, fill up again and see how many litres you've used for the amount of miles driven.

Divide the litres by 4 (for rough calculation purposes, it's 4.4 to be nearer) and then you have your MPG. £60 doesn't mean anything as petrol prices vary.

For info, around town in my old Rev3 turbo, I'd get around the 22-25 mark but on longer, motorway journeys, I'd see nearer or just over the 30mpg mark.

N/A's "should" be a little higher mpg figures as they're not throwing fuel into the combustion chamber like it's going out of fashion lol.
mrturbotom

Post by mrturbotom »

Rev3+ turbos tend to be better than the na day to day. My rev3 turbo weekly returned 350miles from clicking off at the pump to the fuel light. Doing motorway journeys I managed just over 400 miles as a personal best.
Driving to silverstone and doing 2 track sessions I still got 280 miles out of it

From my rev2 + 3 na they averaged 270-300 miles to a tank

My rev1 turbo returned 300 to a tank

Where as my current rev2 turbo averages 180-250 to a tank depending on my journeys
danjama

Post by danjama »

I was worried that my rev3 NA is getting about 300 to a tank but from this thread that seems about average! Oh well, cant grumble about it anymore...
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

I thought it was just my mind playing tricks, but I seem to be able to get in the region of 2-3 round trips to London and back from mine (full tank to the light). That's about 30-35 miles each way :shock:
danjama

Post by danjama »

That seems poor :-k

3 round trips of 30 miles each is only 180 miles. Is that A roads/M way?
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

GHOST wrote:Ok, done a thousand times before but I can't find a previous thread ...

Thought we recently covered it here http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=175150

A much more accurate way is to fill the car up (and zero the trip meter), and fill the car up again when the gauge gets low (one or two small lines above empty, or earlier if the reserve light comes on!). The trip meter then gives the actual distance covered for the ltrs put in so the economy calculation is more accurate....

Using this method, both of my rev3 turbos are doing around 440 km on 40 ltrs of super unleaded. That is approx 11 km per litre.

If the tacho clocks up km instead of miles, the km/ltr number is much more useful guide than mpg if you always fill it up when refueling.

For example:

For my cars, 11 km/ltr suggests it might go 495 km (309 miles) on 45 ltrs, or it might go 550 km (343 miles) on 50 ltrs. (Personally I dont like trying to use more than 40-45 ltrs of the 55 ltr capacity).

Rounding down to 10 km/ltr to allow a bigger margin of error in the tacho and fuel pump readings suggests it might go 450 km (281 miles) on 45 ltrs, or it might go 500 km (312 miles) on 50 ltrs.

It might not go those distances if something happens to make the fuel economy worse!
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

danjama wrote:That seems poor :-k

More like stop start traffic all the way with a binding brake? What mods has the car got?
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

danjama wrote:That seems poor :-k

Pretty much. A few miles on normal main roads to the motorway, average drive down the motorway with a bit of boost here and there and then a few miles along A406 and A40 in London. I think three trips is pushing it, more like a comfortable two going into a risky three.

rev3gtturbo wrote:More like stop start traffic all the way with a binding brake? What mods has the car got?

3" Downpipe with decat, Carbon air filter, Japspeed rear section, Greddy Profec B-Spec II and aftermarket SMIC.

As far as I know, brakes are all ok.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Willenium

My tubbies are standard or nearly standard (air filter/dump valve) and
will easily do 3 round trips of 50 miles each way with some boost opportunities on free flowing A roads and motorways.

With the long commutes I do I am glad I dont have your low mpg!
Harold

Post by Harold »

rev3gtturbo wrote:Willenium

My tubbies are standard or nearly standard (air filter/dump valve) and
will easily do 3 round trips of 50 miles each way with some boost opportunities on free flowing A roads and motorways.

With the long commutes I do I am glad I dont have your low mpg!

Same, mine is mostly standard and 90% of my driving is short journeys through town with lots of stops & starts and I generally get between 180-220 to most of a tank. If I cruise on the motorway at 70 with minimal/no boost then I seem to get 100 miles per 1/4 tank, so maybe 400 to a full tank (haven't measured my mpg or done a full tank on a slow cruise).
Timmo

Post by Timmo »

I drive a 34 mile round trip to work in my standard rev 3 N/A. Some nose to tail/heavy traffic followed by a short motorway stint, then flowing A roads. If I brim the tank with V-Power I can get 325-360 miles before the gauge gets a bit to low for my liking. 400 is achievable on a motorway run if you stick to around 70.
andy585

Post by andy585 »

bradford to irvine in half a tank when i bought my tubby standard that was nursing it home 65mph very little boost
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

You got to be thrashing it all the way or something not right with you car, my rev3 turbo got around 180miles off a full tank on a wet day out on the A-roads with a boot full of tools etc and my foot rarely came off boost as it was a day out with Calum aka Synexro and Glen N, also they both got more mpg.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Gullzter wrote:You got to be thrashing it all the way or something not right with you car, my rev3 turbo got around 180miles off a full tank on a wet day out on the A-roads with a boot full of tools etc and my foot rarely came off boost as it was a day out with Calum aka Synexro and Glen N, also they both got more mpg.

:lol: yours was bleeding fuel that day! Is it any better on fuel since?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

I get about 250 to the tank but I tend to drive a bit Miss Daisy like :oops: though I don't spare the boost or rpm if there's an overtake to be done :thumleft: rev3 turbo, 17psi :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”