[Mk2] [Generic] new wheels, not keen :(

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

[Mk2] [Generic] new wheels, not keen :(

Post by Ryan S »

ok, so i got offered a set of rota D2s for next to nothing, i needed 2 new rear tyres anyway, and had 2 sets of 17" inch tyres that would fit,, having seen them on mr2s before i thought yeah great,

anyway, got the tyres fitted, wheels balanced and fitted, and i just don't like them, they make the car look odd, it's maybe the colour, on top of that, i have a big brake kit coming in a few weeks, and there's absolutely no chance the calipers will fit under the wheels. :(

so my only option is to swap them for something bigger :roll: if anyone has a set of wheels and tyres and would like to swap, gimme a shout :thumleft: tyres are near new!!!

Last edited by Ryan S on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] new wheels, not keen :(

Post by craig »

I think they look good, just sit in too far, as they're ET45 aren't they? Same as stock 15s.

The sideskirts make them look even further sat in the arches. Set of hubcentrics spacers and you'd be good to go, only downside is that 2 sets of spacers will be about £225.

Why are you fitting a big brake kit out of interest? Big power? Didn't you consider that before buying the wheels? #-o
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

RedMR² wrote:I think they look good, just sit in too far, as they're ET45 aren't they? Same as stock 15s.

The sideskirts make them look even further sat in the arches. Set of hubcentrics spacers and you'd be good to go, only downside is that 2 sets of spacers will be about £225.

Why are you fitting a big brake kit out of interest? Big power?

yeah they're 45, the main problem is the big brake kit, however, with spacers, they mate well fit as the wheels are bigger internally further back.
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

Aren't they D1s, what are the widths? I like them (I have some) but the skirts mean they need spacing on rear a bit
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

sheppy wrote:it's maybe the colour

Yeah, yellow does that. Paint the car black? :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

RikH77 wrote:Aren't they D1s, what are the widths? I like them (I have some) but the skirts mean they need spacing on rear a bit

they could be D1s, i was told they are D2s but they are both pretty similar, when i get my brake kit i'll have to measure and see if the brakes will fit with spacers, if not, i'll need to get shot of these, oh, the widths are 7inch on all 4. annoyingly, the tyres i had wern't staggered like i originally thought :(

hahaha, thanks for that Peter :) i;ve always wanted a yellow mr2 :lol: (also, check your PMs) :thumleft:
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

I read somewhere that the D1 and D2 are the same, just varies depending on country. I have D2's and I like them although the big brake kit is very unlikely to go under them.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Willenium wrote:I read somewhere that the D1 and D2 are the same, just varies depending on country. I have D2's and I like them although the big brake kit is very unlikely to go under them.

yeah, there's no way it'll fit mate, these are in the for sale section :D
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Yeah saw them after reading this thread. I'm probably just going to give the big brake kit to my brother. He'll need it more than I do (not that I am in any way disappointed with the Rev3 braking I hasten to add).
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Willenium wrote:Yeah saw them after reading this thread. I'm probably just going to give the big brake kit to my brother. He'll need it more than I do (not that I am in any way disappointed with the Rev3 braking I hasten to add).

yeah same, the brakes are fine, the reason i'm changing is that i need new discs and pads anyway, so quite fancy the change, getting the kit for a great price so would be silly to refuse :thumleft:
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

To my eyes all black wheels look odd on an MR2 that is not black.
Some people like black wheels... :eye:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

rev3gtturbo wrote:
Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

To my eyes all black wheels look odd on an MR2 that is not black.
Some people like black wheels... :eye:

i hate black wheels, these are purple :shock:
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Rattlecan time!!

Just brightened mine
Marf

Post by Marf »

Your enkeis looked way better :-$
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Marf wrote:Your enkeis looked way better :-$

i know :( they've just been picked up for the new owner too. ach, the enkeis were too small for my new brakes so it makes no difference really, although, i still need bigger wheels :lol: :lol:

Return to “Modifications”